User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree146Likes

Thread: Why do some people think that just because im poor I should not have nice things?

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Selling my things would have a very low resale value anyway. It's not worth it. Since buying higher value items I no longer care about labels or brands. Grew out of it I suppose, but as I still have them and it's not worth reselling I use them and enjoy it.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Putting down the food food bank then calling people who go to the library bums is not helping your case. It sound like you suffer from something called entitlement. The cure is to go volunteer at the shelter, donate to the food bank, have a garage sale and give the money to charity, and such. You should also help out at a soup kitchen; maybe if you see what down and out really looks like, you will understand and become cured.

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BC Gal View Post
    Putting down the food food bank then calling people who go to the library bums is not helping your case. It sound like you suffer from something called entitlement. The cure is to go volunteer at the shelter, donate to the food bank, have a garage sale and give the money to charity, and such. You should also help out at a soup kitchen; maybe if you see what down and out really looks like, you will understand and become cured.
    I don't believe the OP called people who go to the library bums? I believe what was said was "reading library books and looking like a bum." I don't believe they are saying that reading library books makes people look like a bum. I think these are two separate ideas that happen to be together in the same sentence.
    lecale and Lyssia510 like this.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I don't think you understand the concept of poor. I grew up in the 1980's with no running water, only a wood stove for heat, my brother slept in the same room as my parents, our family only had 1 vehicle and 1 tractor even though we lived on a farm, and we had plastic over the windows all year round. I don't recall being called poor or feeling poor because I had a roof over my head, food on the table, and a family who loved each other. We didn't have cell phones, computers, vehicles galore, nice clothes, etc. I think consumerism has made many people poor because people think they are entitled to nice things. Food for thought.
    SMILE - and make the world a better place

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 17th, 2015 at 11:59 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Name:  10175069_882479828490391_4602676843879528390_n.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  66.9 KB

Saw this on my facebook feed this morning. It seems appropriate to share here on this thread.
    Last edited by CrazyQT; Sun, Dec 7th, 2014 at 05:36 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Could this all be a misunderstanding of wording? Im thinking the op had these things before her current situation? these things don't sell for a lot used so may not be worth selling. The op may have grammar/spelling issues? (not trying to insult)
    matrix82 likes this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

It is indeed meant to be 2 issues... library books and the bum thing.. all I meant is that in leu of having things like the net and tv using only the library as entertainment. as per the bum thing is getting rid of my nicer items for next to nothing as the resale is low and wearing run down clothing... I already do need clothing and again the smart phone was free and I pay 20 a month for a 100 talk minutes and 1000 texting ones... the coach bag was bought with bday money and has little resale value. I need a phone for many reasons and again the bag is not worth selling.
    Lyssia510 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@idonovan .....the last thing I would do is read someone's post and then judge them on what they own. Clearly you are going through a rough period. Whether people think you are "poor" or not, is not for us to judge or make that decision. We all have different degrees of what poor is. I went through a rough patch in my early 20's. At the point in my life, I thought we were poor. My family didn't have much at all. But it was certainly tough when all I would see was my friends buying all the latest clothes, make-up, jewellery from high ends stores and I would go to Bargain Harold's. I was bitter but not jealous (does that make sense?) However the love in my family was way more "valuable" to me than the relationships they had with their families (they were very distant and cold with their parents).Quite frankly I don't think you have to explain yourself to anyone. You came on here to express yourself. Many people have done that before you and will continue to do so after you. I think you were looking for a little support/advice. The only advice I can give you is try your hardest to keep couponing and price matching. I just wish you all the best and hope you get through this rough period real soon.
    GoJays, coupon girl, emg and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

One thing I have to said about that.I am way more happy since I dont care what others think and dont let the comments control my life.I hope you will too someday
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information