User Tag List

Page 48 of 68 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 ... LastLast
Like Tree2503Likes

Thread: Target leaving Canada!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by LisaLisaBoBisa View Post
    I don't know who is saying zellers was "great".. It was a nightmare to shop at and I've said so many times. I merely said that the "sell" to the public was that another brand was going to come in and takeover what was known to be crappy shopping experience and now, here we are - still stuck with what? Walmart? I loved target shopping and am really going to miss it.. I'd rather petition for "no walmart" shopping and maybe walmart would clean it up a little.. It's filthy there..

P.S. Last comment off topic.. My local walmart the cashiers were latex gloves .. I don't know why but it doesn't make things feel healthy..
    Unfortunately read any comment thread and you will see people saying to bring back Zellers. No thanks.

You might be right. It was the perception of many people that it was a buyout or take over. Not true and can be easily proven by the fact HBC still has Zellers open. If Target had actually taken the business over they would own everything including the name.

Seriously? Latex gloves? Since I have an allergy that would not be ok.

[vbp_tr_most_helpful_today]
    Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SillyLoocie View Post
    Remember we are talking about people. They are not all being handed a 16 week cheque when the doors close for the final time. Very few people will see their severance paid out that way. My son will probably get 2 weeks pay. ( He has been there just going on 2 years).

Target owes so much money. For instance, they stiffed Chapman's Ice Cream for thousands of dollars & who knows how many other suppliers are owed money.

I have the inkling that as this fiasco unfolds we are going to learn even more about sneaky closemouthed goings on. There has to be more to this story.

I wish all the Target employees the Luck of the Irish when it comes to getting re-established in a new line of work or that pesky business of retail.

Out of curiosity why is this a Zeller's-Target war & how do the lowly employees fit into the scenario?

It was so much more simple when you either shopped at Simpson's or Eaton's.

Have a brilliant kind of day everyone & keep the faith.

Yes unfortunately no one will be handed a cheque for 16 weeks pay when the doors close. If the store you are working at closes two weeks before may 16th, then yes you will get two weeks of your average pay. There is no lump sum pay at all like they made it sound. And actually they are just doing what is required. Any company who fires more than 500 employees is required to give 16 weeks notice.

On another note, I really miss Eaton's!

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by solace76 View Post
    I don't know about everyone but I have a friend who works in the electronics section and he loves it at WM. Shocked the heck out of me.
    There are staff at mine who like it too, their managers are flexible on hours which allows them to work when family can provide childcare. WM doesn't make their staff stand in a circle holding hands for a daily meeting like my local Zellers did
    SillyLoocie likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by renegado View Post
    Yes?

Until a few weeks ago, Walmartians weren't shopping at Target. Outside of a few locations maybe, Target had failed to be a serious competitor for Walmart. Walmart's actual competitors will still be around after Target is gone.

Anyway, keeping Walmart's prices from rising seems like a strange reason for wanting Target to stay in Canada. Keep Walmart Cheap! Save Target!
    You do not get it, do you? Why would Walmart raise prices when Target's gone? Because they will be the only real one-stop-shop around in Canada (yes, we have RCSS and SD but they on average are more expensive). In other words, the cost to buy "everyday essentials" would be much more expensive from now on! In the past before Target came to Canada, Zellers was the alternate option to Walmart; and although most people are not aware of this, their prices were pretty comparable to Walmart.

As you can see, with Target gone, Walmart will be the only one-stop shop store around, and due to the monopoly, they can raise their prices at will.
    So the better phrase is:Save Target, keep everyday essentials affordable!
    SillyLoocie and Midnightly like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by generalB1B View Post
    You do not get it, do you? Why would Walmart raise prices when Target's gone? Because they will be the only real one-stop-shop around in Canada (yes, we have RCSS and SD but they on average are more expensive). In other words, the cost to buy "everyday essentials" would be much more expensive from now on! In the past before Target came to Canada, Zellers was the alternate option to Walmart; and although most people are not aware of this, their prices were pretty comparable to Walmart.

As you can see, with Target gone, Walmart will be the only one-stop shop store around, and due to the monopoly, they can raise their prices at will.
    So the better phrase is:Save Target, keep everyday essentials affordable!
    I've always found Superstore to be comparable in price to Walmart(not on clothing unless they're on clearance but I would never buy Walmart's crappy clothing anyway), and they'll price match. There's obviously less variety for decor/bedding/textiles but again that's not something I would personally buy at Walmart anyway(I look for quality not price, as it's not saving me money to buy something cheap that gets worn out quickly and needs to be replaced multiple times).
    Walmart is not as cheap as everyone makes it out to be.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by LisaLisaBoBisa View Post
    I don't know who is saying zellers was "great".. It was a nightmare to shop at and I've said so many times. I merely said that the "sell" to the public was that another brand was going to come in and takeover what was known to be crappy shopping experience and now, here we are - still stuck with what? Walmart? I loved target shopping and am really going to miss it.. I'd rather petition for "no walmart" shopping and maybe walmart would clean it up a little.. It's filthy there..

P.S. Last comment off topic.. My local walmart the cashiers wear latex gloves .. I don't know why but it doesn't make things feel healthy..

the gloves could be because some receipt paper contains BPA i believe.
    SillyLoocie, hijinx25 and d.ot like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by annedougherty View Post
    Yes unfortunately no one will be handed a cheque for 16 weeks pay when the doors close. If the store you are working at closes two weeks before may 16th, then yes you will get two weeks of your average pay. There is no lump sum pay at all like they made it sound. And actually they are just doing what is required. Any company who fires more than 500 employees is required to give 16 weeks notice.

On another note, I really miss Eaton's!
    I miss Eatons too! When they were closing I bought a partial roll of royal blue wrapping,paper for $10. It is the kind stores use when they do gift wrapping so it was a huge roll. I have wrapped so many gifts over the years with that paper and it is still going. It is a big joke in our family as I don't have to buy cards,or put tags on cause everyone knows who the gift is from. I have used it,to wrap strollers and car seats and tons of other huge gifts. When I was trying to figure out out how to hang a series of pictures I used them as a template to tape on the wall. Everyone is still amazed that this roll,of,paper is still going! $10 well spent....course I am sick of it after so many years! Lol

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Fallenpixels... really?!? Staff meetings standing around holding hands at Zellers... woooooo weeeeee that is wacky tabacky stuff. lol. What was that about?
    Last edited by couponingtosurvive; Mon, Feb 9th, 2015 at 05:30 PM.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by couponingtosurvive View Post
    Fallenpixels... really?!? Staff meetings standing around holding hands at Zellers... woooooo weeeeee that is wacky tabacky stuff. lol. What was that about?
    Yup they had to stand in a circle and recite some store motto type thing. It was ridiculous and if you were trying to shop when it was going on, really uncomfortable and they were blocking areas/no cash open
    toronto166 likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CouponAddict81 View Post
    the gloves could be because some receipt paper contains BPA i believe.
    And also because money is dirrrty!
    That stuff goes through so many hands (and probably many other icky places), I'd definitely be wearing something on my hands too
    Patty Smyth likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    Yup they had to stand in a circle and recite some store motto type thing. It was ridiculous and if you were trying to shop when it was going on, really uncomfortable and they were blocking areas/no cash open
    im assuming you've never been around for a "Target Huddle" then….mind you, there is no hand holding, but there is a circle followed by a loud chant of some sort depending on store haha….
    Patty Smyth likes this.

Dealigator
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by generalB1B View Post
    You do not get it, do you?

... [W]ith Target gone, Walmart will be the only one-stop shop store around, and due to the monopoly, they can raise their prices at will.
    Sadly, I do get it, General. The "strong rumours" you have heard are not based in reality. Walmart is not going to celebrate Target's failure by pricing itself out of the market. Target simply wasn't a significant competitor.

Petitions aren't going to keep Target in Canada. But have you thought about a Kickstarter campaign? If it raised around $5 billion, there might be some hope.
    anisa, toronto166 and vw_girl like this.
    Abuse coupons, not people!

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by renegado View Post
    Sadly, I do get it, General. The "strong rumours" you have heard are not based in reality. Walmart is not going to celebrate Target's failure by pricing itself out of the market. Target simply wasn't a significant competitor.

Petitions aren't going to keep Target in Canada. But have you thought about a Kickstarter campaign? If it raised around $5 billion, there might be some hope.

pricing themselves out of the market.. no.. but going up 10-30% i believe (not everything full across the board.. but a good number of items.. and their "sales" won't be as low)
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa Winter View Post
    im assuming you've never been around for a "Target Huddle" then….mind you, there is no hand holding, but there is a circle followed by a loud chant of some sort depending on store haha….
    I have seen them at Queenston but the Zellers one was just weird.
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightly View Post
    pricing themselves out of the market.. no.. but going up 10-30% i believe (not everything full across the board.. but a good number of items.. and their "sales" won't be as low)
    Personally I have found that WM has increased prices with Target here. I used to shop there more but over the last year I price matched a lot more. I think prices are generally going up. It was widely in the news that we would see increases in groceries etc this year
    ~ ~ ~

Page 48 of 68 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 ... LastLast

Thread Information