User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: It's not like SHE'll use math once she leaves school

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I was talking on a FB group about helping DD2( 13, sec 1, grade 7) with her math homework and (due to language problems) both of us getting frustrated.

Cue whole comment storm of replies....there were 3 really annoying types of replies..but no offers to give us any help or pointers with the homework..

Quote Originally Posted by Several Women
    well Math is hard isn't it??
    Quote Originally Posted by Mix of male and female
    women's brains are wired differently..it's down to biology
    Quote Originally Posted by SAHM
    Well, It's not like SHE'll use math once she leaves school
    I was shocked..

The whole math is hard/wired differently was not too much of a shock...

BUT....Well, It's not like SHE'll use math once she leaves school just floored me..There are no face/palms big enough or walls to headbang thick enough..

I'm a SAHM too and I constantly use math...in cooking, cleaning or in crafting something..planning my garden..decorating but most importantly..balancing my budget..

Some parts of math are never going to be part of how I run my home but those tend to be the more "pure" forms, university level..High school math I'm using all the time.

Guess I need to throw in my SAHM apron..
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

They'll always be people who say things we don't like. Just ignore it. Math skills are a good thing to have. You'll always need to budget your expenses/cheque book etc. Plus, who's to say your daughter won't become a math teacher one day? Don't let people on the internet ruin your mood. Don't give them that type of power.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

very interesting responses Darth, too bad no actual help was given to you though. As most parents did , we also struggled to comprehend our kids Math homework and sadly for me that happened when they were in Grade 5. I hope you can get some help from your DD's teachers with this, I say go to the source.

babies teach us acceptance

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

OMG!!! I wish people would quit saying they hate math or can't understand it. There are always more solutions than "the teacher's way" to solve math problems!!! I am still helping my daughter who is in grade 11 but the teachers make many errors and do not understand the concepts themselves.!!! I feel your pain. Good luck to you. By the way everyone uses math everyday so to say She'll never use it is the biggest misconception of all.
    torontogal12 and toronto166 like this.
    SMILE - and make the world a better place

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    I was talking on a FB group about helping DD2( 13, sec 1, grade 7) with her math homework and (due to language problems) both of us getting frustrated.
    This may help. Khan Academy math
    https://www.khanacademy.org/math
    Ladybug2011 likes this.

Trading Score
    107 (100%)

My husband calls me a "calculator kid". I vaguely remember using multiplication tables and it was grade 4 and up that calculators were handed out in my classes. I struggle with what should be simple math to do in my head and I hate it. I make due, just a bit slower at it, lol. But give me an algebra question or compounding interest and I will rock it!
    Like you said, it is a valuable skill that of course is used everyday in many situations as an adult. I don't want my DD to be a calculator kid!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

There are many professions that require math skills. I think that the people working in those professions are out of school.

I personally always struggled with math but I just did the best I could and passed the required courses.

There are always people who say things that will irk you. It happens to me all the time!
    toronto166 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Narrow minded people. They should never be promoting stereotypes that women have been trying to break for generations. We do use math every day. Fractions. Time calculations. Measurements. Counting change (I had a cashier once that couldn't figure out that she owed me five cents change).

I agree with asking the teachers, or what about other parents if they have suggestions?

Your kids will be ok even if you don't find a solution. My parents also could not help me with math due to language issues (similar to your situation, it sounds). I turned out fine and actually write business reports now.
    Last edited by torontogal12; Thu, Dec 11th, 2014 at 10:33 PM.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    183 (100%)

I feel your pain. I remember when my son was in grade 5 .... math was something he was fairly good at until they introduced a "Math Makes Sense" textbook and it was all word problems. He struggled with the word problems and became frustrated. His previously favorite subject became a nightmare.

I suggest if you aren't able to help her work through the chapters (and still like each other at the end of it) then hire a tutor.... could be an older student rather than a teacher. Lots of high school students make good tutors and role models And don't listen to all those individuals that posted on FB ... perhaps they manage without math in their lives but it's essential no matter what you do.
    torontogal12 and toronto166 like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    16 (100%)

I can't believe people still say things like this. Math was my best subject all through school, including the 2 university math courses I took. Too be fair, I don't use THAT math after graduating (calculus and linear algebra), but I definitely use math all the time. Especially with couponing and finding deals!

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Goodness! I used math today to calculate when would be the optimum time to go out and shovel the snow. I wanted to go at the warmest point of the day. Went out at 4:48pm. Perfect.

Yes, true story! I HATE THE COLD! Name:  brrr.gif
Views: 751
Size:  810 Bytes
    Shop online often? Join ebates.ca to get cashback on your purchases! I have earned over $230 to date.

Always looking for Pampers Gift To Grow codes! If you don't use them, please RAOK them to me.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Interesting. I grew up in a small town, and our schools were small (about 400 in public school, and 1000 in high school - my graduating class had 40 people). But the top math students were 90% female.

And like you, I don't have a profession where I need math, but I'm the type who is obsessed with budgeting and costs, and I also enjoy cooking - so math is very present in my every day life.

But besides all that, you have piqued my curiosity. What was the math problem you two were struggling with?

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

And you wonder why the drop out rate in Quebec is atrocious .

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Ummm, funny, my best subjects in school were math and English..
    And my middle school AND high school math teachers (schooled in US, so that's grades 6-10- I graduated 2years early) were female. So hah!
    And yes, math is an essential part to most people's days..
    Actually, with that 10% off Target coupon, the first one I used, the cashier couldn't get it to scan, and she was literally SHOCKED I did it in my head. 10% is easy, move the decimal over, and round up or down...EASY. And I do most of my counting by multiplying by 10, since it's easiest, so like...say it's 15% of 45, I do 10% of 45 is 4.5, so half is 2.25...4.5+2.25=6.75
    Kinda long, but it literally takes me seconds in my head...lol

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

What they need to teach more of in school is Money , Budget , Debt , Credit cards , Mortgage , loans etc.

I know lot of kids who come out of school , who know Math , like Algebra , Geometry etc ..but have no clue how Money works , especially credit card's & compound interest , student loans/debts , Banks etc.

Money & Personal Finance/Budget needs to be an improtant part of the curriculum & is often neglected.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information