• 1 Post By matty's mom
  • 1 Post By Hondamanic

Thread: Shasha Bread Co sneak peek shows staff baking with sprouted grains

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Name:  ShaSha-Organic2a.jpg
Views: 1812
Size:  40.7 KB
    There are a variety of whole grain breads, chips and delicious confectioneries like buckwheat balls, plus two dozen ingredients for bakers offered for sale at reasonable prices in the Shasha Bread Company Organic Food Store in Etobicoke Ontario. This is one company that is trying to make a difference, by offering a more wholesome alternative to our daily bread.
    Name:  ezekiel-and-chia-seed.jpg
Views: 5364
Size:  349.7 KB
    When I learned that Shasha Bread Company's Organic Ezekiel Chia and Sunflower Seed Bread was made with sprouted grains, I pictured sliced bread where you could see the actual sprouts in the bread. But it isn't like that. The sprouts are dried and made into flour which is very high in vitamin C, and essential minerals. It is nutritious. Unlike conventional wheat flour it doesn't need to be enriched because the powdered seeds still have most of their original composition.
    Name:  10809853_901629249856539_1546208394_n.jpg
Views: 1447
Size:  39.4 KB
    Recently I was privileged enough to go behind the scenes at the bakery on a tour directed by Shasha Shaun Navazesh himself. I wrote a detailed account Shasha baking bread with sprouted grains on Toronto is Awesome magazine which was published yesterday. The article, like my guided tour last week, starts in the sprouting room.
    Name:  15748027767_ca8dae1b94_z.jpg
Views: 1211
Size:  43.2 KB

Name:  sprouting-lentils.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  28.2 KB
    Here workers wheel trays of moist sprouted lentils out of the germination chamber and into the drying room. The sprouted seeds will be dried slowly in the open air of this tall drafty room. There are large fans blowing warm air over the racks of sprouts to dry them slowly and preserve the vitamins and minerals that have been activated inside the seeds.
    Name:  shssha-wheat-germ1.jpg
Views: 1518
Size:  25.9 KB
    Shasha Shaun Navazesh bakes sourdough bread with sprouted grains; he has been working with 'sprouted flour' as artisan baker for almost twenty years. I have also been aware that our daily bread suffers from profit taking and is overly processed and preserved. I remember my Dad telling me that researcher scientists in the 50s made news by working with lab rats to analyze the effects that eating white bread made with only bleached white flour (Wonder bread) can have on a metabolism of a living creature - many rats died. So I was curious to see how the sprouts become a wholesome flour for baking.
    Name:  sprouted-grains-grinder1.jpg
Views: 2513
Size:  30.5 KB
    Shasha has a gristmill on site where a worker grinds ancient grains into a course flour. There is a longer description of the flour mill and sprouted grains flour produced at Shasha bakery that shows what's available for sale to bakers in the Organic Food Store on site.
    Name:  batch-of-bread-dough2a.jpg
Views: 1539
Size:  55.9 KBName:  bread dough loaves2a.jpg
Views: 2167
Size:  80.3 KBName:  bread-loaves2rise2a.jpg
Views: 1722
Size:  95.0 KB
    Ezekiel bread has over a dozen different ingredients including organic whole wheat and whole spelt flour, and flour made from sprouted grains. Over 95% of the ingredients are certified organic.

Shasha Bread Company proves the best way to effectively break down gluten is by employing the sourdough method of baking. Sourdough baking utilizes an extended fermentation period. This method also allows for the phytic acid in grains to be 90% neutralized so that our digestive systems can effectively process the minerals in grains. Sourdough encourages Lactobacillus culture in symbiotic combination with yeasts. It is one of the principal means of biological leavening in bread baking.
    Name:  putting-bread-dough-in-hopper2a.jpg
Views: 1492
Size:  36.8 KB
    History of Sourdough Baking - In the Encyclopedia of Food Microbiology M.G. Gaenzle writes "The origins of bread-making are so ancient that everything said about them must be pure speculation. One of the oldest sourdough breads dates from 3700 BC and was excavated in Switzerland, but the origin of sourdough fermentation likely relates to the origin of agriculture in the Fertile Crescent several thousand years earlier... Bread production relied on the use of sourdough as a leavening agent for most of human history; the use of baker's yeast as a leavening agent dates back less than 150 years." Most commercial breads are heavily processed for maximum profit; the finished product is baked, sliced and bagged and ready for retail in just under an hour. This rushed baking doesn’t give the flour time to activate its constituents nor does the bacteria in the yeast have enough time to sufficiently break down gluten.

Here's my favourite shot of Raj the Bread Maker wheeling out loaves of properly leavened bread made with natural sourdough starter.
    Name:  raj-breadmaker.jpg
Views: 1768
Size:  37.8 KB
    This nutritious and delicious bread is sold fresh on site and in upscale supermarkets and health food stores across the city. So are these BioBud products below,
    Name:  BIO-Bud%u00252Bsprouted%2Bgrains.jpg
Views: 1672
Size:  51.1 KB
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    walkonby, torontogal12 and AddyB like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

great article!! Thanks for posting

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for reading and commenting. Walkonby I know from previous posts that you appreciate foods low in gluten, have you ever tried Shasha's breads?

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

no I have not tried that brand yet. Do they have their goods in main stream grocery stores or are they only sold in the Etobicoke area?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I believe its available in Loblaws
    Hondamanic and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

OP, you are an SC from way back -->2008
    hope you post more
    walkonby likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

What is their price point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arob View Post
    I believe its available in Loblaws
    that might be the reason I have never seen this brand then, Loblaws is rarely my place to shop because it is out of the way for me, they do not PM and most of their items are overpriced I find.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Great post. I love Sha Sha cookies. Those Lemon ones OMG they are dangerous. You can eat a whole bag in one sitting. They're incredibly good
    matty's mom and Hondamanic like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    Great post. I love Sha Sha cookies. Those Lemon ones OMG they are dangerous. You can eat a whole bag in one sitting. They're incredibly good
    I find that the ginger snaps are just as addictive. I buy them in RCSS as well as the bread.
    torontogal12 likes this.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My best friend use to deliver their products to stores. They are really good but although they are fresh I found them to be hard bread. Guess me and the kiddies are use to the softer stuff lol. They also sell cookies too. Highly recommend it.
    Durham Couponer likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Wish this bakery was on my doorstep. Unfortunately they are now few & far between even here in Wales, UK. The next time my husband and I visit Canada we will make sure to find Shasha Bread Co., I can just smell it! You brought it to life for me, thank you.

Thread Information