User Tag List

Page 23 of 68 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast
Like Tree2503Likes

Thread: Target leaving Canada!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TargetMama View Post
    I found that most of the "over priced and under stocked" comments came from people who went once when they first opened, or never went at all and took the rumours at face value. Those of us who shopped there on a regular basis knew both of those "facts" were completely untrue.

I guess it depends what you are looking for. I am one of those people that found them overpriced on many things(clothes for one, household items and small appliances) and under stocked/out of stock on a lot of stuff . However I only went there to look for clearance deals. I rarely looked at their flyer. My shopping was based on the red sticker clearance items thread. I was not looking for a pleasant shopping experience I was only looking for deals. The pleasant experience and nice employees were a bonus.

I think many SCer's are NOT their target consumer. I am certainly not. They did not make a profit off of me. I am their worst type of customer, I go in with a list I stick to it and I do not browse and I do not buy anything at full retail. I am sorry to see them go as I got tons of stuff for my family and my DD"s school but as my experience taught me there's always going to be another sale/bankruptcy/liquidation somewhere.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by salady View Post

Really? And yet you state this as a fact. How do you know about the shopping habits of others? Goodness...could you sound any more condescending?

Way too much messiah complex in this thread. Thought we were here to discuss Target shutting down, not berate others for why they did or didn't shop somewhere.
    Yikes. I've been following the news because I am so disappointed to be losing Target. Read pages and pages of comments that said "Good riddance, never shopped there, too expensive", "The stores were empty the one time I went in, never went back." I didn't mean it as a value judgement. Sorry you had such bad experience there. Personally I loved it, and other regulars to the Target thread did too.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by salady View Post
    Because Target may have been out of stock on the items they wanted to buy perhaps? I know at my local Target, they were ALWAYS out of stock...after giving them so many chances to get sufficient stock in or to impose buying limits, I gave up going there. Waste of my time and gas. I have stopped shopping at places that simply don't meet my needs...this isn't just some anti-Target thing.

Also, Walmart is everywhere. You will easily find a Walmart store in every square inch of Canada (ok, bit of an exaggeration there but you know what I mean!) unlike Target so WM is just more accessible to people who don't want to go to 3-4 different stores to get their shopping done.

Way too much messiah complex in this thread. Thought we were here to discuss Target shutting down, not berate others for why they did or didn't shop somewhere.
    I understand the out of stock thing. There were a few times I was looking for something not advertised in the flyer and found nothing. The Targets near me are all close to major grocery stores or superstores so I could go across the street to find what I was looking for.

I think a lot of people will miss the good things about Target. There were some bad things like stock issues and no groceries, but I've had a lot of bad experiences with Walmart. I'm sure if Walmart were to leave, there would be a lot of people that would miss the good things about it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by toronto166 View Post
    I do all my price matching there for fruits and veggies because the Asian markets tend to sell them at cheaper prices and since I can't go to 5 or 6 different stores, I take all my flyers in there and do my PM'ing. Walmart doesn't have the cheapest prices on everything, I agree there, but for me it's the convenience of doing all my shopping in one store (closest store to me).
    It's really nice that you can do that. The grocery section in my WM is really small and poorly stocked. I find that unless I'm looking for potatoes and carrots, they don't have much of what I'm looking for.

To the person that asked about calling in to Targets, I called three yesterday (in two different towns) and had no issues.
    toronto166 likes this.

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Salady I was not asking why people are shopping at Walmart, my question again was why if prices are so cheap at Walmart does everyone PRICEMATCH at Walmart. My point being that if walmarts regular and sale prices are so cheap like everyone claims, people wouldn't be going there armed with everyone else's ads to match
    walkonby, Decaf, Dinobuzz and 5 others like this.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i have also heard the complaints comments about being "soo overpriced" when often the people who have said it.. had only been in the store once or twice when they first opened (no sales had started and clothing was on the slightly higher end price wise but the quality was 100% better!) but i strongly believe if the items were the same price as walmart people would still have complained the prices were too high.. people just had this assumption that target would have these super cheap prices (below cost style prices) and also it was the lack of plus sized selection that turned a number of people away from target (BUT if target stayed they had plans to bring in a plus sized line in april!) and it was the lack of stock.. people just grasp on this idea that if the shelf wasn't overflowing with excess product that they were always out of product
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

Target was ALWAYS overpriced so I'm surprised that anyone would suggest otherwise. The clothes were poor quality at higher prices than Walmart - which is always poor quality clothing. Being at Target was like a newer version of Zellers - the only time it was competitive prices was on % off deals (exactly like Zellers) or clearance items. I know that I can go to Walmart and get bed sheets for $22 ALL THE TIME regardless of a sale - whereas Target had equally crappy bed sheets for $45.. Zellers all over again. At least Target prices actually scanned as compared to Zellers prices. Walmart regular prices are cheapest - as for why people price match there all the time? Walmart can't be expected to meet every other stores sales every single week - I think that's obvious, but there is NO question that on an average week w/o sales their prices are far lower that any other store.

The fact of the matter is that Target went under for the exact same reason that Zellers did - if I want to pay $59.99 for a pair of boots, I'll go to Softmoc.. Offer the poor quality crap super cheap or go out of business.
    Scarfs - $25% off
    Kids hoodies $30% off
    Toys 30% off
    Walmart doesn't do that sort of thing - it's as cheap as it's going to get, unless you're lucky and it goes on clearance but really that hasn't been happening much why? Because their regular prices are already cheaper than everyone else..

Target the best was the % off but no clue what the original price was - how could I calculate what the 40% off was if I didn't know the reg price? As annoying as Zellers was..
    walkonby likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Target just had a perception problem of being overpriced & understocked. Sadly perception became a reality for most people, falsely & wrongly though. Whatever was overpriced was overpriced because it was much better quality & more stylish that Wal Mart. But similar quality & similar goods, were pretty much the same price at Target & elsewhere.

In the first 4-5 months , they were bad ..but in the last 1.5 yrs or so, they have been pretty good. Because they made a bad first impression , they never got a second chance.

The same thing with Black Berry , BB is now making very good touch screen phones now , but people who have never tried the new BB phones or used BB, still bash BB just for the sake of it. BB can't get rid of that tag now , and are on the verge of going under soon..and are losing Market Share everyday.
    People just blindly buy Samsung & Apple phones at 2-3 times more cost than BB phones like Z10 , Z30 which are equally good & much cheaper.

The media also picks up the so called negative story and piles on ..same case with Target & BB .

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i also think target was plagued with bad press... first they were the great evil that closed zellers.. puttinng all zellers employees out of work(when actually it was HBC that did that),they open the doors and "oh my gosh they are soo expensive, they are lacking stock" along with "their colour is red so that makes them an over priced zellers" that the colour alone made them comparable to zellers (even after massive remodels of the buildings, completely different styles/lines and products happy helpful employees)vrs zellers old run down grungy stores, dated products and grumpy staff... then they were the great evil that refused to let the sally anne kettles ring the bells outside the store (which they first said no then said sure... but damage already done... and the kettlers preferred the mall entrances anyways.. and targets are almost all mall attached) and.. little lesser but important they carried no plus size when canada has a rather large market for plus size (people expected it and it wasn't there)

they never did an official opening...they just did soft openings when each store opened it's doors.. so they never had the big "welcome to target" deals and they never had flyers from the moment the door opened with great sales (those came later) they didn't have enough time to dive into the communities and sponsor things, spread the love and get their name out there get people to change their minds about the negatives (and realize those were just growing pains) and convince them that they were a better option then walmart
    kiwis-mom, Decaf and solace76 like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cmontario View Post
    The liquidators dropped orders for the remainder items in the distribution centers on Friday there is over 600,000 items in our location mostly full cases
    The area I work is called Breakpack (we pack small quantities of items) where we have 20 modulators (10 on each side)
    Saturday was the last day that 2 of them were shipping items from and we had to completely close them down, usually when a box is full we remove it and open a label for that store on a new box. It felt strange closing it too.
    Most of the order pickers were picking full cases, only 2 pickers were picking the remainder items for our area. On Saturday when we left our area had about 20,000 items that still needed to be packed away and put on the conveyor belts.
    When we go in on Friday for the start of our shift we have no idea what we will be doing or how much longer we have to work.
    Now that it's getting closer to seeing our area closed it's hitting us all bad
    I'm having such a harder time sleeping and get teary eyed at times.
    I can hear it in your words and your post got me a little teary too. I am sorry you are going through this and I hope you have much luck finding new employment.
    Ciel, Decaf and Cata like this.
    Opening a fee-free Tangerine account using my Orange key: 43034602S1 You will receive a $50 bonus from Tangerine. Get another $25 bonus when opening a Savings account and making automatic deposits for 6 months AND get another $25 from me! PM me for details.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by LisaLisaBoBisa View Post
    Target was ALWAYS overpriced so I'm surprised that anyone would suggest otherwise. The clothes were poor quality at higher prices than Walmart - which is always poor quality clothing. Being at Target was like a newer version of Zellers - the only time it was competitive prices was on % off deals (exactly like Zellers) or clearance items. I know that I can go to Walmart and get bed sheets for $22 ALL THE TIME regardless of a sale - whereas Target had equally crappy bed sheets for $45.. Zellers all over again. At least Target prices actually scanned as compared to Zellers prices. Walmart regular prices are cheapest - as for why people price match there all the time? Walmart can't be expected to meet every other stores sales every single week - I think that's obvious, but there is NO question that on an average week w/o sales their prices are far lower that any other store.

The fact of the matter is that Target went under for the exact same reason that Zellers did - if I want to pay $59.99 for a pair of boots, I'll go to Softmoc.. Offer the poor quality crap super cheap or go out of business.
    Scarfs - $25% off
    Kids hoodies $30% off
    Toys 30% off
    Walmart doesn't do that sort of thing - it's as cheap as it's going to get, unless you're lucky and it goes on clearance but really that hasn't been happening much why? Because their regular prices are already cheaper than everyone else..

Target the best was the % off but no clue what the original price was - how could I calculate what the 40% off was if I didn't know the reg price? As annoying as Zellers was..
    I agree with some of your points..I can't comment totally about Target as I was only able to shop there a handful of times but I don't agree with Walmart prices always being the cheapest. Their prices fluctuate (without sales) so often, its hard to say what the "regular" price was. Very frustrating. Many times i've picked up an item at Walmart and put it back because I knew I could get it so much cheaper else where. Thats my experience with what I buy...I understand its different for everyone.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by peachies View Post
    I agree with some of your points..I can't comment totally about Target as I was only able to shop there a handful of times but I don't agree with Walmart prices always being the cheapest. Their prices fluctuate (without sales) so often, its hard to say what the "regular" price was. Very frustrating. Many times i've picked up an item at Walmart and put it back because I knew I could get it so much cheaper else where. Thats my experience with what I buy...I understand its different for everyone.
    that was my experience also.. i found that walmarts prices often fluctuated sometimes only a few cents but something it was easily a buck! (what can be significant on an item that is under $5)
    coupondiva and annedougherty like this.

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Decaf View Post
    I agreed! I mean same with SDM, I'd prefer to shop at the larger store that carry more grocery with freezer section. I find it's a lot easier to spend $50 when grocery is added to the bill. It's hard to spend $50 or more when all you get is personal care items, OTC meds, a little bit of cleaning supply, and packaged / can food. With a decent sale and large grocery section I sometimes forgot that I am actually shopping at a drugstore. I hope SDM would consider a Mega SDM, I mean with Loblaw behinds them I don't see why they can't expand to add fresh produce and more grocery selection.
    That would be a dream come true!

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

If a ridiculosuly over priced store like SDM can survive , I don't know why Target couldn't make it. Not only surviving , they are thriving.

Ofcourse the store concept is different, but you know what I mean. Even with SDM optimum points et al , they are still way over priced.

I see people buying lots of stuff at full price at SDM , whenever I go there ..& I am like are these guys nuts !

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

It takes a while before my sister start shopping at Target. I think she just assume that since the store looks nicer it's automatically means higher price for the customers. After dragging her there to shop for several times, she start noticing the pricing is not much different from WM, some items are lower in price, some are higher but at much better quality (you get what you paid). Then she became a regular and we would avoid the long lineup at WM. The point is Target hasn't been around long enough for many people to venture in and start shopping there.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Decaf View Post
    I agreed! I mean same with SDM, I'd prefer to shop at the larger store that carry more grocery with freezer section. I find it's a lot easier to spend $50 when grocery is added to the bill. It's hard to spend $50 or more when all you get is personal care items, OTC meds, a little bit of cleaning supply, and packaged / can food. With a decent sale and large grocery section I sometimes forgot that I am actually shopping at a drugstore. I hope SDM would consider a Mega SDM, I mean with Loblaw behinds them I don't see why they can't expand to add fresh produce and more grocery selection.

i hear.. and this is hersay that SDM is planning to do just this.. or atleast testing the market for this-- my source is a friend that works at shoppers... her location is going to be moving into a new building next year (going from a small building to a massive 3 story building that currently has a chapters in it) and when they DO make the move they plan to bring in a sizable grocery section.. or atleast this is what she has been told
    Decaf and toronto166 like this.

Page 23 of 68 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast

Thread Information