User Tag List

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree272Likes

Thread: Getting rid of cable...?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've not had cable for over a decade now, and made a series of changes last year (switching isp, landline->voip, etc) optimizing my costs. Where i'm physically located, OTA isn't really an option (only a single channel available). My personal experience:

The first thing to be concerned about is your email address. Is it with your isp, or a third party (gmail, etc). My email was with my isp, and it took me a few weeks to reroute all email to a gmail account so I could consider switching providers.

I was with a high-price isp, and switched providers to acanac. They have increased their prices over the past year, however, my annual renewal coming up in March is $772.24 after tax for an unlimited 35mb/3mb cable connection. I've had it almost a year now, and no issues with it.

Acanac includes a free (for 1yr) voip phoneline with 1yr internet connections. I purchased an ObiHai ATA, and have been using voip. Setting up the obihai required some research, and took a couple hours to properly configure, however, the end result on it was a phoneline at no cost (that is also setup not to ring/immediately hangup on telemarketers).

After 1yr, Acanac charges $11/month for the voip line. I switched it to freephoneline.ca at a one time cost of $75+tax, and now have a Canadian telephone number with free long distance throughout Canada, call display/voice mail/etc, with no further direct costs.

Back to the original topic: I have used Netflix+unblockus. The cost of that combination is minimal, however, I chose to discontinue them and use (an even cheaper) xbmc.

XBMC (now named Kodi) is a media player for pretty much any hardware platform. There are addons available for it that provide livetv access to an excessive number of channels. If not familiar with the program, expect 10+hrs learning to configure it. In general, a free (basic) ustvnow account offers live american network channels (cbs, nbc, abc, fox, pbs, cw). Through filmon/ftv (again free: you can pay for it if you want to, but it's not necessary) all the freeview uk channels (bbc 1-4, itv, channel4/5, foodnetwork, etc). Movies/tv shows are also easily available through addons like "1channel".

In total: My internet cost of $772/yr ($64.35/month) represents the entire cost for me for a phone line with unlimited long distance, television service, and unlimited internet.
    Last edited by cleacy1972; Mon, Jan 26th, 2015 at 11:01 AM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The main thing that holds me back from cutting my cable is that I'm a HUGE sports fan. It's hard to find good quality HD streams to watch live online.

I watch all four of the major sports (basketball, hockey, football and baseball) as well as others here and there (ex. tennis). I know there are paid premium options to allow you to watch the games and stream them online but because I watch so many of them, it'll just add up anyways and the cable option allows me to browse programming when nothing else is on I guess.

I can easily get all of the usual TV shows that I watch online anyways and I almost never watch them live as I can't stand that commercials take up a third of the timeslot (I also use PVR). Along with Netflix, I'm well covered on the TV/Movie side of things. It's just the damn sports...
    walkonby, dededi and Free Tv Box like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Worth noting about over-the-air TV station signals:
    There’s good news for one million Canadians: With a modest investment in an antenna and some coaxial cable you’re still able to pull down free over-the-air TV signals.

The broadcast regulator said last Thursday broadcasters have to keep their over-the-air transmitters running or lose certain privileges.

A carrot and a stick kind of thing. The broadcasters can still shut them down, but they’ll lose the right to have their content carried as part of basic cable and satellite packages, among other things.

And as Industry Canada opens up and reallocates bandwidth at the high end, the next friction point may not be far away. Mobile phones and the internet require more and more space, so a reshuffling of the deck could see some of TV channels moved.
    http://www.thestar.com/business/pers...ed-mayers.html
    dededi likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Another article on over-the-air tv signals by the Personal Finance columnist for the Toronto Star:
    http://www.thestar.com/business/pers...ng-mayers.html
    He carries a full range of antennas, but recommends three, all American, two of which, Channel Master and Winegard, have been in the antenna business since the 1950s. (The third is Antennas Direct.) Sunderani says they all use high-quality materials and back the products with a guarantee.

He says good antennas are pretty inexpensive, so it’s worth paying a little more now for less hassle later. He says Oakville (and other communities by the lake) are signal sweet spots. I should get 29 stations, not the current 21, and they shouldn’t come and go. He issued “a clone challenge,” which I’ll take up in the spring: I’ll try one of his cheaper name brands and see if it is actually better.
    How many channels will I get ? It depends. Location does matter. High ground with a clear line of sight to the CN Tower and Grand Island, N.Y., is best. The signal degrades after about 150 kilometres, so cottage country coverage is spotty

My lineup includes CBC, CTV, CHCH, TVOntario, Global and City. The U.S. networks are Fox, NBC, ABC and two PBS stations. There are also several U.S. specialty stations including GRITtv, a U.S. network with action movies and classic TV series.

If you love sports or are a news junkie, this may not be for you. You will not get TSN or Sportsnet. You will not get CNN, CBC News Network or any of the other channels carried on cable or satellite. You may, however, be able to get them another way.
    Last edited by Ciel; Fri, Feb 6th, 2015 at 08:03 PM.
    barbis9 and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I have an indoor antenna and am getting 17 channels....the thought of 29 sounds great. I think in the spring I will put an outdoor antenna up....but it needs to be very high - at least above my house. My reception is mostly crystal clear except on very windy days which really doesn't bother me.
    Ciel and dededi like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

pretty sure all the shows you mentioned are on Netflix!
    Ciel and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I went nearly 5 years without cable. I just used Netflix when I wanted to watch something. When I stay back in the states everyone has it so it is strange for me like they have all these schedules and shows they watch. After your first year without it you don't miss it.
    Ciel, dededi and Davetherave like this.
    Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Cable is very costly in canada...you can go for free to air channels with HD anntenna available for $20 - $50. Other options are buying android box, have XBMC installed. You can also have youtube, netflix and any other android apps which have video content. This works for me.
    dededi and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    344 (100%)

I have cancelled my land line with Rogers and purchased an Ooma that runs off the wifi....cut the cost down to $3.98/month from $52.00/month. I like to have a land line as I phone overseas often. I am very happy with the service.

I just can't seem to get rid of the cable yet but I am thinking about it. I phoned Rogers this month to discuss my bill and options and they offered to cut my internet 25% and my cable 30% plus took $10/month off my cell phone bill. That works out to about a $1350.00 per year...just had to ask.

I have had the Ooma now for 6 months and I am still very happy with it. I have made numerous calls overseas at very little cost and the connection is great. I didn't opt for the premium package which has more features but chose the basic package with voicemail feature. Best thing is that my Rogers bill has dropped considerably.
    Last edited by taffy; Sun, Oct 25th, 2015 at 10:10 AM.
    anisa, Ciel, dededi and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Britanica View Post
    I went nearly 5 years without cable. I just used Netflix when I wanted to watch something. When I stay back in the states everyone has it so it is strange for me like they have all these schedules and shows they watch. After your first year without it you don't miss it.
    Think of all the books you read, activities you could add to your free time, random meetings with new people and more time to enjoy pursuits or studies of things that interest you. It's become hard to visit people if I know one of their favourite shows is coming up on TV and if I'm not a fan, a quick goodbye is in order.
    anisa, dededi and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I realized that the French CBC Toronto station was not in the channel lineup and added it to the remote on the weekend. I happened to see an episode of 1001 Vies, which was about Montreal's mayor Jean Drapeau. I'm certain I've seen the Expo monorail clip before.

Realized the HD unit does not record shows, so I will have to verify that rebroadcasts of RDI's La Facture and L'Epicerie do occur on Sundays between 10am and 11 am on this channel.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We also have XBMC

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Cable is not something that I would get. An internet connection def! Cable not so much. Netflix and HBO GO (someday) are more than enough for me. If you watch news you may want to keep it. I would rather read online or hit up CTV homepage. Also CTV has an online video section where you can watch many shows and you will still have ads so no need to feel guilty. I find cable really expensive and the only reason I would get it is for HBO. If you watch on a TV you can actually set up netflix to your TV. There are so many options today and the big 3 need to figure out a way to catch up with the consumer. This is what years of screwing the little guy does.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Awsome

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

This morning I was thinking about how I don't follow any shows anymore... and I don't miss it a bit!

the thought of following a schedule to catch the latest episode of a show doesn't entice me anymore. You totally get used to being freed from a TV schedule. I don't even netflix or watch online. nothing, nada, zilch, I feel liberated lol.
    Ciel, GoJays, Cader and 2 others like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information