User Tag List

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Like Tree620Likes

Thread: New Years Financial Resolution (post your resolution & updates)

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Not really a resolution but finally got off my butt and called about getting our income tax re assessed as I found out something new that does apply to us so I need to fill out some paperwork to get back an extra $750.00. I will probably use it to pay down the mortgage.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

This will be our last month with scotiabank, doing the 1 month cross over period just incase, so I will be saving $12.95 a month which quickly adds up. We sold a bunch of items on local facebook groups and I'm quite confident we have enough to purchase the spray foam kit which will be a winter project. Going forward any funds made from sales will be for getting an electrician to finish up some odds & ends to start the downstairs powder room and then after electrician we will purchase the toilet and sink....phew pretty confident we can atleast save up for the electrician before end of October, atleast it's a plan to work towards.
    macw1960 and bobbiegirl2010 like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

A few more items sold the past few weeks so more money in the jar and less crap in the house. Really need get at organizing my junk room/for sale room and get stuff out the door and $ in. House jobs are coming along (touch ups finished from hall/stairwell being painted. Trim and stairs all painted and look great! Will be trying not to spend much money the next 2 weeks and use up what we have.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Painted the muskoka chairs this weekend (same can from when they were bought and painted for the first time so no $ out of pocket) Also painted 2 more with table that were my mom's and sitting in the back corner of the yard for years. It looks like new now! Free mulch and compost also cleaned up the yard this weekend. We really did have a low cost weekend.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Checked on all my accounts to make sure everything is ok. Going into the weekend I like to know where I stand. Don't plan on much spending this weekend other then groceries (milk and not too much really needed) as I am trying to use up what we have with no waste and we still have lots of veggies etc. My 3 Credit cards all have credits on them. I have $22.96 CT $ on the card (and an envelope of paper CT that I need to total) PC pts between both cards total $363.00 SDM pts 110,744 (approx. $180 value) Going to really try and hold off on redeeming any pts and save them for down the road. Will keep at the house projects to get the house in order and organized (which saves $) and the house projects on the go. Rooms still need the touch ups painted. Maybe will write out a list of the action plan and try to do so Sat since Sunday is our day of fun. Invested $500 in TFSA yesterday.
    macw1960 and jasperandchar like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Payday is Friday so cleaned up the accounts etc. Have credits on all Credit cards (one I put a bit on to cover strawberries I plan to buy today so after that purchase will have $40 credit still so that should cover milk and fruit purchased on the weekend. We really don't need much and have stuff in freezer to use up still. and I'm transferring $200!!! for groceries from last period (it was $150 last period so I actually spent $50 less) This really motivates me to shop/cook smart!! I totally believe that healthy eating is cheaper!

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

I upped our mortgage payment which comes out biweekly rather than doing it at the end of each month. I will save a little more interest and time this way too.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@macw1960 wonderful news bout your mortgage

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    @macw1960 wonderful news bout your mortgage
    Thanks, funny thing is that DH knows nothing about it (it will be a surprise in 2019 when renewal will happen). I do the budget but do keep DH informed and I don't usually keep secrets from him.
    We have been managing just fine more so since we moved...downsizing does wonders for your budget.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

Our financial situation for the year is still looking uncertain. I had my 2 full-time daycare children leave within 2 weeks of each other. I have 3 school age children still with me but one will be leaving at the end of the school year. Currently my income is 1/2 of what it previously was.

These are our goals for the next 3 months:

1) Increase income: Plan A: Continue to advertise in hopes to replace daycare children who have left. If this doesn't pan out by August move on to Plan B: Find a job outside the home.

2) Do not incur any new debt. Either don't buy it or come up with the money by selling stuff or DH can work overtime.

3) Stick to budget for all areas (especially groceries).

4) Continue to fund accounts for car expenses and vet expenses. I will resume funding other accounts once my income increases.

5) Continue saving 15% of my daycare income every month for 2015 income tax and $100 deposit to RRSP.

6) Put all extra $$ towards paying off LOC after balancing monthly budget.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Forgot to mention I canceled our TV for awhile anyways. We don't watch it much so I will be watching Corrie on the computer or have my nose stuck in a book.
    jasperandchar likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Budget is all cleaned up for the new pay period. All credit cards paid in full (some with credits). Working on my "to do" lists for the house. Trying to clean/organize before we start any new projects. (and finish the ones that are half done! Painting!!! Main and 2nd story has touch ups puttied- just need to get the paint on it! Will make a nice clean to do list and post it on the fridge and hopefully scratch a new item off each night.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@macw1960 definitely will be a surprise for your dh & again congrats on your mortgage and savings on your cable/tv changes as well - your well on your way to great things as you're making so making positive financial changes

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Budget is all cleaned up for the new pay period. All credit cards paid in full (some with credits). Working on my "to do" lists for the house. Trying to clean/organize before we start any new projects. (and finish the ones that are half done! Painting!!! Main and 2nd story has touch ups puttied- just need to get the paint on it! Will make a nice clean to do list and post it on the fridge and hopefully scratch a new item off each night.
    Great job @Frugalbigmama with all credits and projects on the go and finished

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    74 (100%)

Hey, all: I need to get serious about finances and I very much like the thought, the mood of this thread. So I'm going to jump in mid-year. I am a contractor so I do not have one employer but I am so unhappy that I need to leave them all and make a radical change in my direction. I don't want to saddle my terrific husband with more responsibility so I will be phasing clients out slowly and trying to pick up entirely different work, while counting every penny. This forum helps so-o-o much. I learn, I save, I feel welcome. I don't know how people here could be any better than they are. Heck, I even like everyone's flaws...like when someone forgets to bring their coupon holder to the grocery store and ends up beating herself up. I've done it myself...but, then, I realize how great it is for this to be my worst problem that day.

So...my financial goal is to start back with recording every cent that comes in and every cent that goes out. It really worked well when I did that last year but I got overwhelmed and I just didn't want to face anything unpleasant, like some of the bills that landed on our heads unexpectedly. I wanted to close my eyes (so to speak) and just pay them. But, starting tonight, I am cracking open the account books. Thanks gals and guys. Like I said...you're the best.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information