Thread: Target leaving Canada!

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Rad thread

Still keeping the faith SillyLoocie's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I guess Target's trek into Canada will go down as one of the biggest retail catastrophes-blunders-fumbles-botches-mismanaged non-endeavours in retail history. They dropped the ball even before the paint was dry & the sign was up.

They leave - 133 stores close - 17,500 people are out of work . I hope that the process of getting EI in the interim is not a ridiculous & long process. I don't know if they have any provisions for massive cross country lay offs like this....Somehow I doubt it very much.

Good luck to all the people who are going to be looking for work. I really hope that they do
    not meet with disappointment & frustration. Keep on trying & keep the faith.

Trading Score
    45 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SillyLoocie View Post
    I guess Target's trek into Canada will go down as one of the biggest retail catastrophes-blunders-fumbles-botches-mismanaged non-endeavours in retail history. They dropped the ball even before the paint was dry & the sign was up.

They leave - 133 stores close - 17,500 people are out of work . I hope that the process of getting EI in the interim is not a ridiculous & long process. I don't know if they have any provisions for massive cross country lay offs like this....Somehow I doubt it very much.

Good luck to all the people who are going to be looking for work. I really hope that they do
    not meet with disappointment & frustration. Keep on trying & keep the faith.

Mass layoffs such as this are usually prioritized. They are usually given a code that they are to include on their application. I been through this before, although it was many years ago. The part that is gonna hurt the former target employees is their severance that they receive. The government accounts for that as income, which calculates into weeks, which is how long their claim will be before it's actually starts, in which they will then have their 2 week waiting period. I hope it goes smoothly for them.
    Join GROUPON for incredible deals, click here

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Just wondering if anyone knows if we still can get the "cash back Target GC" from Target mastercard in a form of "other giftcard"?
    SillyLoocie likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by maddie2008 View Post
    Mass layoffs such as this are usually prioritized. They are usually given a code that they are to include on their application. I been through this before, although it was many years ago. The part that is gonna hurt the former target employees is their severance that they receive. The government accounts for that as income, which calculates into weeks, which is how long their claim will be before it's actually starts, in which they will then have their 2 week waiting period. I hope it goes smoothly for them.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/01...n_6556442.html
    Last edited by kerrylj; Wed, Mar 18th, 2015 at 09:52 PM.
    Swagbucks- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2teens

Carrot Rewards Promo Code: kerryj6770

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

SillyLoocie likes this.

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by maddie2008 View Post
    It is not severance. It is a salary continuance. Meaning, the hours paid out are EI insurable, which will actually HELP some people meet the required number of hours to qualify for EI. Also, just to clarify again, it is only those whose stores close prior to May 16th who will continue to be paid until May 16th. Those working until May 16th, simply receive their pay until May 16th, nothing after.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Still keeping the faith SillyLoocie's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by annedougherty View Post
    It is not severance. It is a salary continuance. Meaning, the hours paid out are EI insurable, which will actually HELP some people meet the required number of hours to qualify for EI. Also, just to clarify again, it is only those whose stores close prior to May 16th who will continue to be paid until May 16th. Those working until May 16th, simply receive their pay until May 16th, nothing after.
    You have explained it perfectly. That is exactly how it works. So far the store where my son works remains open & he tells me they have lots of stock slated to go out onto the sales floor. I think he is almost looking forward to the day this is over and done with.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Was at Ancaster Target today and was told 10 days til they close. They have a sign up now too saying 10 days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

The Angrignon store had a sign up closing April 1

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

List here (being updated as others post closings) http://smartcanucks.ca/target-canada...ose-april-1-4/
    If your store has closing signs up (not closing tomorrow, we confirmed those ones) please let me know so I can add to the list
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

There is like no stock left at my store.. I don't think i'll go back
    Anna Michele likes this.
    Search and earn rewards today
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/newbieams

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

All stores in Ottawa!?!?! Why couldn't they let us have just one for a little longer so sad now!!!!
    Anna Michele and TargetMama like this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

both Courtney and Nanaimo are both on the list.. but i hear both stores are filled with stock.. while both victoria stores are very lacking for stock (i wonder if they are going to ship stuff down the island)
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Hard to believe this is all winding down. It seems just yesterday we were anticipating store opening announcements
    The Zellers smear campaigns, the heated debates on the Target FB page, oh good times.
    Anna Michele and vw_girl like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Page 61 of 68 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 ... LastLast

Thread Information