User Tag List

Page 9 of 68 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast
Like Tree2503Likes

Thread: Target leaving Canada!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Whoa I guess I did not expect this coming soo soon, it was not doing good, CEO got fired but this is big (actually an end) this morning on the news they mentioned that when a retailers shuts of their operation in one country remember it is not only that retailer who suffers but an entire community/city.

i am dreading the employment rate in this scenario, jobs are tuff to come these days, let's be honest, whether it is full time or part time tuff it is.

once target had started accepting PM electronically they were my to go store for everything ... I would miss them.

this is bad indeed.....
    Anna Michele likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

yes, that' the problem. people have much higher expectation for target than walmat.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightly View Post
    i think peoples expectations were also skewed.. they expected target to be transplanted from the states directly into canada... the same store with the same products with the same price points and they also expected these stores to open with all gears running at full tilt.. that also didn't happen.. these stores opened and had kinks to work out and people didn't seem to like that fact.. i still don't get why people will take crap from walmart over and over again but 1 thing negative about target and it's screaming about boycotting and that the company is evil
    Anna Michele likes this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I used my gift card today, still scored lots of deals & have never seen the store so busy, as in Walmart line ups at cash. The cashier suggested staff have already started to leave.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

My two cents the advertising was terrible, most people I know wouldn't think of going to target to shop, target U.s just assumed everyone knew who they were and that was just not the case, and if you did get someone new in to look around, the bare shelves and lack of certain stock was off putting. I shopped there a lot and loved the store and staff... But I always wondered why there were always so many staff appearing to rearrange shelves so often ... It would seem like I look for something one day then go back in a couple of days only to find it in a completely different spot ?? Was this just my store??
    Anna Michele likes this.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

People keep saying that Target in the US has better prices, but I've never found the prices at Target in the US to be low. I've often commented to my husband while on trips to the US "These things are the same price or more than they are in Canada!" Sure, some sale items are a good price, but certainly not everything! I'm really surprised by American idealism when it comes to retail businesses. I was at a conference in Washington, and was shocked by the number of small "boutiques" that were empty of customers in the hotel complex where we were staying, the shops that were empty of customers in the touristy commercial "village" in the harbour area, and at the number of small shops that seemed the same in the mall area of the Minneapolis St. Paul Airport. All these shops were beautiful and expensively decorated and selling mid-priced merchandise, but it was obvious that they weren't working well, as there was nobody in the stores buying. I have no idea how these companies and business owners put on a happy face, pump money into their businesses, and then sell very little. I guess it seemed like the same thing with Target -- lots of Target identity and optimism and money pumped into stores, but no buyers. In Canada, we seem willing to put up with uglier places to shop, and to be expected to scrabble bit for some decent price (like by bagging our own groceries at Superstore or buying frozen bags of chicken parts at Giant Tiger or putting up with the horror of Wal-Mart on a Saturday) I liked Target's optimism. Their stores aren't depressing, and their exclusive-to-target brands allow people to buy some on-trend items for a decent price. Maybe Canadians didn't feel that they could shop for their regular items at a store so nice?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

That's what I don't get. It's not like when you go to The Bay or Holt Renfrew and sort of walk out and mumbling that "I can't afford anything from the store". I find the price is comparable to WM, plus I like the fact that I am getting 5% off on every purchase plus reward from using CC. Also the merchandise quality is better than WM (clothes, bedding, home decor ect...). You can also use coupon and PM which is always a breeze compare to WM where 9 out of 10 times it's problematic. I swear WM cashiers were train to deter people from using coupons.
    Patty Smyth, Silk, dizzyb and 4 others like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Such a difference from a few months ago...

No Walmart in my area... Costco is the next best choice. Time to get a Mastercard.

Makes me wonder how Nordstrom will survive when they open in the old Eaton/Sears Vancouver location.
    Last edited by xlxo; Fri, Jan 16th, 2015 at 11:42 PM.
    Anna Michele likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    49 (100%)

It has been interesting reading this thread...I for one am really sad that Target is leaving. I am shocked at the amount of money they have lost and sad for the employees who will be out of jobs. I went in there today to check clearance out and pick up some cold medicine for my husband. I was so surprised to see how many people were in the store! It was packed (more so than Boxing week!) and I could tell they were not frequent shoppers of Target. Yes, I agree with those that argue that stock was not always available, shelves were bare, etc. but that didn't happen to me often and they did offer rain checks. I LOVED how it was so clean and the staff were so friendly (sometimes too friendly lol), customer service was always awesome (the customer was always right and they always wanted to please), merchandise is great (clothing lines, etc.), great clearance and more. I will really miss the store! Although on a positive note, now I will have more time on my hands (I always get lost in Target and visit often).
    Silk, lilo0003, Decaf and 2 others like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    16 (100%)

This such bad news. I didn't shop at Target as often as I would have liked because it was too far of a drive for day-to-day shopping. But when I did go, it was a mix of bad and good. The bad: almost every time I went to get a sale, there were no items left. I could get a rain check, but it's such a long drive just to make a special trip. The good things were the clearance sales ($0.31 nail polish!) and the staff were usually nice and the there were almost never a line up. I remember chatting to the staff member at the customer service desk when buying free Breyers and she was telling me that she got the same deal the day before. You'll never get a conversation like that at Walmart!

Bye Target! I'll miss you! Sorry we didn't get to hang out more!

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

So bad first Target was coming and now Target is leaving and I never have chance to visit a Target.
    Anna Michele likes this.
    Need a cheap but still reliable phone plan. Try Public Mobile. Plans starting from $15 ($13 with auto payment).
    Use code R8NLM8 or link when activate with Public Mobile and we both will get $10 bonus.
    Win some extra cash or gift cards. Try Swagbucks... ww.swagbucks.com/refer/uanoor

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just a small update that I received..

My girlfriend's coworker's husband owns one of the Targets in Brampton... Anyways, a day before the news broke out, he was set to open his own store in a different location.. When the news broke out he was completely blind sided about it all...

Apparently now all Store owners/General Managers are out of their jobs come Monday and all the lower staff will be running the entire liquidation process.

So for the people that still work there good for you... the managers don't even get to go back on Monday.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 17th, 2015 at 02:25 PM.

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

That's enough guys. I may be on mat leave, but I'm a price accuracy team leader at Target. Lecale your speculative posts are as much misinformation as flash67s, so everyone take it easy please and keep this friendly.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 17th, 2015 at 11:42 AM.
    FreeIsMyFavourite likes this.

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    Ann they have already posted this information on the web officially from Target and filed this information in court

It is not speculation it is Target's stated intent.
    Lecale I am not talking about that. I am talking about other posts you have made. You have something to say about everything like you need to have the last word. I am aware of all the communications thank you and do not require you to brief me on anything.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Page 9 of 68 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast

Thread Information