User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Using airmiles dream rewards for TFSA (Bank of Montreal)

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

I have a lot of dream rewards saved up in my Air Miles account and was checking out the best way to use these rewards as we don't have any travel plans and also don't want to lose these airmiles when they expire (I believe Dec 2016). I noticed that a person can redeem for a voucher towards TFSA with Bank of Montreal. Does anyone have experience with this?
    This thread is currently associated with: Air Miles
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I don't have any experience with this but it sounds like a good way to use your dream miles and then have the gov't kick in their 20% grant! Maybe just phone BMO and check re any associated fees etc.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

OP, that sound like a good use of Air Miles. It's like free money.
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

How long is the lifespan on Air Miles now? Is it five years? We plan to travel next year, hopefully none expire before then.
    Ciel likes this.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    I don't have any experience with this but it sounds like a good way to use your dream miles and then have the gov't kick in their 20% grant! Maybe just phone BMO and check re any associated fees etc.
    The govt wouldn't kick in a grant seeing as this is a tfsa - not resp I could only wish lol
    Ciel likes this.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    How long is the lifespan on Air Miles now? Is it five years? We plan to travel next year, hopefully none expire before then.
    From my reading up on this, I think the earliest that any air miles can expire is Dec 2016, but I'm not entirely certain of this. We looked into using some airmiles for air travel to Europe and we would have to pay over $600 ourselves just on taxes and fees - it's downright ridiculous. So I'm thinking of cashing in all those air miles for a TFSA (if that is possible) and then eventually just using the cash if needed. Somehow this makes more sense to me but I may be missing something....
    super_e and Ciel like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

A pair of tickets to Europe for $600 sounds fairly reasonable? Or am I out to lunch? I can't get my family to Florida that cheap.
    Ciel likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I've redeem miles for TFSA several times. The only catch is you have to wait for a period (forgot how many days 30 or 60) before you can withdraw.
    Ciel likes this.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

A pair of tickets to Europe for $600 sounds fairly reasonable? Or am I out to lunch? I can't get my family to Florida that cheap.
    It would be one ticket and I would have to use most all my airmiles. The $600 is for taxes and fees over and above airmiles used for one ticket. I now just redeemed less airmiles for $1000 in BMO investment certificates.
    Ciel likes this.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by AmieT View Post
    I've redeem miles for TFSA several times. The only catch is you have to wait for a period (forgot how many days 30 or 60) before you can withdraw.
    That wouldn't be a problem. I'm definitely going for a TFSA as well - I just spoke to a BMO staff member today and they said no problem. There won't be any fees even though I don't bank there.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Just think this is a great way to get some banking action via loyalty program.
    momof5boys likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    It would be one ticket and I would have to use most all my airmiles. The $600 is for taxes and fees over and above airmiles used for one ticket. I now just redeemed less airmiles for $1000 in BMO investment certificates.
    Oh I see. I've never flown with air miles (hope to do so in about a year), so didn't know what the rates would be. But how much would the flight be if you had to pay for it without air miles?
    Last edited by Zonny; Sat, Oct 18th, 2014 at 07:05 AM.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Oh I see. I've never flown with air miles (hope to do so in about a year), so didn't know what the rates would be. But how much would the flight be if you had to pay for it without air miles?
    We have flown to Europe with our family numerous times and the cost really hasn't changed much over the years - about 1200 per ticket depending on when you fly. A person would have to pay $600 in fees and taxes if using airmiles, so I am assuming that the flight would cost $600 per person. Now I'm taking the investment certificates and putting them into a BMO TFSA and can always pull the money from there if wanting to use it for a flight. At least I don't lose my money with points expiring - that was my main fear that they would just up and expire these points that have been sitting in my account for literally years and years.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Sounds like you have a good plan Mom of 5 boys. I hate those airmiles fees too-way too high for a "free" ticket. Somehow I read RESP when you clearly wrote TFSA so that is why I thought you would get the 20% govt grant-so thanks for correcting that!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I don't think they're air miles fees. Many travel rewards don't include the taxes on flights.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information