User Tag List

Page 29 of 58 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast
Like Tree5978Likes

Thread: Marching Forward with Frugality & with Savings 2015 frugal chatter

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saundyl View Post
    Qotd.

What are your favourite frugal entertainment actives or even frugal snacks?
    1. Borrowing dvds from the library for free

2. During the summer the local general store has a book shelf outside, I stock up on novels over the summer and that is my frugal past time before bed - reading

3. in the spring summer, we make camp fires outside and roast hotdogs and enjoy each others company, the wood is free as we have 61 acres

4. I got the boys a 2nd hand vintage looking popcorn maker for Valentine's day that is our frugal snack, we have the popcorn toppings to make the popcorn a little tastier'

Now I'm interested to hear everyone else's frugal snacks
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-our frugal entertainment activities -my son let us watch a movie we handnt seen at his house last night when we babysat
    -my frugal activity is for sure the library- dont want to buy a new printer as we don't have kids at home so I go the library allowed 2 free prints a days -mind you today I did 3 so paid .10 for the one which gave me 500 extra hbc points as i bought my ottoman there (oh and my ottoman has a dual purpose small storage - i can put my flyers in there now
    -another frugal activity -walking down at the beach
    -babysitting our granddaughter last night -its free and shes is amusing and fun
    walking around craft fairs -like when we went to kitchener one day -sat okay you have to pay for gas to get there but still frugal ad fun
    -for myself another frugal entertainment -this may seem funny -but always look for clearance deals or signs

-frugal snacks -hummm anything chocolate I like(okay that not frugal just wanted to throw it in ) -making my own peanut butter cookies -or oatmeal raisin
    -here a frugal snack my son just made the other day "ashlyn:" loves these treats -gerber fruit snacks -like little drops of yogurt -well they are expensive so on his day off he made frozen yogurt drops for her on a cookie sheet -then he froze blueberries dipped in yogurt on a cookie sheet for her -it helps her sore gums too -I had a frozen blueberry with yogurt was yummy -so I am proud of him trying to save a bit
    Last edited by coupon girl; Sat, Mar 14th, 2015 at 09:03 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I agree with J and C that popcorn would be one of our frugal snacks. Homebaking as well-the current favourite for all 3 of us is homemade bran muffins-not terribly exciting but we all like them. I can't say entertainment is high on our list-usually getting together with friends or family, playing a game of Scrabble, watching a movie at home, reading or going out for a walk. Oh then of course there is the teen-movies, Starbucks, concerts etc are all big on her list but have to come out of her budget!

I would say I mostly save the entertainment/eating out budget for vacations-so in Hawaii next week we will swim with the dolphins, go to Pearl Harbour etc and certainly eat out way more than at home. Brekkie is included in our room, we will eat lunch out and then hit the grocery store for simple dinner items we can keep in our room fridge and can also heat in the microwave or toaster oven in the lobby. We may go out for one special buffet type dinner instead of a lunch one day but you certainly won't find us in a high end restaurant every night! I would rather spend my entertainment money on things we can't do at home-whale watching would be pretty tough in Calgary!

Speaking of vacations I have finally managed to arrange a house exchange with a couple on Vancouver Island for 10 days in the summer so we look forward to that-other than gas to drive there and the ferry toll it is quite a cheap way to vacation. Like to be able to cook and do our laundry when we are away if possible

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

One more thought about our frugal tips to each other-the other day we talked about tipping and that we don't normally tip for takeout-usually for delivery and when eating in. I was also reflecting that we do have to pay tax on takeout food which varies by province- but by cooking at home( except for special occasions) you are saving a minimum of 5%(GST) on your food. I treated our family to two, what I consider very frugal, grocery deli takeout meals in this past week (which is unusual for us). One meal was 2 takeout chicken pot pies from Sobey's with free parfait's for dessert-cost was $10 but free because I cashed in airmiles-but I still had to pay 50 cents to the govt for GST because I was too lazy to cook. The second one was a BBQ chicken and salad for $10 at Co-op-no coupons so pd $10.50 including GST. I know I only paid $1.00 in tax but if I was eating out frequently I would be paying quite a bit for tips and taxes on my food and drinks. Of course as you all know I love to travel so I eventually spend all that tip, tax and entertainment $ on a trip which I enjoy way more!

Anyway I am all for occasional meal treats and for skipping cooking some nights, but had not really thought about the cost of tax, especially for those in more highly taxed provinces. At least we can all still buy and prep our own food without paying tax, except on convenience and junk food.

One of my other pet peeves which I forgot to mention in my previous frugal post is that I hate to pay for parking-seems like such a waste of money somehow to me. Usually I will get DH to drop me off( or vice versa) or hop the train downtown to do an occasional errand( $3 vs $10 or more for parking plus the hassle of finding it)- Mostly I avoid downtown unless I have to go for some reason. Just something I hate to pay for unless absolutely necessary! On the other hand if we were picking up good friends or family at the airport I would happily pay for the parking as we would appreciate the time and money it took for them to come and visit us!

I was also happy to get my daughter's best friend an admission ticket as a guest for our Big Band Cabaret last night( it included her dinner and entertainment) and was a fundraiser for the band program. I took each of the triplets a sticker book when we visited today and enjoyed doing them with the boys and seeing their enjoyment, so $3 well spent. My DH had a Timmies gift card the other day and we bought a can of Tim's coffee to make at home which will provide us with so many more yummy cups than buying the ready made cups in the store. I guess I, like many of us, would rather live relatively frugally day to day in order to save, share or splurge on the specific things that are important to each one of us.

So I agree with whoever said-think, think, think( SA I think) before you spend to ensure you spend within your means and on things that are meaningful to you and the others around you if you are able to share even a little here and there.
    Last edited by lizzie bargain; Sat, Mar 14th, 2015 at 10:34 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saundyl View Post
    Qotd.

What are your favourite frugal entertainment actives or even frugal snacks?
    Our frugal entertainment is pretty boring in the winter, we watch a lot of Netflix!! We do go for walks, i take my grandaughter to the nature center, it is free and lots of fun, I also take advantage of both the free workshops at home depot for kids with my granddaughter and for the adult ones for me.My daughters and I do a twice a month freezer cooking day, it serves two purposes we make great healthy meals and get to spend the day together!!
    I love to bake so don't buy cookies etc, I make granola bars, cookies and squares for lunches. for snacks I make home made hummus and other dips to have in the fridge. I also always have burritos made in the freezer at all times for when a houseful of teenage boys invade!!!
    If i think of more I will add!!
    saundyl, Andit, Natalka and 9 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    Our frugal entertainment is pretty boring in the winter, we watch a lot of Netflix!! We do go for walks, i take my grandaughter to the nature center, it is free and lots of fun, I also take advantage of both the free workshops at home depot for kids with my granddaughter and for the adult ones for me.My daughters and I do a twice a month freezer cooking day, it serves two purposes we make great healthy meals and get to spend the day together!!
    I love to bake so don't buy cookies etc, I make granola bars, cookies and squares for lunches. for snacks I make home made hummus and other dips to have in the fridge. I also always have burritos made in the freezer at all times for when a houseful of teenage boys invade!!!
    If i think of more I will add!!
    thrifty...thanks for posting your answer to the QOTD, now my question is do you cater?? ha ha..LOVE the freezer cooking you do with your DD.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Answering my own qotd

Reading books - I borrow avidly from the library..and download free kobo books from the kobo store. And buy second hand.

I pass my books on as well.

We love camping but I have come to face the facts camping is no longer cheap.

I miss the farm I'd go riding or walking alot.here not so much.

We have a movie night at home every other week when we have the boys.
    I knit....if it's on sale it's not too expensive.

Frugal snacks. ...homemade cookies.popcorn. I love dry cereal instead of chips

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Thanks for the QOTD. It reminded me we have an amazing library and I love getting movies and TV series. Then I realized with 5 minute left in the day I have two videos that we forgot to watch and late fees are 1.00 a day, but becuase of the question I just saved 2.00 and I can watch them this week, so really you all save the money for me.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    thrifty...thanks for posting your answer to the QOTD, now my question is do you cater?? ha ha..LOVE the freezer cooking you do with your DD.
    I actually have catered before!!! Wish you were closer I would pop by with some gluten free goodies!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I am not far TG-I will even meet you half way for my catered goodies-lol! It sounds like you have lots to do already! Actually I was half way there yesterday visiting my sister near Didsbury. Our fist time driving the new car on the higway and it handled well-even though the wind was blowing hard and one had to keep a firm grip on the wheel!

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Good morning, everyone.

Poor Lily dog is under the weather. It worries me cause she has fewer years ahead of her then behind her. She was in a bad way last night, so I ended up sleeping on the floor holding her (I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like an idiot, cause she had gone to her bed & left me there alone). I suspect a bladder infection as the cause - we'll see if cranberry juice makes her feel better (trip to vet planned for tomorrow if she doesn't feel better). Sigh. All I really want is a couple of weeks of quiet boring life, with zero adventure. Who am I kidding?

On the plus side, the weather is showing signs of spring, even if it is dark and dreary this morning. And I did have a good laugh yesterday (when no one was looking, of course). I was helping at the show yesterday and a lady walked towards the entrance, stopped and backed away. Because there is an interactive part of the performance at the beginning, she was convinced that there was a real funeral going on and didn't want to intrude. It was very hard to stay in character (we have to put on a somber mood and not smile, which is so contrary to my personality) and explain that this was all part of the play. The laughter came about because we had to repeat that a few times, 4 patrons in all were convinced they were in the wrong place. Got me thinking that I should plan for my own funeral to take place on a Sat matinee at the theatre to thoroughly confuse people - even better if it takes place in the lobby to ensure everyone is part of the festivities (I want a happy occasion, I'll threaten to haunt anyone who sheds a tear ).

Had planned to go out, but things got kerfuffled, which is good. I can stick close to my girl and make some liver treats for the brats.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Cool stuff, great deal!

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Will try to answer the Q's

1) Worst money mistake?
    Not sure it's the worst, but the dumbest recently. My old computer went wonky & I couldn't fix it. Went a day without a computer & was antsy, so bought the first computer that seemed ok (very little research & almost on impulse). If I'd waited a month, I could've bought a far better system for a bit less. Oh & the darn "broken" computer suddenly sprang to life & worked like there had never been a problem. Grrrrr!

2) Frugal entertainment
    Volunteering. Theatres, museums, all sorts of places need volunteers. I am a fanatic when it comes to theatre (LOVE watching, HATE performing). I'm lucky enough to have a theatre in my neighbourhood (actually, there are 3 within walking distance, but I spend all my time at one in particular). I get to see shows I would never have dreamed of paying to see (sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes not so much, either way, I get out among people & get to help out a good cause). I'm also lucky enough to live (literally!) across the street from a tourist venue (http://www.thedistillerydistrict.com/), so there are always festivals and events close by (my neighbours complain about the noise, but I love sitting by my open window & hearing the outdoor concerts).

I also make jewelry, not sure how frugal it is, unless you consider how much I'd spend if I were paying for bracelets and necklaces. It's also my version of physio (arthritis in my hands, found using the tools helpful) & it's far cheaper than going to physio. And I get pretty shiny things to distract me.

3) Frugal snacks
    Not so much for me (unless you count the veggie crisper full of cheap chocolate I buy after holidays). I make my own dog/cat treats. PB cookies, veggie cookies, liver treats (today's job is dehydrating liver). I do bake for humans on occasion, but rarely for myself (cakes/cookies I consider more of a social treat, they'd go stale by the time I polished them off). My downfall really is chocolate (I can easily polish off a chocolate bar (or several!) a day if I'm not careful. Then again, life is short, and since I have no other real vices, I overindulge every so often.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

PS Should mention that the eye surgery went well. I can actually see clearly again. Not as perfect as it was, but waaaay better than it was.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Hope Lily feels better and sound likes a lot of dogs I know to leave you on the floor well they go find a bed.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Page 29 of 58 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast

Thread Information