User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: ??? What to do with old textbooks???

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Does anyone know what to do with old textbooks? They are way too old to be traded at the University, and short of attempting to sell them in a garage sale (which why oh why would anyone want an old textbook on introductory occupational health nursiing ), I don't know if I should attempt a used book store? Or can I just toss them in a blue bag for recycling? I am attempting to clean out our house, and I just have to get rid of some stuff. I haven't looked at these for at least 10 years.
    This thread is currently associated with: Garage

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

lol, second hand book store? Kijiji? not sure other then that, if you dont want to bother then just throw them in your bluebag for recycling.
    moefox

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I had the same question a couple years ago with my textbooks collecting dust.

My local library takes all used books (except Encyclopedias) and put them on their Used Book Shelf that the library uses as Fundraiser.

I also called my local College Library and they have a free table where they place used books for staff and students.

School Libraries also take book donations if you think any of the text books would be of interest to a High School.

EdmontonSaver EdmontonChristine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    35 (100%)

If the textbooks you have are still in circulation I would sell them on kijiji. I used to buy books on there for school, since there pretty expensive new or used at the schools for that matter

Trading Score
    232 (100%)

I was in the same situation a few years ago and did a lot of research, trying to follow the reduce, re-use, recycle priority chain. Most charities won't accept textbooks, but I called around and learned that the Africa We Care charity welcomes used textbooks, which they ship overseas. They're located at 17806-107 Avenue, but are only open during certains hours - best to call first.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywise View Post
    I was in the same situation a few years ago and did a lot of research, trying to follow the reduce, re-use, recycle priority chain. Most charities won't accept textbooks, but I called around and learned that the Africa We Care charity welcomes used textbooks, which they ship overseas. They're located at 17806-107 Avenue, but are only open during certains hours - best to call first.
    What a good idea...thanks!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

great ideas!
    moefox

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Well...I just spoke with the Director at Africa we Care and they will not accept my textbooks because they are older than 5 years , so I guess I will call my library and see if they will accept them??

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Talked to my library and they won't take them either...I never thought trying to get rid of an old textbook would be such a hassle!

Anyways, they told me to go to BPCO: (from library website)
    RECYCLING – BOOKS
    3703 – 101 Avenue
    Edmonton, AB
    Phone: 440-7333

Books are recycled into shingles. Paid for by weight. Also take newspapers, cardboard, mixed paper.

Not that I have a bunch of books that I will get lots of money for, but its something to pass on!

mhk
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Value Village, Bissell Centre or Mennonite Thrift store? I give mine at the store next to Value Village - its called the Discount Thrift Store - 163 St and 95 Ave in the West End. There is also one on 50th Street and 129ish Ave in the NE.

Sometimes they sell books for 10 for a dollar even - so if someone really needs reference material, they can always use them. I like donating to the Bissell Centre Thrift store too - 8818 118 Ave, and the Mennonite Thrift Store - Stony Plain Road and about 153ish Street? -Its across from the IGA.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

i actually wrote up a flyer listing the books i had and what course they were from and put said list on the board at the college ... even tho they are older some students want a rip book (one they can highlight and cut pictures out of to help study) ... sold all my old massage therapy books for $20 a year ago ... worst case scenario blue bag em ... no sense hoarding them for any longer (i'm not one to talk i kept mine for 10 yrs too, and i didn't even stick with that course )

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi,

Maybe try listing here: http://www.locazU.com – free, much more searchable and user-friendly. There is also a feature to setup a wishlist of any books students need for the next term with a maximum price they are willing to pay. As soon as the books become available, they’ll be alerted, and you may have a better chance of selling your books. It worked for me!

Good luck!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Goodwill!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Nope Goodwill not take them or our local one would not. They told us to drop them in the blue bin.

I think reusing them as shingles is the most likely end..

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I like that shingle idea too..what a great thread, as my textbooks from several years ago are also collecting dust!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information