• 3 Post By torontogal12
  • 3 Post By saddlebag
  • 3 Post By Anna Michele
  • 2 Post By beckie.c

Thread: QOTD: Wed 17 Dec- Safety

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Unfortunately crime exists.
    How do you keep yourself and/or you're family safe? What helpful tips would you share with others to keep safe?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by toban; Wed, Dec 17th, 2014 at 12:56 PM.
    Natalka, ticul and TooCouponCrazy like this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I'd say just be aware of your surroundings at all times. Noticing the small things can really help.

I took DS to WM today and he wanted McDonalds so we ate lunch there and talked about our day. I noticed a man watching us a little too closely for my comfort. I watched what I said from then on but I had already told DS we were going to the book store next.

Sure enough, I saw him a few times at the bookstore (there's only 1 near our WM). Could have been a complete coincidence but maybe not. I made sure to make contact with him - made eye contact with him and said I think I just saw you in WM and that the stores are insane today (just small talk). He mumbled something and walked away.

Like I said could have been a complete coincidence but I know connecting with people is generally a deterrent (they don't want to risk you remembering their face). I hate the thought of being followed, who knows what the person wants (your purse, your son, you, etc) so I always make sure to notice my surroundings and react if need be. The stores are crowded and crazy this time of year and that's what some people rely on.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bargain_hunter_lola View Post
    I'd say just be aware of your surroundings at all times. Noticing the small things can really help.

I took DS to WM today and he wanted McDonalds so we ate lunch there and talked about our day. I noticed a man watching us a little too closely for my comfort. I watched what I said from then on but I had already told DS we were going to the book store next.

Sure enough, I saw him a few times at the bookstore (there's only 1 near our WM). Could have been a complete coincidence but maybe not. I made sure to make contact with him - made eye contact with him and said I think I just saw you in WM and that the stores are insane today (just small talk). He mumbled something and walked away.

Like I said could have been a complete coincidence but I know connecting with people is generally a deterrent (they don't want to risk you remembering their face). I hate the thought of being followed, who knows what the person wants (your purse, your son, you, etc) so I always make sure to notice my surroundings and react if need be. The stores are crowded and crazy this time of year and that's what some people rely on.
    That is creepy and makes you wonder if he was following you. Good thing you made eye contact and small talk. One time I was being followed, turned around, made direct eye contact, studied his face, clothes etc. He stopped and left.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

This is not the world where my generation grew up in.....not perfect, but not as scary as it is now.
    Today...I thank heavens I'm not dating, don't have a small child..."stranger danger" is a fact of life now....;(

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The best thing you can do, especially if you are a woman, is take a self-defense course. They are often offered by martial arts schools, but it's not necessary to learn a martial art to defend yourself. I took a women's self-defense course through my local college. They are often offered by the police as well.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I also don't understand why women in the US are allowed to protect themselves with pepper sprays, etc, and Canadian women are just left out in the field to defend themselves with no weapons other than martial arts skills! As an elderly woman, I certainly can't take such a class, and since my accident (fall) , I feel even more vulnerable. I understand now how scary it is for people who are in wheelchairs, who walk with canes, as I do now....we're absolutely helpless if approached by an attacker!
    But...that's what our government says is just peachy, so.....smuggling protection over the border has been the solution for many women.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I always lock my doors even when I'm home.

I'm aware of my surroundings when walking, looking straight ahead , and watch my surroundings around me. I don't text or listen to music while walking in public. Walk like you own the sidewalk and part of the street lol.

I have a black belt in taekwondo (from when I was younger) and would only use it if need be. If my life was in danger.

If I suspect or know someone is following me (occurred once or twice), I turn around, and stare at them. Observe their face and clothes. In both cases the person moved away or crossed the street.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Avoid making myself a target....
    • never leave valuables visible in the car. Any purchases are hidden in the trunk. Once I load new purchases, I drive away.
    • new cars have immobilizers to prevent theft.... I had a car alarm to discourage "theft of content"
    • packaging from new purchases are not disposed in garbage left in the alley recycle bin. It's driven to the transfer station to be recycled quietly.
    • security bars and good locks for the home.
    Lynn49 and Anna Michele like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Always walk in brightly lit places. If you're walking alone at night, call someone while you're walking. No one menacing will want to approach you if they know a person on the other side of the line will hear something happening. I don't listen to music either. Too distracting and you could get hit by a car.

If walking in an unfamiliar area, always study a map first. I always find out the first 2 intersections before where I need to go. That way you don't look confused. This furthers @toban 's point of walking like you own the sidewalk. If you know the streetnames, you can

Get a home alarm. You may never need to use it but it is peace of mind and the monitoring can cost as low as $100 per year.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

Talked to the kids about stranger danger. We have a security system at home, and I'm always ready to attack anyone that tries to harm my family, I know that May sound crazy....but when we are out and about I'm in protective mama mode
    ....just be happy

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Nowadays the internet is what scares me. My son plays these games and adds "his friends" I make sure they are friends from school andtell him never to give out our address or phone number to anyone online.
    Ohsucha scary world we live in
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

My mom always passed along little tidbits from her RCMP training, one I've always remember is to keep my head up and watch the movements of people's hands... if someone is going to do something to you it is likely going to be with their hands, or something in their hands.

At home, we have a Great Dane and although she is a sweet heart, her bark and size at the front window deters most people, even the pesky security salesmen that visit often.

My lovely, trusting grandparents always post on excitedly on Facebook when they are going away to see someone or on a weekend trip, it makes me cringe every-time see it and read between the lines (NO ONE WILL BE HOME, Empty House!).
    toban and Anna Michele like this.

Thread Information