• 3 Post By Mooseenzo
  • 2 Post By GoddessDigi
  • 4 Post By abbasgirl
  • 1 Post By tjthemanto

Thread: Stupid flat paint !

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have a home that is pretty new. The walls get marks on them so easily. If you even touch the walls with your hands it leaves a mark. If I even dare to use a soft paper towel and rub it up against the wall ever so gently, it will leave a mark ! I did some research and found out that flat/matte paint is the WORST to use in homes. It looks modern but so hard to keep clean ! It gets ruined so easily. I think I might just have to buy some touch up paint and hope that works without it being too noticeable. Just a heads up for anyone looking to re-paint your homes, do NOT use matte coloured paint...stick to eggshell. And yes, this is a first-world problem rant lol. It's just frustrating to spend so much on a home and then realize all this "modern" stuff is just a headache. Don't even get me started on stainless steel appliances (grrr can't keep those clean either) and dark hardwood floors (unless you enjoy vacuuming or sweeping 5 times a day). Time to go back to the old days with wallpaper, white appliances, and carpet.
    This thread is currently associated with: Mark's

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Haha ha Lol, I don't the walls have ears, eh?
    greeny, macw1960 and toronto166 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I completely agreed with the stainless steel appliance and the flat paint but there's no way I ever gonna get carpet again. We got rid of carpet years ago and the only area left with carpet on are the stairs but I dread vacuuming it, so much dust accumulated...at least with the hardwood floor I can quickly sweepfer it when I see it's getting dusty.
    greeny, macw1960, walkonby and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I agree about flat paint, it's just awful. I remember in our last house, there were places where I would wipe continually and the paint just wore off.

Oh, and I miss carpet, too! We have all hardwood where we are now, and gah!

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Our apartment has tile and dark wood. Last one had carpet all throughout.
    God, how I miss the carpet....
    Mopping 3+ times daily (each area) versus vacuuming the whole place twice a day and steam-cleaning once a month...no contest.
    We have rugs in the living room and kids room, and they are the fastest rooms for me to clean..
    Natalka, greeny, macw1960 and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

The stainless steel I had was fingerprint proof.
    Ciel and greeny like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

greeny I sure feel your aggravation. As far as carpet goes, I'd never install any ever again, once we removed what was here room by room and put in that wood flooring we never looked back.
    Ciel, greeny and Decaf like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Totally agree with the fustration of keeping stainless steel appliances clean/smudge free. Also just discovered my DS's magnetic letters have left scratches all over the front of my 3 month old fridge!

Good news- I have just tried 3M stainless steel cleaner/ polish. So far so good, seems to be working and I don't have to wipe down the fridge as much.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ciel, greeny and N@t@ like this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Yay for old appliances. xD lol
    I'll keep my white fridge that I only have to wipe down every other week, thanks. :p
    Ciel and greeny like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have a housecleaning business and all I can say is: Matte paint, dark hardwood and stainless steel...yep! That sounds like a nightmare!
    Natalka, Ciel, greeny and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Semi-gloss paint has its perks.
    I don't understand the fascination with dark hardwood flooring. Have carpet in LR, parquet in bedrooms, light-toned vinyl laminate in hall & kitchen/DR.
    Agree with white or light coloured appliances-sure they show spills but I find them easier on the eyes than stainless steel (especially during lightning storms).

OP you need some easy remedies to deal with the decor elements. Hope the spray cleaner works for you.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Yup ..I went for egg shell finish , when I repainted my house last summer. Flat leave lot of scruff marks.

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    I have a home that is pretty new. The walls get marks on them so easily. If you even touch the walls with your hands it leaves a mark. If I even dare to use a soft paper towel and rub it up against the wall ever so gently, it will leave a mark ! I did some research and found out that flat/matte paint is the WORST to use in homes. It looks modern but so hard to keep clean ! It gets ruined so easily. I think I might just have to buy some touch up paint and hope that works without it being too noticeable. Just a heads up for anyone looking to re-paint your homes, do NOT use matte coloured paint...stick to eggshell. And yes, this is a first-world problem rant lol. It's just frustrating to spend so much on a home and then realize all this "modern" stuff is just a headache. Don't even get me started on stainless steel appliances (grrr can't keep those clean either) and dark hardwood floors (unless you enjoy vacuuming or sweeping 5 times a day). Time to go back to the old days with wallpaper, white appliances, and carpet.
    GoJays likes this.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

One benefit of rentals. I always like dark coloured floors but after our last place I never want them again. Carpet is disgusting and impossible IMO with pets.

I've always known about the stainless steel appliances and never liked them much to begin with anyways. I'd definitely go with white appliances or even black if they still make them. Guess it would depend on the rest of the kitchens apperance.

As for paint - I had no idea, living in rentals I've never had to paint as we've always just left it whatever color it was when we moved in.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Thread Information