User Tag List

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: Time of Use Electricity Rates

Who knows ... but I Would Rather Be Someone's Shot of Whiskey, Than Everyone's Cup of Tea
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    I switched to flat rate as I never go over 1,000 kwh a month. That way I can use hydro whenever I want and avoid the expensive day time rates.
    This was our thought process also. Pleased to-date.
    Just a note that the 1000KWh is for winter and for summer it drops to 600. Even with this lower threshold it made sense for us as we rarely go over 600 even in the air conditioning season and if we do the higher rate for the amount over 600 is still significantly less than the highest rate with TOU.
    Last edited by GoodBoy; Mon, Apr 19th, 2021 at 09:02 PM.
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 1 others like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

We also switched to tiered, when I compared a year of Hydro Bills it showed if we used the same amount of Hydro this year we would pay $2 more for the whole year switching to tiered. So far this year we have used less Hydro but even if it cost me $2 more for the whole year being able to do what needs to be done when it needs to be done vs waiting for off peak, yep $2 more is worth my sanity.

It has been nice, since I am working remotely this means I can get things done during the week vs saving all of our household tasks for the weekend to do during off-peak.
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 1 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Who knows ... but I Would Rather Be Someone's Shot of Whiskey, Than Everyone's Cup of Tea
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Well so far, in this hot summer (hottish anyway) the Tiered has been superb!

It really has been great not worrying about what time of day I want to use hydro.

Just received the bill for the period end of June to end of July and even with AC running alot in that period we still squeeked in under the 600 KWh threshold for the upper tier price! Yay! LOL ... we used 591 KWh.

So that also has worked out! Being able to run AC in the middle of the day without concern of high rates was a godsend last month.

So far, anyway, the decision has turned out to be a good one!

Shall see if it continues that way.
    barbis9, coupon girl and Ciel21 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hydro rate holiday-today's use is billed at weekend rates!
    Good thing, as sibling left his fan on blast then swanned off on his motorbike. Must have been almost 1/2 hr of fan without human upstairs.
    barbis9 likes this.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Well Sep 01 2021 and I received a surprise today when I viewed the Toronto Hydro bill online. It was a pleasantly good surprise!!

This past month has been a stinker in terms of heat - no kidding. We have a century home so no central AC but we do have ductless AC on the third and second floors and it tends to work its way down to the main floor where we have a large fan moving the air around. That has allowed us to keep the heat very manageable with no issues. Also we have been running the dehumidifier in the basement 24 hours a day since June.

So with the 2 AC units running pretty much 24x7 for the past month etc I was bracing for a huge hydro bill.
    Surprise!! Not anywhere what I thought it would be!! YAY!!

Given these are the same AC units etc as last hot summer 2020 I checked to see the cost then. In the same time period last year we paid around 160$ before a much bigger Ontario Govt rebate last year. This year? $120.00!! That is a huge reduction in cost. Now this is the base cost before the Ont Govt rebate and the $40/month rebates we get ... so I have to attribute this to moving to Tiered Hydro usage this year as compared to Time Of Use last year.

Our hourly costs this past period were 9.8c KWh for the first 600KWH and this month we went over 600KWH so the cost for an additional 60 KWh was 11.5 cents per KWh. If we had been on TOU this period the highest and mid periods would have been 11.3 and 17c !! The lowest would have been 8.2c/KWH.

So for us the move to Tiered pricing has really paid off!! This year was 660KWH and last year was 600KWH in the same periods.

So happy to have made the change!!

Now what can I spend the extra $$ on -- LOL
    barbis9 and Ciel21 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

As of November 01 2021 the Winter period for hydro use in Ontario is now in progress. Some good and bad changes

---

Residential rate changes

Changes as of November 1, 2021

Effective November 1, 2021, the Ontario Energy Board (OEB) announced no changes to Time-of-Use (TOU) and Tiered prices for customers under the Regulated Price Plan (RPP).
    However, the winter TOU hours and the change in the Tier thresholds for customers on Tiered pricing will take effect November 1 as usual. The provincial government also announced a decrease in the Ontario Electricity Rebate (OER) from 18.9% to 17.0%.
    These rates will automatically be applied to your bill — no customer action is required.
    Ciel21 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Ontario rates as of 2021-11-01

Name:  Rates.gif
Views: 219
Size:  63.5 KB
    Ciel21 likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/1...s-and-families: "The Ontario government is also providing electricity-rate relief to support small businesses, as well as workers and families spending more time at home while the province is in Modified Step Two. For 21 days starting at 12:01 am on Tuesday, January 18, 2022, electricity prices will be set 24 hours a day at the current off-peak rate of 8.2 cents per kilowatt-hour, which is less than half the cost of the current on-peak rate. The off-peak rate will apply automatically to residential, small businesses and farms who pay regulated rates set by the Ontario Energy Board and get a bill from a utility and will benefit customers on both Time-of-Use and Tiered rate plans."

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by My two Canadian cents View Post
    https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/1...s-and-families: "The Ontario government is also providing electricity-rate relief to support small businesses, as well as workers and families spending more time at home while the province is in Modified Step Two. For 21 days starting at 12:01 am on Tuesday, January 18, 2022, electricity prices will be set 24 hours a day at the current off-peak rate of 8.2 cents per kilowatt-hour, which is less than half the cost of the current on-peak rate. The off-peak rate will apply automatically to residential, small businesses and farms who pay regulated rates set by the Ontario Energy Board and get a bill from a utility and will benefit customers on both Time-of-Use and Tiered rate plans."
    Seems my DH's facts were off a bit from yours. he bragged that he heard on the 680 driving into work that hydro rates were going to the lowest rate but he said it was starting today and in effect until January 28th??
    I must check his research now.....ha ha
    This means I can bake, cook and do laundry anytime of the day I darn well please! yippee!
    Tweets77 likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just curious - the line that states ‘delivery cost’ - what is yours per month - and who is your provider?

The last few months, our ‘usage’ cost has been $30 - $50 - but our bill is $90 - 120

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My Orange Key 44990243S1

https://surveys.gobranded.com/users/...f49b113b291653

Starting a new Chapter in the Golden Horseshoe in 2017!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Well for those on TOU rates in Ontario you are now on summer time. Make sure to know what and when. Tiered rates also new.

https://www.oeb.ca/consumer-informat...-rates#current
    barbis9 and Ciel21 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Staying tiered as I am home during the day, live near the lake, so not too much ac.
    GoodBoy and Ciel21 like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by endi2000 View Post
    Just curious - the line that states ‘delivery cost’ - what is yours per month - and who is your provider?

The last few months, our ‘usage’ cost has been $30 - $50 - but our bill is $90 - 120

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    With London Hydro

Total = Usage + Delivery + Regulatory + HST - OER
    Reducing usage doesn't reduce delivery that much because the fixed monthly charge is part of it. My guess yours is NPEI. NPEI fixed monthly charge is ~$36 vs ~$26 for me.

This OEB page allows you to compare prices of different local utilities [LINK] Scroll down, ignore the contract part (assuming you buy from local utility)

Name:  Screenshot (10).png
Views: 174
Size:  4.3 KB
    barbis9, GoodBoy and Ciel21 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Almost $45 delivery charge with Hydro One here in Ancaster on latest bill. I could cry but that does not change the fee!
    barbis9 and Anna Michele like this.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    Staying tiered as I am home during the day, live near the lake, so not too much ac.
    It is because of A/C that I love tiered rather that TOU! Mid day hot summer I run the A/C at a much lower cost than TOU
    Ciel21 likes this.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information