User Tag List

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree661Likes

Thread: UPDATE: Will Target leave Canada in 2015? Yes.

bmc
    Female
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'll will definitely miss Target. I prefer shopping here than Walmart. I go to Target every week just to see what's on clearance.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

just for the fact that they are competition for walmart they need to stay.. if walmart has no competition (mass discount retailer) it means they can control the market and honestly that is a scary thing they could easily up their prices, and treat customers like absolute crap and we'd just lay back and take it because we have no other option...
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SavvyLady View Post
    I'm not a good customer..I only shop at 70-90% off..or for price matching...I don't think I ever bought anything for full price..I'll miss their specials, but that's about it..
    Actually, I think that you are a good customer.
    A smart customer
    A Smart Canuck --> and Target maybe wasn't ready for the smart Canucks
    Ciel and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I wouldn't be sorry to see them go. People joke that they're Zellers 2.0 and I never really liked shopping at Zellers either.

That being said, I had a good experience the last time I was in. The staff were quite helpful.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightly View Post
    just for the fact that they are competition for walmart they need to stay.. if walmart has no competition (mass discount retailer) it means they can control the market and honestly that is a scary thing they could easily up their prices, and treat customers like absolute crap and we'd just lay back and take it because we have no other option...
    so true
    Wally's is treating us better because they have competition.
    That's the real plus of having Target here--> competition makes thing so much better for us
    Ciel, Midnightly and Arvilish like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Seems that Target has to smooth out the stocking issues at some stores and play eenie-meenie-miney-moe in choosing between two locations that are close together.

I like the store lighting, absence of music, the presence of Starbucks (would love to know how it's doing by store location each month), cleanliness, roominess, availability of staff usually (evenings, some are doing stock movement so might have to wander departments or go to a corner to find one). The capsule designer collections draw me in when I otherwise was not planning to go into the store. Some specials get me in the door too. Threshold bath products (patterned) are saving the bathroom decor because I cannot find anything I really like at Walmart and Sears makes me sad, as the stock is so muted in tones (unlike 11 years ago, more vibrant offerings).
    This year, I want to do a full grocery shop in Target at least once, because there is no cart rallying in the grocery aisles and there are some sections that I want to explore.

Target has to see 2016, when the big US retailers come to market-also Uniqlo. There should be plenty of retail game by then!
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Seems that Target has to smooth out the stocking issues at some stores and play eenie-meenie-miney-moe in choosing between two locations that are close together.

I like the store lighting, absence of music, the presence of Starbucks (would love to know how it's doing by store location each month), cleanliness, roominess, availability of staff usually (evenings, some are doing stock movement so might have to wander departments or go to a corner to find one). The capsule designer collections draw me in when I otherwise was not planning to go into the store. Some specials get me in the door too. Threshold bath products (patterned) are saving the bathroom decor because I cannot find anything I really like at Walmart and Sears makes me sad, as the stock is so muted in tones (unlike 11 years ago, more vibrant offerings).
    This year, I want to do a full grocery shop in Target at least once, because there is no cart rallying in the grocery aisles and there are some sections that I want to explore.

Target has to see 2016, when the big US retailers come to market-also Uniqlo. There should be plenty of retail game by then!
    Good point about Starbucks. Each time I go to one particular Target at lunch, there is a line up at Starbucks. Having Starbucks in Targets was a good move, IMO.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

If target left I would do a happy dance for I am one of those target haters. I can count on one hand how many times I've been in the store and adding up how much money I've spent there is very easy - $0.00.

For me, there are plenty of other options other than Walmart or target. My groceries and household chemicals come from either Superstore, Longos or Costco and most of our clothing comes from Sears or Winners. I don't buy stuff just because it's on clearance for a very good price. Sure, I get happy when I find something that I need that happens to be on clearance but if I don't need it then it's not a good deal for me regardless of the price. I don't have the space in my house to hoard stuff.

With that being said, good riddance target. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    Ciel and toronto166 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

i love target,, but i hated it at first, i think that because of the first impression they made during their grand opening with clothing prices being $1 or $2 more than walmart they sunk right there. here where i live , they opened before christmas ,, people didnt care about the quality of items they cared about lower prices . those people never went back,

Trading Score
    5 (86%)

I kind of find it funny that the general public finds out about this knowledge before the employees. I mean, I feel the employees should be given ample time to be given the chance to look for jobs and be prepared for the job cuts. I wouldn't gone through the trouble of being crossed trained to be able to work in other departments.

What I noticed while working at Target is that a lot of our stock goes to Rev Log because people open our product and damages it. People take sealed product open then, sample them and put them back on the shelves. Other people won't buy stuff like that. People opening up the fitted sheets just to feel the material, when they use the same material for the bag holding its contents. I swear there are people who come into the store just to do their hair. Ive found empty cans of hair spray and dry shampoo on the shelves.

As a guest/customer of Target I don't mind their things. My boyfriend buys things from there more than I do. He bought two threshold gel pillows for $20 and he loves them. They haven't gotten flat, they retained shape and it actually helped him fall asleep better than his old pillows. I still find most of their prices on the steep end, but I'm surprised to have found Always Panty Liners marked for clearance.

I was told that the analysts said the same about Walmart and they're still in Canada. I'm glad Zellers is gone. I hated Zellers. The one time I was accused of shoplifting with no absolute proof was appalling to me. It made me wonder how many people they accused of stealing the 2010 Vancouver olympic gloves that were could be bought at any Canadian retailer.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by xbbx View Post
    I kind of find it funny that the general public finds out about this knowledge before the employees. I mean, I feel the employees should be given ample time to be given the chance to look for jobs and be prepared for the job cuts. I wouldn't gone through the trouble of being crossed trained to be able to work in other departments.
    It's not a certainty that Target will leave Canada in 2015. Maybe that is why it is not yet discussed with employees.
    Ciel and toronto166 like this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    It's not a certainty that Target will leave Canada in 2015. Maybe that is why it is not yet discussed with employees.

i agree i think this is all just guesswork and speculation with what the market is doing and how target is doing in canada with the issues they have had and the changes that have happened and shifted i don't think there is anything official if and when something official happens i do hope they will tell employees before they make a formal announcement (even if it's inform employees in the morning then announce public that afternoon... so news doesn't accidentally leak out)
    Ciel and Shwa Girl like this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

You can add MEXX to the list of stores closing; by the end of February, 2015...they filed for bankruptcy.

Also on the chopping block, potentially:

Jacob
    Sears (doubled its losses in recent quarter in spite of efforts to up-date)
    Reitman's
    Chapters/Indigo: attempts to boost sales by getting into more of the "giftwares" area have been unsuccessful, and on-line purchases, although successful, are still only 10% of their profit-line
    Aeropostale: "kids don't think it's cool anymore"
    BestBuy: slow sales, a victim of "showrooming"...customers looking at products, then buying them online at reduced prices.
    LeChateau: stock price around $15 in 2010, now 1.50

Watch for sales.
    Last edited by Lynn49; Wed, Jan 14th, 2015 at 01:36 PM.
    Ciel, Decaf, JDI007 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've been in Target maybe 3 times. Yes, the stores were clean but in all fairness, there was NOONE in there. My co-worker and I counted a total of 5 people in the store (that we could see) and this was during our lunch period meanwhile, if we go to Walmart during our lunch period, it is a zoo. Two weeks ago, DH and I were at a Target store at 7:55 a.m. waiting for them to open up at 8. When it was 8 o'clock, DH asked if I was sure they were open. We were the only 2 people in the entire store for quite a while. Personally I can't see them being here much longer. When they are selling things at 70-90% off (great for the customers), they certainly can't be making any money and if a business isn't making any money then it is not viable for them to be open (IMO).
    Ciel and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by toronto166 View Post
    I've been in Target maybe 3 times. Yes, the stores were clean but in all fairness, there was NOONE in there. My co-worker and I counted a total of 5 people in the store (that we could see) and this was during our lunch period meanwhile, if we go to Walmart during our lunch period, it is a zoo. Two weeks ago, DH and I were at a Target store at 7:55 a.m. waiting for them to open up at 8. When it was 8 o'clock, DH asked if I was sure they were open. We were the only 2 people in the entire store for quite a while. Personally I can't see them being here much longer. When they are selling things at 70-90% off (great for the customers), they certainly can't be making any money and if a business isn't making any money then it is not viable for them to be open (IMO).
    Lol....exactly the reason I love Target and not the zoo WM is. Unfortunately I, our DD and the handful if others may not be enough to keep them afloat.
    Ciel, Anna Michele and toronto166 like this.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information