User Tag List

Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
Like Tree5977Likes

Thread: Love the Savings Feburary - 2015 Frugal chatter

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Found them

2015 goals-

-plan and save for irregular monthly expenses (e.g. school supplies in August) Progress - have modified monthly budget spreadsheet to allow for these expenses to show on a monthly basis, next: plan for them in advance...I will get there, hopefully by the end of 2015. New goal: pay off deficit first, can't save with debt payments.

-plan and save for a mini-van Progress - bought mini-van, lol. I guess that is a step in the right direction. New goal, pay off balance of van on LOC.

-execute another renovation project with savings like the shed Progress - we have the project areas narrowed down, still not fully decided. This is now dependent on a) accomplishment of the revised goals above and b) a tax return.

Try to check in more in the new year...I am more frugal when I chat here! Progress - yes!!! Cost to me - free!!!
    Last edited by Granger; Sun, Feb 1st, 2015 at 04:13 PM.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Kudos to you Granger for getting right on top of things! J and C had mentioned on another thread that they had done a room reno without any borrowed funds-which made me think our grandparents and likely many of our parents always did things that way. Saved until they could afford it-except for a mortgage and perhaps a new car or I know my parents always bought used vehicles when we were young because with 5 kids they could not afford new. Car loans it seems used to be 3 years and then 5 and now sometimes 7. Our whole world has changed with the advent of credit cards and lines of credit etc. Any of us who are able to get off this hamster wheel of borrowing before we buy rather than saving before we buy will be so much better off in the long run. I even remember a few years ago when DH and I bought a new car with cash in hand, they would give us a better price if we jumped through their hoops and borrowed the money-which we then pd back a couple of days later-crazy world we live in sometimes!
    Last edited by lizzie bargain; Sun, Feb 1st, 2015 at 04:15 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    FBM-where are you off to? Or have you decided yet? DH and I have decided to start looking for a new car tomorrow but who knows if/when we will buy one-we all know the trick is to buy one before the current one gets into major repairs but who can predict when that will be-could be tomorrow or in 3 years!
    Myrtle Beach! Family has a house there this winter so we planning to go in March for a week. Didn't need passports for kids when we flew out of Buffalo but my oldest will be past the age of being able to cross border now so he needs one. Then I'm thinking Cuba in December with kids.
    Last edited by Frugalbigmama; Sun, Feb 1st, 2015 at 04:33 PM.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

We bought a new to us car. 6 years old. There is such a huge price jump between 5 years old and 6 years old, with DH being handy in the garage it is worth it for us. I hate the hamster wheel!!! I want off, lol! We try not to have any debt outside our mortgage. Our car blew and we hadn't finished saving. :S Sometimes life hands you surprises. We have our LOC for these types of emergencies. The fact that we can pay it off when we want (aka as fast as possible) is what makes it the best solution for our family.

Car prices are good right now...good luck in your own search @lizzie bargain ! @Frugalbigmama Myrtle Beach!!! I am enjoying the vacation vicariously already!
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-well battling a fever -got to see daughter today my hubby treated her to late lunch at5 guy
    -then she decided to get on the road with her hubby and cut his plans short t a friends to get home to Toronto before it gets dark and visibility is worse

-my feb goals -try to bring in abit of extra cash like kjiji or checkout51 just cashed out at 31.50 today
    -hubby keeps picking up extra shifts
    -use up whats in the freezer
    Last edited by coupon girl; Sun, Feb 1st, 2015 at 05:50 PM.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

A lady in the UK survived on $1.25/day (80 pence)
    menu
    Day one
    Breakfast - wholemeal toast with butter and a banana
    Lunch - rice salad with onion and carrot
    Dinner - carrot, potato and onion soup
    Day two
    Lunch - carrot, potato and onion soup
    Dinner - rice salad with onion and carrot and mushrooms gathered on a walk
    Day three
    Breakfast - two slices of wholemeal toast with butter, and a banana
    Dinner - carrot, potato and onion soup with slice of fried bread (fried in butter)
    Day four
    Lunch - plain jacket potato
    Dinner - omelette packed with onion, spinach and cabbage and a slice of fried bread
    Day five
    Dinner - potato cakes with onion and carrot and a poached egg
    Day six
    Brunch - two slices of toast, two potato cakes and a poached egg
    Dinner - potato cakes with steamed cabbage, carrots and spinach
    Supper - piece of toast with a potato cake
    Day seven
    Breakfast - two slices of toast, two potato cakes and a potato cake
    Lunch - pork pie
    Dinner - steamed cabbage, spinach and carrots bubble and squeak

Last edited by Shwa Girl; Sun, Feb 1st, 2015 at 06:42 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Amazing menu but does not sound like much fun long term!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    A lady in the UK survived on $1.25/day (80 pence)
    menu

and a UK lawyer survives on 1 pound per day
    When lawyer Alice Biggar made her new year's resolutions, it wasn't to give up alcohol or go to the gym more.

Instead the 26-year-old took on a challenge that would see her living off recycled butcher's bones, foraging for wild berries and eating food destined for the supermarket bin in her hometown of Southampton.

Miss Biggar decided to live below the poverty line for a month, and has challenged herself to live on £1 a day throughout January.
    the lawyer's menu
    Day 1- Breakfast: cornflakes + office milk

Lunch: warburton thins + pate

Dinner: lasagne (40p) + cucumber (7p)

Treat: few slabs of value choc (35p for bar) + live oyster (8p)

Day 2 - Breakfast: porridge + water

Lunch: frozen toast from week 1 with 'Brussels pate' + 3 remaining fish fingers

Dinner: fresh egg noodles (10p) + value sweet and sour (30p) + broccoli (10p)

Treat: reduced doughnuts x 2

Day 3 - Breakfast: cornflakes (30p) + value yoghurt

Lunch: burns night – haggis (£1) potatoes (15p) parsnips (4p) swede, leeks carrots (15p)

Dinner: leftover sweet n sour noodles

Miss Biggar said own brand soups have helped her feed herself within the tight budget she set

Treat: reduced doughnuts x 1

Day 4 - Breakfast: porridge + office milk

Lunch: skeleton soup + no bread

Dinner: parsnip (4p reduced) made into roasted chips and chilli (tinned)

Treat: apple, chocolate buttons

Day 5 - Breakfast: 30g of coco snaps + milk

Lunch: Vegetable soup and out of date pitta

Dinner: Spag bol (tinned)

Treat: Value onion rings

Day 6 - Breakfast: 30g of coco snaps + office milk

Lunch: Tin of questionable chicken soup + 1 pitta

Dinner: spaghetti hoops on toast

Day 7 - Breakfast: 30g of coco snaps + office milk

Lunch: Tin of tomato soup + 1 pitta

Dinner: 250g penne pasta + half carton passata + two onions + four hotdogs + black pepper borrowed from housemate’s cupboard

Andit, Crochetlady, Ciel and 2 others like this.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

yikes, no snacks. etc. i'll. pass.

well it seems were getting 'er as predicted.. pretty good chance the city will shut down..
    either way im getting my hair cut. she's a block away.
    my son is over clearing moms driveway.

anyway. finishing a project. i've taken it apart another 2x today. however the last one was a good thing. i was making it too hard on myself.
    all well gotta learn somehow.
    i'll think about goals tomorrow.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    -well battling a fever -got to see daughter today my hubby treated her to late lunch at5 guy
    -then she decided to get on the road with her hubby and cut his plans short t a friends to get home to Toronto before it gets dark and visibility is worse

-my feb goals -try to bring in abit of extra cash like kjiji or checkout51 just cashed out at 31.50 today
    -hubby keeps picking up extra shifts
    -use up whats in the freezer
    hope you feel better, there is definitely something being passed around my house as well - rest while you can and take it easy
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Kudos to you Granger for getting right on top of things! J and C had mentioned on another thread that they had done a room reno without any borrowed funds-which made me think our grandparents and likely many of our parents always did things that way. Saved until they could afford it-except for a mortgage and perhaps a new car or I know my parents always bought used vehicles when we were young because with 5 kids they could not afford new. Car loans it seems used to be 3 years and then 5 and now sometimes 7. Our whole world has changed with the advent of credit cards and lines of credit etc. Any of us who are able to get off this hamster wheel of borrowing before we buy rather than saving before we buy will be so much better off in the long run. I even remember a few years ago when DH and I bought a new car with cash in hand, they would give us a better price if we jumped through their hoops and borrowed the money-which we then pd back a couple of days later-crazy world we live in sometimes!
    exactly @lizzie bargain , we have taken a step back and are living within our means and saving up until we have enough to purchase the items for the renovation or whatever else, it makes sense and it gives us pride to know that things get done in time and affordably without debt

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    and a UK lawyer survives on 1 pound per day

[/LEFT]
    the lawyer's menu
    this 1 sounds much tastier than the other and has snacks @MrsSunshine
    Last edited by jasperandchar; Sun, Feb 1st, 2015 at 08:28 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

February goals are to keep tracking my expenses to show where money is going!! I got some awesome produce with pink stickers at Independant that will last us the week,so i am very happy about that, mushrooms. peppers, peaches, cantaloupe and two huge cauliflower. I have been wanting to try the cauliflower pizza crust that has been floating around different blogs and pinterest for a while now and I must say it was really really good, definitely will make it again.My husband doesn't' eat wheat so he really enjoyed it and my 17 year old preferred the cauliflower crust to regular.

Still decluttering, I spent a few hours today cleaning my spice cupboard, and it looks great, condensed doubles of items and wiped all spice bottles and cupboard down. I have way too many spices but I love to cook lots of different ethnics so i do use them all!! Going to tackle the pantry this week!!

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

We went out for supper tonight. Not frugal but we hadn`t been out of the house since Tuesday so it felt good to get out. I never eat the whole meal so have leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

hi all.
    I need a bit of time for my goals this month. I need to seriously get $ to debt. pantry is full, and it Is winter.

our washer died last week. so we purchased a new one on Saturday it will be delivered Friday. I am looking forward to the energy saving, and the water savings... and we asked for the delivery charge to be rebated and it was .50.00 saved.

and I savd 7.50 n gas, as I had a coupon for 10cents off per liter.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread Information