User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: It's not like SHE'll use math once she leaves school

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Having something "click" in math is key. I remember having that issue with some grade 8 geometry and I did get a really good score on a test once I understood it. Thing is, until I can tell you how I've understood it compared to the "click" that makes sense, I just feel frustrated with not comprehending>wish to avoid that feeling. Sometimes walking away works, sometimes just keeping up with homework regularly helped or getting a different book that explains a concept in better terms all can work. Or another day, the click just makes sense FINALLY.
    lecale likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Bakeries use math. Does the baker's dozen (13) still applies nowadays? And some customer want one or two of one baked good, half dozen of another and maybe a loaf to go. Chances are there is only one cash in the store (independant shop) and if more than one person is helping, the box top will be where the prices/tallies for the order will be printed by hand (unless technology/touchscreens can catch up then print a label).

What if OP's daughter needs a plank from Home Depot, buys one then gets the free cut on plank by employee (if the saw is not out of commission) then has to determine how many pieces she can get from both halves for her project?

If OP's daughter determines she's going to be an auto mechanic, she'll have to understand the differences in the tool measurements (metric, standard, and SAE). Car manufacturers are not all alike in sizing their bolts and other hardware. Imperial system aka standard will be fun if fractions appeal.
    beckie.c likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Interesting. It is amazing just how dependent kids are these days with computers and calculators. Get a cashier in a store during a power failure and watch them try to calculate how much your bill is with tax. Most times they will round up and be done with it. They cannot wrap their heads around the math.

Now mind you, I hated math. I was okay in it but hated it still. I did read an article not that along ago that said that kids are not learning math the way they used to anymore, again because of technology. Sign of the times I reckon. Take the Ipods, Ipads, computers, mp3 players and calculators away and kids are gonna rebel like it is WW III!!!!

Hopefully you will find the help you and DD need, if you haven't already!
    Insurance Graduate Class of 2014
    I need coupons big time!

What do you do with a elephant that has three balls? Walk him and pitch to the Rhino!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Do senior math teachers bring in slide rules for fun during class to show what "calculators" existed before electronics came along? Along with a short lesson on how to use the rules?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slide_rule

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

It makes me sad to see so many people struggle with math. I had an amazing high school math teacher (from Grade 7 to 12 and she was female!) and if I hadn't chosen to go into business I'd love to be a high school math teacher. I think there is math in a lot of simple day to day things especially involving money and in a lot of common professions... nursing, engineering, accounting/finance/business, architect, pharmaceuticals, any science/research related field, all of the trades, etc.

There are so many different ways to teach math and if you aren't understanding one way you can move on to another way. i.e. sometimes people are visual learners and need to draw on the page, sometimes they need to memorize formulas/rules and examples and then repeat them to understand, or sometimes they need to talk it out or write it down in their own words.

OP, I hope you and your daughter can find someone to help her understand math better! I'd check into tutoring programs at the library or a nearby college/university. I was a tutor at the library while going to university and we did lots of study nights to help students for free...
    Ciel likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by beckie.c View Post
    It makes me sad to see so many people struggle with math. I had an amazing high school math teacher (from Grade 7 to 12 and she was female!) and if I hadn't chosen to go into business I'd love to be a high school math teacher. I think there is math in a lot of simple day to day things especially involving money and in a lot of common professions... nursing, engineering, accounting/finance/business, architect, pharmaceuticals, any science/research related field, all of the trades, etc.

There are so many different ways to teach math and if you aren't understanding one way you can move on to another way. i.e. sometimes people are visual learners and need to draw on the page, sometimes they need to memorize formulas/rules and examples and then repeat them to understand, or sometimes they need to talk it out or write it down in their own words.

OP, I hope you and your daughter can find someone to help her understand math better! I'd check into tutoring programs at the library or a nearby college/university. I was a tutor at the library while going to university and we did lots of study nights to help students for free...
    It all comes down to the teacher. When i was in grade 9 I got a D in math. I never had that teacher again and I can tell you, I never got a grade lower than a B+ after that because I had amazing teachers. I went to university and graduated with an Economics degree.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information