User Tag List

Page 19 of 58 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast
Like Tree6265Likes

Thread: Dashing December Savings (frugal chatter 2014)

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Good morning, everyone.

Concert was fun last night, if all too short (he only played for a 1/2 hr). It was funny to hear muffled applause from people clapping with gloved hands.

It was bitterly cold, poor CityTV reporter gal was shaking. She really should have had some of the special hot chocolate for sale (that little taste of Drambuie would have done her a world of good ). I was smart enough to wear several layers of clothes, I'm sure I looked like a round snowman.

I did take pictures, but somehow the latest updates this silly little laptop did made it cranky about talking to the camera. I'll have to figure out why they no longer communicate and get them some counselling. Or an app. Or something.

Lots of things to do around here, keep working on the unfinished projects. I found a whack of peanut butter behind the crockpot at the back of the kitchen island - I had bought a case full back before my world went wonky last year and forgot all about it (of course, since then I've bought more). I have enough pb to last me til the next century...well, until next year, given how much Lily dog LOVES her treats.

Off to do some more work. Or nap. Or play with the critters. They'll be happy to tell me what to do.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    Has anyone heard from Diamond Lil? She hasn't been here since Nov. 19th it seems. Anyone know why?
    No Avon I haven't, was it her that had a friend in an accident and she was helping out with the kids?

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    andit are you referring to my cookies or my wreaths.
    Well, I was hoping for pictures of your wreaths and trees. The brats would love to see the cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    @Andit -so glad you are enjoying your visits to the Christmas market! Hope feet are not too upset about all the cobblestones underfoot. One does feel that after a period of standing/walking (modern pavement seems easier!). Appreciated the Advent calendar link as I will go to the other six days to see what the topics are.
    Feet are always upset (long story shorter, start dialysis, calcium level goes poof, 9/10 metatarcels snap, casts on both legs for 2 yrs, relearn to walk, some muscles never quite returned to normal). Doesn't mean the rest of me has to listen to their griping.

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Well I found my ambition but also had a bit of a mini break down. (snip)
    (hugs) You've been under a lot of stress, breakdowns are often needed. Is there anyone you can ask for support? Someone your Mom will listen to who can have a chat with her about doing more around the house? Maybe you can hire an organizer to come in and help get her on track? It might be worth the $ to get an outsider to giver her a push in the right direction.

This might give you a smile. I had a friend over a while ago. After dinner, while we were having coffee (well, Coffee Crisp for me, I'm not into liquid java ), Lily dog decided she had to go out. I told my friend to just relax and we'd be right back. When I got back, my friend had to go, but said "Oh, I've organized the dishes for you." We said good-bye and sure enough the dishes were neatly arranged in the drying rack. Wow, how sweet, the dishes are done. Or so I thought. I put them away later, something seemed off, but it was dark and I wasn't really paying attention. The next day, I went to get a dish out and it was sticky. Sheesh, my friend is lousy at doing dishes, I thought. Then I looked, nope, dishes hadn't been done, they'd been put nicely in the rack to get ready to be washed. And I had absent-mindedly put them away. Couldn't remember which ones were used, which weren't, which had touched what, so lots of dishes for me to wash that day. And the poor critters never even got to pre-rinse them.

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    What a great link! Thanks for that.
    Our London Drugs always has a great selection of European foods - and all the Christmas goodies from everywhere. I always get some lebkuchen from Germany - which I gather is the same or similar to the word you used. Never had it freshly made, though!
    The only German treat I have is Stollen. Not big into the spice cookies. We (as in my Mom) make makos kalacs and dios kalacs, poppy seed rolls and walnut rolls. It always irritated me as a kid that we could only ever have them at Xmas. Treats should be all yr round!

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    Also, I've been under the weather since Thursday and haven't been able to get even the basics done!
    Hope you feel better soon.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Avon feel better soon!!Rotten time of year to be under the weather!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Ahh Monday. 2 Weeks left of work then off till Jan 5th which will be nice. So I decided last night I am not going to beat myself up on the house organizing and just get what I can get done now (I need to finish and wrap Christmas!) and then when I'm off those 2 weeks I can really get stuff done at home. It will be a much needed break from work for sure and hopefully get some more junk out of the house and find a place for everything!

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I`m finally back to crocheting. On Wed I wrenched my arm when I opened the door to go into a store. Heard the crunch and felt the pain shoot up my arm. Ended up on morphine for the next 2 days. I really need to get those towels done. Anyone have a giant piece of bubble wrap?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I hope to learn to crochet when I retire! The neat things you can make

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    So dh ended up getting a Cusinart ice cream maker for Logan which was a 1/3 of the price of the kitchenaid gadget 1 so that's doable.
    I was going to recommend that one. I don't have one myself, but a friend does and it makes lovely sorbets.

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    Anyone have any energy they can spare?
    LO spread her cold germs around here from daycare so we're completely out of energy for the past few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    As for impulse buying, this time of year is a time of weakness for me. Especially Boxing Day, when the Xmas items are on clearance. I've already bought things I really don't *need*, but I know I will need the little battery-operated lights for my mini trees in the future when I just know I won't be able to find them. At least not for a decent price.
    Christmas used to be a big time for my impulse buys as well. LO has ways of making me stay in the house, however. Now all my impulse buys are online. On the bright side, returns are easier. I can walk out to the post office instead of driving to a store.

My hands and legs just can't keep up - so I broke down crying a few times, just frustrated. So much to do, and we have delayed doing stuff.
    We downsized SO much to come here, and yet there is no room for things. I have been wearing the same clothes over and over, because the rest was packed and stored. Same with kitchen things - I've been missing some of my favourite items - and have NO special things, they were all stored.
    Let alone any personal items - everything like all my jewellery has all been stored. Husband found one little box - but it's brooches and old stuff. I'm scared my ear piercings have grown in, I haven't worn earrings in a year.

And there is nothing decorative in the house. That has been making me crazy. Nothing on the walls, nothing on a shelf, just nothing pretty or nice. Everything is bare, practical, functional - and not at its best either.
    Moving, packing, and unpacking is very stressful - emotionally and physically. Take your time and don't feel you have to be working every hour. Eating breaks, nap breaks, and tea breaks are all okay throughout the day. I know you want to be finished as soon as possible, but know that it's too much to accomplish quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    -oh and daughter-in law asked us to drop "ashlyn" off at her mother's at 4.00 p.m no problem
    then her mother says to me "I am so jealous of the time you get to spend with "ashyn" to which i replied "you get holidays just before xmas and get to watch her right-yep for 3 days she said that will give you a break she said to me
    -who says that I felt put on the spot(I not my fault I am not working and enjoying my granddaughter -her mom is hard to talk to -kinda like my mother-in-law (socially akward)

-of course when I told my daughter on the phone she said mom you would be jelous too-maybe but i would complain to my hubby-do you ladies think I am over analyzing the conversation????
    Maybe it was one of those things she said without thinking. As a socially awkward person myself, I regularly say things I shouldn't. At face value, she said that she was jealous of the time you get to spend with Ashlyn. As wonderful and fun as Ashlyn is, can you blame her? I am jealous that your son has you to look after her and my LO has to go to daycare to spend with strangers. Not that I'm asking you to move here and look after her, I just wish my mom was able to spend time with her. Only because LO is wonderful and so is my mom.

It's not your fault that you have the right circumstances to look after Ashlyn though, and you're right. Ultimately, it is your DS and DIL that have the final say on who looks after her. I don't think she really meant it personally. There's a lot of fatigue and stress going around lately.

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    So I than stood there getting more and more frustrated, Please ladies do not judge me for this but as it is Mom made a smash cake 2 to 3 weeks ago and still the pan has not been washed, I refuse to wash it. She wants to have a baking business I do not feel I should be left to clean up after she does an order so all of the dishes from the smash cake and the first bday party are all still sitting there for her.
    Oh my goodness, SassyAshley. I would have caved after two days and washed the pan. 2 - 3 weeks ago?!? I would be so paranoid about insects. You really do have a lot of patience. I've known pack rats in my time and I seriously have to fight the urge sometimes too. I'm sorry your home causes stress and hope you realize you're one person and can only do so much. The only person's expectations you have to meet are your own.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Mmm My honey makes amazing chicken stir-fry. I think this is one of my fav's for a leftover lunch on a Monday. I have started the week off right. I made oatmeal last night for my breakfast today and tomorrow. Fried extra eggs this morning for they kids breakfast in the morning. Brought lunch and leftovers. Made my coffee at home this morning. And we know what we are making for dinner (steak on bbq!) Now to plan the rest of the week!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Crochetlady don't over do it, hope you heal fast!!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Forgot to post this link last night for anyone wanting to think awhile on the questions:
    http://www.thedailygrace.ca/what-if/
    @SassyAshley -glad you had that cry as it was coming. You mention Dad and Mom both expecting your time for their needs. You have your own needs,as other SCers have posted. Totally understand your texts to Mom about skipping Christmas because that time could be pressure-reliever for you. Think you are on the verge of telling Dad "gee, more work. I'm about ready to snap over my non-existent work-life balance, constant stress during waking hours. Talk to me if there's a pay hike and perks I can use to have more life." and telling Mom "I don't want to have to fight you about cleaning and am ready to look for an apartment of my own and put my share of the house up for sale. There might be a dumpster arriving this weekend on the driveway so the house can be staged. I've talked to a realtor already..." Then just wait for their reactions.

Seriously, why do you have to put more hours into work? What's in it for YOU (ownership share/say in what bottom line decisions are made/money & benefits/deciding which staff get expanded roles and wages)? Does not seem that your job has any perks beyond family pressures. Since this a family business, I sense there was pressure/expectation for you and your siblings to work at the company-not sure how much encouragement/support was given to allow development of own career aspirations (or paid training of your own interest in courses) or even to work at other companies before joining the family business. If you were able to find another job that gave you more balance in your life, you'd be saying "it's been a slice but my life is calling!"
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Dear Sweet Savers,
    I nominate Natalka's suggestion for January's thread name: January's Sweet Savers

Our only impulse purchase this weekend was a new car. I think we're still in denial about our old car. I just can't believe it's been written off for a dent that looks like a fast shopping cart hit it.

We purchased the first car we saw in a private sale. It was from a co-worker's friend who was selling it. We didn't haggle as we thought the price was fair. It was either that option or the dealership and we know a comparable model would be priced a lot higher for the same product there. We did go to the dealership afterwards and decided the newer upgrades on newer models wasn't worth the price difference. The new one won't be as good on gas (bit bigger), but the price was hard to pass up.

No impulse purchases while food shopping this week and the total came to $29.xx. Spending thousands of dollars on a new car does that to you.

QOTD: Do you have a comfort threshold on your stockpile where if you go below a certain limit you get nervous?

If it's just us, I'm not concerned. If we're low and my family needs a bunch of items, I get a bit more watchful for the next sale.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

when I get a chance i'll post pictures later of my creations.
    was helping hubby decorate his tree teepees outside.
    working on getting more organized today.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

sweet sparrow -thanks for the input about babysitting -I am only doing it til middle of jan -then she goes into daycare 2 times a week -gee if I was closer it would be lovely to watch your little one-lol-but this 55 year old body finds it hard to take -could never do it full time i dont think (at my age)-arthritis)
    -if my stockpile gets too low do i panic nope cause it never gets too low-wa down to a few fabricsoftners-now the past 3 weeks shoppers has emailed me any size downey for 4.99 -plus i had .50 cent coupon-so I am slowly stocking up for next summer
    justbought another tetley72's tea for 3.99-so i am always one ahead on that -tea drinker here

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Ashley hope you are doing okay, hun!!!
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Page 19 of 58 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread Information