User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ciel
  • 1 Post By Ciel
  • 1 Post By TaraF

Thread: A little Hamiltonian help needed

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

I'm looking for a little advice for those living in or simply familiar with Hamilton, On. Though I frequent it for my Dr's I don't actually spend time there to know where the good vs bad spots are and need to book a hotel for a few nights for my husband while I'm in for my surgery in January. The 2 places I have found closest for him to commute to McMaster via cab are Staybridge Suites on Caroline St and the Crowne Plaza on King E. Both are (according to mapquest) approximately 5km's from the hospital but I was wondering which was in a better/safer location since my husband isn't familiar with the area. I also may be going up the day before my surgery and staying the night to make things easier as well. Thanks in advance for the help.
    This thread is currently associated with: Via Rail
    Last edited by TaraF; Sun, Dec 6th, 2015 at 12:18 AM.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Both hotels are in the downtown core. Don't forget the Sheraton Hamilton-it's right on King St. West and there's a bus stop nearby outside of the McDonald's in Jackson Square.

Not sure what the current cab fares are like for a downtown Hamilton to McMaster Hospital run. A cash fare of $2.75 per person will be $3 in January. You could consider buying a strip of 5 tickets to save on fares. Bus fare transfers allow for 2h and one can hop on and off until the 2h expires. There is also a single day bus pass that you both can use when travelling together if you plan on other stops in the same day.>Fall Bus News 2015-$12.90.
    Day Pass
    Unlimited travel on all regularly scheduled routes for a maximum of two adults and four youth/ children for that day for $12.90
    http://www.hamilton.ca/hsr-bus-sched...ets-and-passes

There is 5C-West Hamilton (7 days per week) and 51-University (6 days per week) bus service that goes into the McMaster campus with a stop at University & Forsythe, just before the buses go to the traffic light at Main St. West. Since the buses can no longer use the loop right in front of the hospital (because exhaust fumes had seeped into the concrete and into departments down below before repairs), he'd have to walk across and up the sidewalk to get into the hospital.
    The 1-King bus provides weekday service until about 6pm and services the same stop.

The return to Hamilton stop is at the end of the sidewalk (when coming out of the hospital) and make a right about 4m over.

I know that Ronald McDonald House nearby (Main West & Cootes) is for families who have kids in Mac but don't know if they'd allow DH to use that as a base (he'd be able to walk to the hospital within 10min). No, it seems limited to family with children getting treated at the Children's Hospital at Mac. https://www.rmhchamilton.ca/staying-with-us

The Hamilton General Hospital is affliated with Mark Preece House (but it's further east and would take DH two buses) for family members needing a place to stay but I have yet to hear of McMaster Hospital paired with a similar house in Westdale/Ainslie Wood.
    TaraF likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@TaraF -Forgot to mention the Visitors Inn, which is closest to McMaster University Medical Centre so you would not be in the downtown core (but close enough to explore nearby Westdale, just east of the university campus!). The Inn is opposite the McMaster Walk-In Urgent Care Clinic too. Thing is, Main St. W. is one-way traffic at that part of the road and if DH is walking to hospital, the initial 50m or so is uphill then levels out.

Weil's Bakery in Westdale is a great place to get a baked savory or sweet goodie! The library is near (Internet access-have to ask about any Express 30min stations which don't need a card) and so is Shoppers Drug Mart with a Post Office.
    TaraF likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Thank you @Ciel for all of the above information, I appreciate it!
    Ciel likes this.

Thread Information