User Tag List

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We recently rescued a 3 leg kitten so naturally we needed food,toys,scratching post etc. So we hopped over to PetSmart where I purchased both the wet and dry Iams Pro-Active kitten food.Bailey(kitten) gobbled both products up but unfortunately it came with a price or should I say explosion. My poor little one was vomiting and had diarrhea, thank god he is a smart cookie and did both in the litter box, that's right I said both.. I know right? Well after some trial and error we have narrowed it down to the Iams Pro-Active DRY kitten food. I do not recommend this product. I have contacted the company and am waiting on a reply.What a waste of money. Thank goodness I managed to save some by using my coupons
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    This thread is currently associated with: PetSmart

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

awwwww what a sweetie Good to hear about this review, I've got a new fur baby at home he's currently on Purina Kitten (pink bag) its what he was eating when I got him. I've been leaning towards the Blue Buffalo or Science Diet stuff.....I know lots of pet owners who have switched to those brands and they swear that on top of the stuff being healthier, there pets also poop a lot less I'm just holding out till my BB coupons come in the mail (you can sign up on there website).

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I'd stay away from Science Diet, the main ingredient is corn (badddd). Learn to know the ingredients of cat food, understand they don't need carbs at all (soo limit dry food anyways).
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I agree with lekate (however, it also depends on what your pet will eat, feeding them corn is better than them starving) but any change in dry food can cause tummy upsets, wet foods can be switched up more easily than dry.

I am experiencing it with my cats where they have been nibbling on my kitten's food now and then and having 'issues' - both are good quality foods, and Quincy ate the same as a kitten without issue.

If you are going to feed dry, and change it, you need to start with 1/4 new food 3/4 old food and change it up a little more each day

Blue Buffalo is better than Science Diet, Iams and Kitten Chow. Cats will poop less if you feed them a low carb food since they are using the nutrients in it and not just pooping out the corn and other fillers
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Both my dogs are on Blue so I will be feeding the kitten that product as well. I kick myself for even trying the Iams, poor kitty.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Your kitten is beautiful! I have three rescues myself and they have all cuddled their way into my heart. Your little tripod is going to make your life fulfilled, thank you for adopting her!

I have a difference of opinion regarding foods.

I had commercially prepared foods. I prefer to feed whole foods, natural diets, anything natural is better then the best unnaturally prepared crappola.

Pet foods were not designed for the pets good health they were designed for people, to make our lives easier, faster to feed pets and a way to make money. I won't go into a big rant about it but what I can offer you is some wise words from a long long term pet owner.

Try to feed whole foods along with commercially prepared foods 'as well' If you don't do all natural foods, atleast do 'some' every day. There is NO difference really in the high cost vs low cost pet foods they are all the same.

Cats get a lot of kidney problems because of dry foods, not enough moisture in the diet and all the processing in the foods.

My cats will eat what we have, if we have chicken they have chicken. I buy them cheaper meats as well like liver and such, and they love canned tuna and sardines. I feed it all to them. Two of them must have been raised on kibble and they like it a lot so I do give them some kibble or some crappy wet friskies as they lilke it . BUT the staple of their diet is 'always' something else.

If you give your kitten an assortment when they are young they will get used to it and they dont eat a lot, it's not expensive at all. A little chicken, tuna, salmon, sardines is so much better for them. OH and to make sure they get enough water, I always add a little warm water to their food once a day.

Don't get me started on pet foods, I will never shut up. I know people are convinced it's the better way but it's not. Fresh is best, period and it's NOT anymore expensive in the long run as compared to commercial diets. Fresh foods build up their immune system, keep them healthier and reduce vet costs. The vets will tell you differently because it's 'business' to them. They will also tell you that you need vaccinations every year which you don't. If your cat is an indoor cat you don't need any vaccine. If your cat is an indoor cat that likes to go outdoor cat you need 'minimal' vaccines that don't need to be done every year. Blood Tests show that the antibodies are present from vaccine exposure for atleast 5 to 7 years, with many being present for over 10 years. I would only consider the FIV vaccine myself and rabies if the cat goes outside. YOU have the right to choose!

Okay, that's my two cents worth.
    :D

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

OH I just wanted to add that I also give them boiled/steamed veg with their food. Nothing different, just what we have ourselves. I mash a little carrot or potato in with the meat, they eat it love it and enjoy it!
    When I make chicken soup, I save broth for them they adore it!

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    I agree with lekate (however, it also depends on what your pet will eat, feeding them corn is better than them starving) but any change in dry food can cause tummy upsets, wet foods can be switched up more easily than dry.
    s
    Generally it's only cats who've really been on these diets for a long period of time. I find it sooo hard to believe that some cats don't like wet (my experience tells me otherwise, mine come running everytime the fridge opens...)....but some who're 'addicted' to kibble (mostly the cheap stuff covered in animal fat) won't eat wet food!
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I have one that just vomits on wet, its not that he doesnt want to eat it, he just can't seem to stomach it, he doesnt like cheap kibble either unlike Q who will rip into bags for the shelter/ferals
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you all for the info. This is our first kitten so I am really new at this. The energy level from this kitten is unreal, nothing like getting a swat in the head and a bite on the nose to let you know its time to get up and feed him lol. @ VirtualSadie, I was just talking to DH about the food in fact it was about the price of wet food vs the price of tuna, there really isnt much difference especially if you can find it on sale. The vet did push for vaccination but since we were not sure if kitty had his first shots we decided against it even though the vet told us that it would be better to receive them twice then not at all... did not sit well with me.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Nope doesn't sit well with me either, it's toxic to your cat (or dog) it's called vaccinosis. I have little respect for vaccine pushing vets, it's all business and money hungry. I haven't vaccinated my pets for YEARS they all seem to be healthy happy and live LONG full lives.

I have a dog 8 yrs old nearly dead when I got her as a rescue pup. Took her off all prepared foods, home cooked for her, no vaccines or any crap the vet wanted to do. I healed her naturally when the vet thought she was going to die. She hasn't been vaccined since,, all of this happened to her right after the rescue got her vaccinated.

I have three cats and won't be giving them any vaccines either, they were abandonded little ones that just showed up in my neighbourhood with nowhere to go. All of them sick, injured in some way or another.

I can't afford much but I look at it this way, they can have what 'I' have to eat and them some other canned goods, whatever is on sale I buy a lot of. I don't give tuna every day, I mix it up tuna, sardines, some chicken or boiled liver. I make sure they get something like that 'every day' along with some of the regular cat food. I'm telling you they get 'anything' we eat pretty much. Including sausages, bacon, turkey, chicken, salmon, halibut, shrimp, rice, veg, all of it. In fact they had curry chicken two nights ago with rice. HA HA HA (so did the doggie)

If you want some ideas let me know. Two of my cats really love liver and it's cheap goes a LONG way and I add some veg to it. When I cook chicken I also give them raw chicken, they've never gotten ill and they absolutely LOVE it.

My dog is still home cooked for as well. Funny on one hand the vet will say to me 'your dog is the healthiest I've ever seen, great teeth, gums, coat,skin, eyes' then ask me to give her vaccines and chastize me for not doing it. But uh didn't you just tell me how 'healthy'she is!

One of my meower boys just had to have a nail removed from his toe pad, strange little bugger doesn't know how to 'release' his claws and one got stuck in the pad, I couldn't get it out so let the vet do it (should have let my groomer help me) I think they completely overcharged me for what they did, they didn't even have to sedate him. Then of course the vet wanted me to get his teeth cleaned, get vaccines, deworm him blah blah blah. I bought some toothpaste and will start to brush his teeth. I love these guys but I'm not rich and not gonna get screwed by a vet. These cats are well cared for. I was also made to feel like a bad pet owner for his claw problem because I hadn't 'cut his nails' ... Well uhm dumb as he's an outdoor/indoor cat they need them sharp to defend themselves outside and to climb to get away from predators. Oh well, I could babble on forever. Here is a picture of the three little monsters:

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I do believe in giving them vaccines as a kitten but not every year after that (do check to see if rabies vaccines are enforced where you live - I know of cats that were quarantined in public health for scratching someone because they didnt have rabies shots)

My vet does a 3 shot kitten program (first two a month apart then the third is rabies) followed by a 3 year vaccination schedules to 9 y/o then none after that
    ~ ~ ~

Thread Information