User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By skippyjon

Thread: best deals on glasses (frames & lenses)

reality is way overrated! skippyjon's Avatar
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Hi All

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend the best most affordable places to buy glasses. I've got a strong prescription and will be buying progressive lenses this time. Turns out those are incredibly expensive. I checked the glasses place attached to my optometrist's office and they quoted me $525 for the lenses alone...

Other threads on SC mention ClearlyContacts as an affordable option. I'm just a bit scared about not being able to try them on, esp because of the progressive lens thing (that's new for me).

$500+ seems like highway robbery to me. Aside from that I don't have that much in coverage so it's not even a possibility for me.

Any suggestions or ideas out there? Thanks everyone!
    This thread is currently associated with: ClearlyContacts.ca
    padyofurniture likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm not from BC, but I bought my progressive lenses & glasses at Loblaw's Optical for $259. They usually have some type of deal going on, but one staff member encouraged me to wait a month as there was the $259 deal (single vision was about $100 less). It applied to all their glasses with a select few that were exempt. I would have had to pay over $600 if I had gotten them without this deal. Maybe they would tell you when/if that type of sale was coming up again.

reality is way overrated! skippyjon's Avatar
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

That sounds pretty good - thanks Padyofurniture! I will check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by padyofurniture View Post
    I'm not from BC, but I bought my progressive lenses & glasses at Loblaw's Optical for $259. They usually have some type of deal going on, but one staff member encouraged me to wait a month as there was the $259 deal (single vision was about $100 less). It applied to all their glasses with a select few that were exempt. I would have had to pay over $600 if I had gotten them without this deal. Maybe they would tell you when/if that type of sale was coming up again.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

If you have Costco membership you should check them out. My sister bought hers from Costco and liked them. I bought from ClearlyContacts before but my prescription is also strong and even with the thinnest lenses they still pretty thick and they don't polish the edges. I do like ClearlyContacts customer services. I have always bought from local stores and the last pair was from Lense Crafters - I do like their new technology where they marked the exact location of your iris etc. but the price was high ~$600/pair

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by skippyjon View Post
    $500+ seems like highway robbery to me. Aside from that I don't have that much in coverage so it's not even a possibility for me.

Any suggestions or ideas out there?
    • I have a weakness for transition coatings and the titanium frames (it's not gold!). Are you going to request the "digital" versions that promises higher optical quality?
    • I generally got glasses every 2 years..... in my mid-forties, I was told I needed new prescriptions every year.
    • The cost gets worse when the whole family needs glasses.
    • Whatever happened to those electronic glasses announced back in 2011? http://www.fastcoexist.com/1678628/e...ommand-updated

Thread Information