User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree467Likes

Thread: Being discriminated for buying food from dollar store!

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

I'm sorry you had this experience
    SharonMe, toronto166 and dededi like this.
    Be sure to click like and post a brag if you get the deal.. It makes my day!!! Flattery may just get you more deals

Be sure to double check your flyer, points and cashback offers~ YMMV

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by abbasgirl View Post
    Forget race, etc. Let's just deal with the actual accusation. What did he say or do that led you to believe that he was discriminating against you for buying food at the dollar store? How do you know it was because of that and not because of any of the other dozens of possible reasons? That's the key piece of information that we're all missing!
    I have been asking myself this question since the very begining, and the only answer that I can come up with is me discriminated me based on choosing that bag of pasta for exchange. I didn't know him personally, nor any of his friends. I wasn't a regular customer, never really chat with him. So, why did he made up a false policy saying that exchanges must be done within a week when I checked with another branch and found out that is a lie? The only thing I can think of is he has a sinister character, and wanted to bully the poor. He had the prejudice that I was poor, and discriminated me and bullied me. When he lied about the policy and refused to do the exchange when I had every right to, that is a form of bullying. I had the right to because there was no policy such as exchanges must be within one week, and I had my receipt and items were unopened. And I confirmed that I had the right because I actually did the exchange at another branch. Why don't you guys see that this guy mistreated me because he had some kind of prejudice against me. This is a form of discrimination. And for what reason he discriminated me? The only one I can think of is that bag of pasta, that I am poor.
    dededi likes this.
    GET $5 OFF Herbal and Nutritional Items Coupon Code: XIF785 http://www.iherb.com Low shipping charges to Canada Save about 30-40% Off retail prices. 14,000+Brand-Name Herbal & Nutritional Items Pay No TAX on items!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by peachies View Post
    I'm sorry but there are not any lines to read between...Did he say anything about your race, ethnicity, sex, disability, anything of this sort? If so, then you failed to mention that. Otherwise, its NOT discrimination.
    No, he didn't say thing. He didn't have to say anything to discriminate me. He can simply do it through his actions. He refused to do the exchange when he knew that I qualified for an exchange! Reading between the lines means infer an unexpressed meaning. If he had say it, then it is expressed, then no longer need to read between the lines.
    toronto166 and dededi like this.
    GET $5 OFF Herbal and Nutritional Items Coupon Code: XIF785 http://www.iherb.com Low shipping charges to Canada Save about 30-40% Off retail prices. 14,000+Brand-Name Herbal & Nutritional Items Pay No TAX on items!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I think here point is they DO allow exchanges its their policy.

But because they wouldn't allow her to exchange the product she bought for a food item, but were OK with her exchanging for some other non food product, she is mad about that.

Maybe the manager's tone , body language , general demeanour towards her when she tried to exchange it for a food item..might have caused the discrimination. Lot of things are non verbal & through actions only, & they are lot of times far worse than verbal things.
    CrazyQT, toronto166 and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i do not see this as discrimination.. the impression i get is that the head company may be lax about the return policy (no solid policy in place just that they do accept returns) but it is up to the individual store (are these stores independently owned?, most dollar stores are) on how firm they are on the policy and how specific they want to be towards it... i do not think that a week is an unreasonable cut off for a dollar store return (considering most dollar stores do not allow any sort of return or exchange)

now i gotta ask.. did they specifically say "no we will not allow you to return this item for pasta" or "no sorry we do not take returns after a week"
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

I have been denied a lot of things in my life. I've been to stores that seem to "Make up" their own policies, cashiers that do the same...as couponers most of us has experienced these type of things. I'm not saying it was right what the manager did, BUT, i also don't see any discrimination. I'm sorry I just don't. I think its just a case of a power tripping manager that likes to make up his own rules.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Freestuffrighthere View Post
    I have been asking myself this question since the very begining, and the only answer that I can come up with is me discriminated me based on choosing that bag of pasta for exchange. I didn't know him personally, nor any of his friends. I wasn't a regular customer, never really chat with him. So, why did he made up a false policy saying that exchanges must be done within a week when I checked with another branch and found out that is a lie? The only thing I can think of is he has a sinister character, and wanted to bully the poor. He had the prejudice that I was poor, and discriminated me and bullied me. When he lied about the policy and refused to do the exchange when I had every right to, that is a form of bullying. I had the right to because there was no policy such as exchanges must be within one week, and I had my receipt and items were unopened. And I confirmed that I had the right because I actually did the exchange at another branch. Why don't you guys see that this guy mistreated me because he had some kind of prejudice against me. This is a form of discrimination. And for what reason he discriminated me? The only one I can think of is that bag of pasta, that I am poor.
    First of all, I realize that it can be upsetting to be turned down at a store. Often it's in front of other people and the employee isn't very nice about it. If you're struggling financially, it can be hard to accept the loss of money as well.
    But what you're doing is attaching a motive to his actions without having any way of knowing whether or not you are correct and the motives you are attaching have made what was an upsetting situation even more upsetting for you.
    There are several possible reasons why the manager didn't allow the exchange. Maybe he's mean to everyone he meets or maybe he doesn't know the policy and didn't want to get in trouble with the owner or maybe he sincerely believed that a week is a reasonable amount of time. Without any words from him that point you in that direction, it makes less sense to assume it was because you are poor. Dollar store employees are at the lowest rung of the ladder themselves.

Trading Score
    60 (100%)

I don't see how that can possibly be considered discrimination in any way, shape or form. Sure the situation sucked, but it's not discrimination.

>>>Tradelist & Wishlist<<<
    |MILK|CHICKEN|ARCTIC GARDENS|CHAPMANS|EUROPES BEST|SYB PINS|OJ|

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

A lot of Dollar Stores don't do exchanges at all. I know at my nearest Dollar Store they will do an exchange if you have bought something that was broken, only an exchange no money back. I had called first because because I was annoyed, everyone I had bought was broken. I know $3.00 is not a lot but sure adds up when you have bought more then one. Manager said okay to exchange went in and cashier said no, luckily the manager was still there. I only tell this story because even within the same store you can get a different response.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

The Dollar Tree stores near me will only exchange for a like product (you bought something in blue but need pink etc in the same item) and only within 7 days
    I can't think of any of them that would allow me to exchange a random item for pasta (they might allow spaghetti for elbow noodles though)

He may have been rude about it, but like the others, I don't see the discrimination, but discrimination is often one of those you have to be there things
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by peachies View Post
    I have been denied a lot of things in my life. I've been to stores that seem to "Make up" their own policies, cashiers that do the same...as couponers most of us has experienced these type of things. I'm not saying it was right what the manager did, BUT, i also don't see any discrimination. I'm sorry I just don't. I think its just a case of a power tripping manager that likes to make up his own rules.
    What I see is discrimination resulted in power tripping. He discriminated me that was why he abused his right as the manager to make my life difficult (power tripping). He could have easily said (in the case of not abused his right as the manager), ok, let her exchange it, she has the receipt and items unopen. You have to ask why he power trip?
    dededi likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Freestuffrighthere View Post
    What I see is discrimination resulted in power tripping. He discriminated me that was why he abused his right as the manager to make my life difficult (power tripping). He could have easily said (in the case of not abused his right as the manager), ok, let her exchange it, she has the receipt and items unopen. You have to ask why he power trip?
    I'm still wracking my brain to understand how he discriminated..you thought he discriminated because you are poor, first of all everyone has a different definition of poor. It's not just *POOR* people that shop at Dollar Tree, reguardless of your's or anyone else's definition of poor. People of all incomes shop there.

Second of all, people power trip all the time, reguardless, not just dollar store managers, customers included. I fail to see how or where the discrimination, or abuse occured nor do I see how he is making your life difficult. I am baffled.. it seems that perhaps you are making issues more difficult then they need to be. I understand situations in life are difficult at times but saying no is not discrimination. As you said, you dont know him, it goes both ways, he does not know you either..does it state on your receipt from that particular store, the specifics of exchanges, refunds, the number of days you have to do it etc.? How long was it in between your shopping trip and the day you went back? Every store is different with different policies. Maybe he thinks you are discriminating against him as well because you call him a power tripper..which may not be the case at all.

So does it make one poor because we use coupons, and buy groceries, pasta included at a cheap price or for free? Are we all being discriminated against because someone may gave us *a look or action*?

My advice is to take a deep breath, not shop in that store anymore and ask yourself why you are so adamant about a *discrimination/abuse* issue when none appears to exist, he did not abuse his right of being a manager, he said no, that is not any kind of legal action for discrimination or abuse.

Best wishes in being able to let your anger go, just take a few deep breaths and remember....we cannot control the actions of others, we can only control our own actions.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    The Dollar Tree stores near me will only exchange for a like product (you bought something in blue but need pink etc in the same item) and only within 7 days
    I can't think of any of them that would allow me to exchange a random item for pasta (they might allow spaghetti for elbow noodles though)
    This is what I don't understand, I've never been to a store where they allowed you to exchanged an item for a completely different one. Are you sure it wasn't just this that was the issue here? Did he say you couldn't buy pasta, only another time similar to what you originally bought?

Could I ask what you originally bought and wanted to exchange for?
    Last edited by GracieAnne; Thu, Feb 26th, 2015 at 12:49 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

My Dad is obsessed with Dollar Stores, shops there all the time..and..believe me he is not poor. Not only poor people shop there. So, how exactly did the manager know you were poor?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

Most stores that exchange do have a time limit on the exchanges so I'm surprised the store you called told you different. Perhaps you could go to that store and make the return.
    It seems that this manager would not exchange the things you bought for anything not just pasta. We all know when managers are power tripping and you're feeling just the way he wants you to feel. Don't give him that power. You're not poor, you're a smart Canuck! Take a deep breath, smile and hold your head high. You my friend are a member of an elite team.
    The best things in life...aren't things

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information