User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree467Likes

Thread: Being discriminated for buying food from dollar store!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    Then that might be the manager's individual policy. Did the manager who refused specifically make a remark about food? Store managers are very wary of food returns because they often have to throw the stuff out, so they lose money on food returns. If that manager was giving you are hard time it doesn't necessarily mean it's discrimination. It could be that particular store's policy. This happens everywhere. Some managers are tougher than others and at other stores it has nothing to do with what you purchase, why is that the case here?

Is there something else you forgot to mention, maybe?
    OMG, you are making me pulling my hair out. I said: "I bought some items that I wanted to exchange for pasta" Not the other way around! Their policy is" We will gladly exchange any unopened item with original reciept. We do not offer refunds." This is printed on their receipt. I showed him the receipt!!!!
    Last edited by Freestuffrighthere; Mon, Feb 23rd, 2015 at 01:34 AM.
    dededi likes this.
    GET $5 OFF Herbal and Nutritional Items Coupon Code: XIF785 http://www.iherb.com Low shipping charges to Canada Save about 30-40% Off retail prices. 14,000+Brand-Name Herbal & Nutritional Items Pay No TAX on items!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lyssia510 View Post
    Every dollar store I've been in has signs stating "No refunds no exchanges". That being said I do know of some dollar stores that will do exchanged regardless of the signs but it definitely seems to be at the managers discretion.
    I don't think it's discrimination when he's following corporate policy.
    I am talking about Dollar Tree. Their policy is" We will gladly exchange any unopened item with original reciept. We do not offer refunds." This is printed on their receipt.
    ROMEO and dededi like this.
    GET $5 OFF Herbal and Nutritional Items Coupon Code: XIF785 http://www.iherb.com Low shipping charges to Canada Save about 30-40% Off retail prices. 14,000+Brand-Name Herbal & Nutritional Items Pay No TAX on items!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lyssia510 View Post
    Every dollar store I've been in has signs stating "No refunds no exchanges". That being said I do know of some dollar stores that will do exchanged regardless of the signs but it definitely seems to be at the managers discretion.
    I don't think it's discrimination when he's following corporate policy.
    I am talking about Dollar Tree. Their policy is" We will gladly exchange any unopened item with original reciept. We do not offer refunds." This is printed on their receipt. I showed him the receipt!!!!!
    ROMEO and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i don't think it's a case of discrimination.. there could be many factors, were the items being returned in open packaging, were they purchased within a reasonable timespan (not a months ago) were the items being returned food items? was there a manufacturers defect as a reason for returning? i don't think managers wouldn't discriminate against people who want to buy their products no matter what the product they sell
    Last edited by Midnightly; Mon, Feb 23rd, 2015 at 02:28 AM.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

I think your original post was confusing as you didn't put the info about Dollar tree and their return policy, nor did you state why you think its you personally that they are refusing to honor it for. I've found many think they are being discriminated against and its just not the case.. However, I was at a store once where the people (african american) had to have their $20 bills scanned because the store had received counterfeit bills.. They didn't scan mine though.. so I know it exists, sadly.
    Be sure to click like and post a brag if you get the deal.. It makes my day!!! Flattery may just get you more deals

Be sure to double check your flyer, points and cashback offers~ YMMV

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Freestuffrighthere View Post
    Ok,,, you all missed this part..."I called another branch of the dollar store, and they said they don’t really have a time limit policy on exchanges" This means that they do allow exchanges, it doesn't matter when I do the exchanges, and I did my exchanges at another branh of the dollar store. Which means that the manager was just giving me a hard time!
    Hard time..Maybe..Discrimination..No

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We bought a small toy for our son and it was broken when he opened the package, they would not exchange it for one that was not broken. Store manager was not friendly/helpful at all so I just opened all the packages until I found one that wasn't broken and bought it (they should have exchanged it when it was broken to begin with).

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I'm just laughing at the hair pulling and shouting at the computer screen that I imagine is going on!! ROFLMAO!!!!
    Just call me Wolfie

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwoman View Post
    I'm just laughing at the hair pulling and shouting at the computer screen that I imagine is going on!! ROFLMAO!!!!
    Omg, you had that right . I was already on fire with this dollar tree guy, and came here to vent off the smoke, and then I got all that!!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by peachies View Post
    He gave me a hard time because he discriminated me!!!! Omg, how come you people don't read between the lines? Seems like I am the only one who is reading bewteen the lines????
    Last edited by Freestuffrighthere; Tue, Feb 24th, 2015 at 02:39 AM.
    dededi likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by MillieH View Post
    I think your original post was confusing as you didn't put the info about Dollar tree and their return policy, nor did you state why you think its you personally that they are refusing to honor it for. I've found many think they are being discriminated against and its just not the case.. However, I was at a store once where the people (african american) had to have their $20 bills scanned because the store had received counterfeit bills.. They didn't scan mine though.. so I know it exists, sadly.
    Sorry, I was just so pissed that I couldn't even talk or write straight!
    Last edited by Freestuffrighthere; Tue, Feb 24th, 2015 at 02:41 AM.
    MillieH and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by peachies View Post
    I agree hard time yes because from my knowledge of university law courses discrimination has to be based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion,age,sex,sexual orientation,marital status, and disability. Unless the manager said something in regards to the above for not doing the exchange - the manager was just power tripping.
    Any time I buy anything from any dollar store - if it doesn't work, or damaged - it goes in the garbage not worth the trouble. My time and my sanity it worth more than a few dollars.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Freestuffrighthere View Post
    He gave me a hard time because he discriminated me!!!! Omg, how come you people don't read between the lines? Seems like I am the only one who is reading bewteen the lines????
    I'm sorry but there are not any lines to read between...Did he say anything about your race, ethnicity, sex, disability, anything of this sort? If so, then you failed to mention that. Otherwise, its NOT discrimination.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Forget race, etc. Let's just deal with the actual accusation. What did he say or do that led you to believe that he was discriminating against you for buying food at the dollar store? How do you know it was because of that and not because of any of the other dozens of possible reasons? That's the key piece of information that we're all missing!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by anastasia1009 View Post
    I agree hard time yes because from my knowledge of university law courses discrimination has to be based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion,age,sex,sexual orientation,marital status, and disability. Unless the manager said something in regards to the above for not doing the exchange - the manager was just power tripping.
    Any time I buy anything from any dollar store - if it doesn't work, or damaged - it goes in the garbage not worth the trouble. My time and my sanity it worth more than a few dollars.
    Ok, I think you are following the textbook too closely. The definition of the word "discrimination is action that denies social participation or human rights to categories of people based on prejudice. This includes treatment of an individual or group based on their actual or perceived membership in a certain group or social category, "in a way that is worse than the way people are usually treated"" . What I am saying is that he discriminated me for being poor (buying food from dollar store). Another way of saying it is he categories me into the poor group and treated me worst than what normally people would get treated in a situation like that. Normally, managers would follow the store policy which was they will gladly exchange any unopened items, and no refunds. I met the requirement for exchange, I had my receipt, my items were unopened, but he refused. He came up with the excuse that the store had a policy that exchanges must be within a week which was a lie because I checked with another branch of the store, they said I can do exchanges any time does matter when. I did do the exchange at the other branch. So, my conclusion is, the first store's manager didn't allow the exchange because he did want to based on some prejudice, and the only prejudice I can think of is that I chosed a bag of pasta for exchange. There is nothing else. I didn't know him.
    MillieH and dededi like this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information