User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: What do most of you redeem your $170 worth of points on one transaction?

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

My last redemption was for toilet paper.. I pre-ordered.. I'll probably repeat that when I feel like using more points.
    ROMEO and Ciel like this.
    Be sure to click like and post a brag if you get the deal.. It makes my day!!! Flattery may just get you more deals

Be sure to double check your flyer, points and cashback offers~ YMMV

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by couponkrystal View Post
    Beyond buying things for your family some options are tradings points for gift cards/coupons with other sc members, gifting points to charities, using points for food bank/toy drive items, or as mentioned gifts for others. If you want to spoil yourself I have bought jewelry there and get so many compliments on it. They also have books and magazines and great seasonal items.
    1) Epsom salts-do you know if they can the plain ones or do they have to be one of the scented ones?
    2) Go to town on magazines (make sure your store has the selection and why not throw in some newspapers and map books too?)
    3) Household needs (paper products, gift bags or cards, snacks or OTC remedies) & any mens' products
    4) Visit the clearance section and electronics. If you find that key finder tower with two key fobs, that could be a handy gadget to have.
    ROMEO and Anna Michele like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Lots of interesting suggestions here, thanks! I'll have to try and find this clearance section mentioned a few times. In the 4 SDMs I often frequent, I have never seen such a section. As I guy in my mid-thirties, I only buy toiletries when I have to, and my wife is remarkably low-maintenance, so I've never stepped in the cosmetic aisles

None of the SDMs near my house have produce of fresh food aside from milk and eggs. I'm not sure I'd trust meat from SDM anyways because of low stock turnaround. I had to chuckle about getting $170 worth of toilet paper. I don't think I could fit that much in our car!

I was in SDM yesterday, and I saw that Nikon D3100 with 18-55mm VR lens for $299 again. I was definitely tempted, with the 18,500 points on $75 coupon I also had to use on the difference. But I would get more points on a 20X offer since the difference is $129, so I'll probably wait for that. I seem to get a 20X coupon in my email at least twice a month.

If that doesn't show up, I may just get 170$ of video games. I may need to go to the bigger SDM to find three good ones in stock, but I'll give it a try.

Buying 76kg of Epsom slats may be a bit excessive
    Last edited by therfman; Tue, Feb 3rd, 2015 at 10:21 AM.

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by therfman View Post
    Lots of interesting suggestions here, thanks! I'll have to try and find this clearance section mentioned a few times. In the 4 SDMs I often frequent, I have never seen such a section. As I guy in my mid-thirties, I only buy toiletries when I have to, and my wife is remarkably low-maintenance, so I've never stepped in the cosmetic aisles

None of the SDMs near my house have produce of fresh food aside from milk and eggs. I'm not sure I'd trust meat from SDM anyways because of low stock turnaround. I had to chuckle about getting $170 worth of toilet paper. I don't think I could fit that much in our car!

I was in SDM yesterday, and I saw that Nikon D3100 with 18-55mm VR lens for $299 again. I was definitely tempted, with the 18,500 points on $75 coupon I also had to use on the difference. But I would get more points on a 20X offer since the difference is $129, so I'll probably wait for that. I seem to get a 20X coupon in my email at least twice a month.

If that doesn't show up, I may just get 170$ of video games. I may need to go to the bigger SDM to find three good ones in stock, but I'll give it a try.

Buying 76kg of Epsom slats may be a bit excessive
    If you reallywant the camera there must ve a mega redemption comjng soon after vday im hoping as im anxious ly awaiting it
    ROMEO, engo and amira84 like this.
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Everytime I redeem I try to pick up a few gifts to stash away. DS games, Wii games, toys...whatever they have at the time. That way I'm not spending as much come bdays, easter, xmas etc. The rest get used on whatever we need at the time. I pick up groceries, depending on whats on sale, maybe OTC meds, nighttime diapers, wipes and maybe something for me. But the most important thing to me when redeeming is trying to cover some gifts.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

In reality, I don't "really want" the camera. I already have a very good camera (I do photography as a serious hobby and on rare occasions I sell framed prints). I've just never used a Nikon and I was curious to try one, and it would be a relatively cheap camera to bring into places where I may be afraid to have my really good gear broken or stolen. I can always sell it on Kijiji later if I don't like it.

That being said, there really isn't anything that I "really want" at SDM. It's just rather anti-climactic to have spent time and effort to maximize points for half a year to only to redeem them on something that's so ho-hum (like toilet paper or polysporin) it doesn't feel like a reward.

Maybe I should find a SDM with the expanded food section and try to do as much of my groceries there on points, and then spend my grocery money on a nice bottle of scotch at the LCBO
    ROMEO, Silk, Anna Michele and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

THIS!!! It's exactly my issue.. I have enough for a few top tear redemptions and refuse to buy household items etc. Even still how many bottles of lotion do I need? I can buy those types of things cheaply with sales and coupons elsewhere. Good to know about the camera since we are booked for Europe and could use a camera to take with us. Is there an area online that shows in store electronics or is it hit and miss? I'd like to visit a larger shoppers and see what they have in the way of electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by therfman View Post
    In reality, I don't "really want" the camera. I already have a very good camera (I do photography as a serious hobby and on rare occasions I sell framed prints). I've just never used a Nikon and I was curious to try one, and it would be a relatively cheap camera to bring into places where I may be afraid to have my really good gear broken or stolen. I can always sell it on Kijiji later if I don't like it.

That being said, there really isn't anything that I "really want" at SDM. It's just rather anti-climactic to have spent time and effort to maximize points for half a year to only to redeem them on something that's so ho-hum (like toilet paper or polysporin) it doesn't feel like a reward.

Maybe I should find a SDM with the expanded food section and try to do as much of my groceries there on points, and then spend my grocery money on a nice bottle of scotch at the LCBO
    ROMEO, engo, Anna Michele and 1 others like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Unfortunately, there is no online inventory tracker, and even individual stores cannot lookup inventory in other stores. I have called The 1-800-SHOPPERS line at one point, and they were able to tell me which stores had recently received shipments of certain electronic items, but I had to call each store to see if they had any left in stock.

In the case of the Nikon D3100, it's $379 in most stores, but $299 at one particular location, which is actually not a particularly big location (Prince of Wales and Meadowlands in Ottawa).
    Anna Michele and amira84 like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by LisaLisaBoBisa View Post
    THIS!!! It's exactly my issue.. I have enough for a few top tear redemptions and refuse to buy household items etc. Even still how many bottles of lotion do I need? I can buy those types of things cheaply with sales and coupons elsewhere. Good to know about the camera since we are booked for Europe and could use a camera to take with us. Is there an area online that shows in store electronics or is it hit and miss? I'd like to visit a larger shoppers and see what they have in the way of electronics.
    I'm in a similar situation having enough points for a number of redemptions. I've been redeeming food/household items and feel good when looking at the remaining balance . After hearing the "toothbrushes story", I don't feel secured enough to keep too many points and looking for ways to redeem different items. This is a very helpful thread!

Thanks Anna Michele for the prediction. I'll likely do several redemption if there is a bonus or mega redemption.
    Last edited by engo; Tue, Feb 3rd, 2015 at 01:55 PM.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Michele View Post
    If you reallywant the camera there must ve a mega redemption comjng soon after vday im hoping as im anxious ly awaiting it
    For the last few years, the biggest redemptions have been June and September - 95000 for $220

But this year has been off from previous years, so it's hard to say now.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You know what stresses me out out max redemptions? Not the actual spending but the logistics of the teeny tiny shopping carts!

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  53.9 KB

I usually begin by redeeming for 4 x toilet paper, 4 x milk, and 4 x eggs. That pretty much fills up one cart. I try and park it near the electronics section, flag an employee to let them know it's mine, and hope another employee doesn't re-shelve the products while I'm busy filling up another cart.

Then checking out is another ordeal. Stores are extra busy on bonus redemption days but yet the number of cashiers remain the same. So here I am with two shopping carts, putting items on the counter for the cashier to scan then.... where do I put items? Back in the same cart with items still need to be paid? I bring my own recyclable bags but does the cashier help me pack them? Of course not. I've actually had one cashier tell me to "Hurry up". Biting my tongue, I sweetly replied, "Unless I can suddenly grow some extra arms, this is as fast as I can go".

I know the obvious solution is to bring someone with me to help. I've tried, but the experience isn't much better. I need to be alone so can stay organized with my list, running total, coupons, etc.

One thing that has changed is what I fill my second cart with. Even though the prices are grossly inflated, I am so happy with the expanded grocery sections in some stores. I can get steaks, pork chops, chicken, sushi, exotic cheeses, fresh berries, etc.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  52.6 KB

Name:  2a.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  79.4 KB

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Wow, that's a lot of milk! Do you operate a restaurant or daycare? I may have to call the Shoppers customer service line to see where I can find a store with meat and produce in Ottawa West. I've never seen displays like that in-store and the store locator on the web site doesn't differentiate the locations with meat and produce from the ones that only sell dry goods.

How is the quality of the meat? I've often been disappointed by the meat at Loblaws (compared to my regular butcher shop), so I wouldn't expect too much from a SDM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've also found that specials are often not as good on mega redemption days. For example, the week before Black Friday, SDM has Nintendo 3DS XL handhelds on sale for $129.99 (normally $199.99) and Seagate 2TB backup drives at $59.99 (generally sold for around $99). I redeemed $170 for one of each and paid the small difference. The next week was a mega redemption, but the 3DS XL was now $169.99, and the hard drives were not even available. So sometimes waiting for a mega redemption isn't always the best idea.

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tictacoh View Post
    You know what stresses me out out max redemptions? Not the actual spending but the logistics of the teeny tiny shopping carts!

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  53.9 KB

I usually begin by redeeming for 4 x toilet paper, 4 x milk, and 4 x eggs. That pretty much fills up one cart. I try and park it near the electronics section, flag an employee to let them know it's mine, and hope another employee doesn't re-shelve the products while I'm busy filling up another cart.

Then checking out is another ordeal. Stores are extra busy on bonus redemption days but yet the number of cashiers remain the same. So here I am with two shopping carts, putting items on the counter for the cashier to scan then.... where do I put items? Back in the same cart with items still need to be paid? I bring my own recyclable bags but does the cashier help me pack them? Of course not. I've actually had one cashier tell me to "Hurry up". Biting my tongue, I sweetly replied, "Unless I can suddenly grow some extra arms, this is as fast as I can go".

I know the obvious solution is to bring someone with me to help. I've tried, but the experience isn't much better. I need to be alone so can stay organized with my list, running total, coupons, etc.

One thing that has changed is what I fill my second cart with. Even though the prices are grossly inflated, I am so happy with the expanded grocery sections in some stores. I can get steaks, pork chops, chicken, sushi, exotic cheeses, fresh berries, etc.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  52.6 KB

Name:  2a.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  79.4 KB
    Wow this is waaaaay more produce then ive seen in binbrook they have one or two refrigerated bunkers
    Ticatoh that store is amazing
    amira84 likes this.
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I think I need to start saving up my points. I always get excited when I hit the $10.00 mark and usually redeem it for $10.00 off a box of diapers. I don't shop at shoppers all that often. I am now almost at $30.00 soo I think if I can I will keep saving up, would love to do a redemption around Christmas
    peachies, Anna Michele and amira84 like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information