User Tag List

Page 36 of 71 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 ... LastLast
Like Tree8085Likes

Thread: Just chilling in January (2015 frugal chatter)

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Ashley I think your mom needs a scare tactic, I wouldn't bail he out financially. If she has bills due at the end of the month then she needs to get creative (sell some items from her storage unit, advertise and/or get side jobs with her cake business) especially considering that she is not willing to put her best foot forward with the house (storage/cleanup) duties AND it's not fair to put you in such a situation. She needs to make a plan and stick with it, I mean if she is only working 13 hours what's the problem? Good luck & hugs
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

You're doing awesome Mrs. S.
    Andit, Crochetlady, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Granger congrats on the new vehicle
    Andit, Crochetlady, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

here's a link to the Financial resolution thread a few on here already joined but perhaps a few more might be interested (no pressure)

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/397298-...pdates-canada/
    Andit, Crochetlady, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

What do you think is coming in the near future given all the changes in the financial world (Canada)?

What I mean is with the oil prices going down, the closure of stores such as Target Canada, Sony closing stores, Sobey's closing 50 stores across Canada and other economic factors.

What do you predict or what have you been saying to yourself, family, friends.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-granger nice car
    -mrs .sunshine that's awesome he sales you are doing -I had posted 12 more things on kijij before xmas and 2 hits but they ask for my address and don't get back to me
    -just bought myself new jammies at reitmans (3/4 length black top with animal print bottoms 19.99 -15.99-50% off pink stickers items=7.99 nope free cause I had a giftcard leftover from my birthday
    Andit, Crochetlady, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    What do you think is coming in the near future given all the changes in the financial world (Canada)?

What I mean is with the oil prices going down, the closure of stores such as Target Canada, Sony closing stores, Sobey's closing 50 stores across Canada and other economic factors.

What do you predict or what have you been saying to yourself, family, friends.
    Personally I don't feel we ever fully came out of a recession like the government has said years ago. I have watched financial segments where financial gurus have said the same thing and I'm jut an average person. I've noticed that over the last 2 years anyways that when at the grocery store for example people only seem to have the items to get them thru yes there is the odd person with their grocery cart filled but they are a minority atleast in my neck of the woods.

I think that we are headed into another recession but like I said above I don't believe we ever fully recovered.

With the rising prices of groceries, hydro and everything else it's hard to get ahead of the rat race (excuse the expression). And it's funny like dh said to me over and over that prices have increased because of the high gas prices over the years but now that the gas prices are much better nothing is going down in prices. Same when we had the mad cow, prices were not lowered and other countries didn't want our beef, then the chicken flu or whatever it was called same thing....

And yesterday the gov't announces it will only be reading/making their budget in April given the uncertainties at this time...hmmm..

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I had another pick up today for $20.00 a cd player that has been lying around for several years so that is going in my spray foam reno kitty...baby steps but it all adds up.

Dh painted 1/2 of Jaden's new rooms as there is a bed in the way so the other 1/2 will be done tomorrow, he also did a few more touch-ups of drywall mud downstairs, most of which should be ready to be painted very shortly

Hopefully we will install the medallion and light fixture in Jaden's room tomorrow as well and start painting the baseboards that are in the garage. We are getting so close I'm getting excited as Logan will move into Jaden's old room (quick paint job needed) and voila then we move onto Logan's room which needs a total gut (exterior walls), insulation, drywall, etc but then his room will be warm and that should also address the mildew issues in the 1 corner.

We went out today and I purchased a new vaccum at WM which was on sale for $39.00 and it works fantastic, my old vacuum died 2 weeks ago and well it's long gone and the carpet was looking like a furball so I am very excited with clean carpets again (I am a simpleton lol).

I applied for a PC MasterCard 2 days ago and got a call this evening asking a few security questions and I'm approved, so happy as I was wanting to get a credit card that would be most beneficial for our family and this is the 1 at the moment that suits us best. They had a promotion that if you applied and are approved by some date in February that you would get 20,000 points in coupons and 5000 points for applying online as well as 25,000 points for your 1st purchase over $50.00 so a total of 50,000 points = $50.00 towards free groceries yippee....

I am saving all of our points SDM, pc points and others for Christmas this year, dh & I have agreed it makes the most sense as December is a very costly month with the holidays.

Does anyone know if you can redeem your pc points on other products besides food ie. such as dvd/bluray movies, xbox games, etc or gc's for other stores that pc stores sell like restaurants, etc?

here's the link for the pc mastercard if anyone is interested in giving it a try
    http://pcfinancial.ca/whyjoin/?promo.../freegroceries

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Yes! You can use pc points for everything they sell.
    Andit, Crochetlady, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

nancy -I don't know what lies ahead but things are not cheaper except gas -I was having a talk with my daughter tonight and sh said she has baby fund set up /travel fund and puts money in them both she sure has come long way from the teenager who use to spend freely
    hubby and I always save for a rainy day -plus his income may change later this year -always gotta be prepared

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

J & C: As FBM said anything in the store. I have heard that you can buy gift cards but I have never tried. It is my primary card and last year I earned $940.00 in points of which I used 100% for groceries. With two boys (1 is teen the other a lacrosse player) this makes a huge difference to our grocery budget. I do all my price matching at RCSS and it adds up. So far this year I have already used 50.00 of points for groceries with almost 90.00 sitting on the card. I linked my PC Plus to my PC MC and it is so easy. We do all our banking at PC so that helps too as a few points are earned from the bank account. Last week I had an offer for 200 points for every $ spent on potatoes, but I did not need them and could not find them on sale. This week I had an offer for 400 points for every $ spent on potatoes & fortinos has them on sale for 1.99 for a 10 pound bag. Since I am making turkey soup on the weekend I will buy 2 bags.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@SassyAshley -you're correct, the magazines won't be worth your time selling-Mom can do it. If your mother would rather risk the storage unit business auctioning off the contents if she does not keep account current or empty the unit, it's on her and she cannot then complain about the loss of the items. She has a car? Or that friend of hers? She'd be able to try to remove smaller items before or after her Sunday shift as the days are getting longer.

I would suggest seeing how Mom reacts if you tell her to try selling her gold jewellery to a jewellery store. It's one way to get cash; another is selling metal to a scrap dealer.
    Meanwhile, you have your things to do, a vacation trip coming up, there's your exercise routine and you're going to try one night a week to do something for you.
    @jasperandchar-I hope your sons understand how great it is to have parents who work as a team and work together on financial matters. Important lessons for them and their future relationships!
    About recession-I still remember fall 2008, the late Jim Flaherty was keeping the party line there was no recession. By Feb 2009, he saw reality and caught up with citizens who lived the reality. The churn in service jobs/contract jobs with no benefits-not really something for anyone without a cushion of family or health to endure for a long time. Once something happens (financially, medically), the straw breaks the camel's back and financial stability is history. One word in job ads that always inspires difficult feelings is the word flexible. Yes flexible for work needs but not necessarily for a worker's own needs.
    Last edited by Ciel; Fri, Jan 16th, 2015 at 09:51 PM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Hi folks! I'm trying to do 16 things at once! But I definitely had to thank all of you for your birthday greetings! It was a very good day, except that dh had a major vertigo issue again which changed our "leave the house" plans. My choir sang "Happy Birthday" to me at the practise yesterday afternoon and my brother came over for supper instead of us going out. Take Out Swiss Chalet! Today we were able to join sil and her beau for lunch out at a really great local restaurant and shared a bday cake with mil at the nursing home and had a nice visit. But now it's time to get nose to the grind stone and get some long-overdue things done. @Crochetlady - I hope that your bil is doing well @Natalka - you always have such great visits with your son! @jasperandchar - I am hoping you get quick relief from your gallbladder problem! It sounds awful! @sweet sparrow - glad to see you back! @Lilo - wow - that's quite a change in your monthly budget!! Good luck getting things back in line with your budget. @Mrs. S . You are the downsizing wizard! And it seems to be going very well!
    Best wishes to all of you! I'm going to take a look at what's on sale this week. Our freezer is still chock full so we don't need a lot but fresh fruit and veggies.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Got an update on bil tonight. He`s been moved from intensive care to a step down unit...same room hubby was in 3 years ago. If all goes well they may transfer him to Listowel early next week.
    Andit, avoncallingu, Ciel and 4 others like this.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

thanks all.. yes im quite happy. the money is going towards dinner, flowers for moms bday tomorrow.
    no money OOP. love it.

going to be a long one. enjoy your weekend all.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Page 36 of 71 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 ... LastLast

Thread Information