Page 32 of 58 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast
Like Tree5978Likes

Thread: Marching Forward with Frugality & with Savings 2015 frugal chatter

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Inquiring Minds Want to Know!!!!

What are your 3 key financial tips, it could be as simple as avoid stores, bring your coffee to work anything goes large or small

I could always use more knowledge & tips.
    Picking only three is hard! Here is what I could come up with that mainly apply to mistakes I've made:

1. Saving early is best but now is a great time to start. I keep reading that the best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago, but the second best time is now. Don't beat yourself up over past mistakes. Learn and move on. Life is too short so don't let yourself be miserable for longer than you need to. In your pre-teens and teens, saving anything is good. It's building the habits that are important. A dollar in the bank is worth far more than that CD/game/movie, but don't deprive yourself of enjoying life and building relationships (see tip #3).

2. Research your purchase. Know what you want and what other companies/stores are offering. If you really need something, buy it, because when it's out of stock, you'll have to settle for second best at full price. It's better to have something good at a fair price. Buy quality when it's important and don't deprive yourself in terms of health and education if it will improve your quality of life or your family's. (At least, that's how I justify LO's pricey daycare!) Think frugal, not cheap!

As an add-on to #2, a good return policy trumps final sale every time. Ask before you hand over money. (The return desks in stores I frequent know me by first name, probably.) Check your cart/basket at the end of your visit and do a final inspection of your purchases. Ask yourself if it's worth the money or if you really need it for anything not on your list.

3. Be generous to those in need, your family and your friends. I've lived in a big city where perhaps a small fraction of those asking for money really need it. Be discerning in some cases and don't be silly with your money.

Maybe your gifts won't come back to you in money, but it comes back in love and other ways you won't expect. If someone is truly in need, they have long memories. (Can you tell I'm still dancing when I think I've never purchased toys, clothes, or furniture for LO? All from the kindness of others, and we'll pass it on soon.)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Oh man SS I missed the part about 3 things-I practically wrote a novel!! Lol. Anyway I am away next week so had to do extra posting this week. Free cone day today at DQ but suddenly after 2 weeks of nice weather we have 2 or 3 inches of snow-oh well I guess it is our turn. Today I have been catching up on paperwork etc and have started to pack-working a few hours this aft with my little buddy who needs some work on his speech etc.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

heh all. busy morning..
    caught up on laundry minus two very small loads. will finish today.
    didn't bother taking part in the free ice cream day.. really a kiddy cone? thats what ours offered.

dh went through even more boxes last night, while we watched tv, i worked on my crochet. can't do it long as my hand/finger gets cramped.

so far nothing needed this past week but milk.
    may have to stop in mid week and pick up a few things, eggs, bread.
    were having some nice weather today. up to 11..
    then back to cold for another week. im going to enjoy what we have.. next week im off for some 'personal courses'.
    then more secondary ones after that. all working towards finding a job.
    or at least thats the plan..
    who knows what my future will hold.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Went to the bank on Friday and got hubby`s RIF set up. Then we picked up 2 16L pails of sauerkraut. One is for us and the other for a friend. Now we have 48 bags of it in the freezer.

I can`t think of any tips that haven`t already been covered.

Apparently staying out of stores doesn`t stop me from spending money. I just got my router this afternoon. It was on sale for $40 at Dell with free shipping. Now I just have to figure out how to set it up.
    Yesterday I bought some things from Addition Elle that I needed. I spent $105 and saved $87 so I didn`t think that was too bad. That also qualified for free shipping.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

went to dq for free cone and it was a rather large cone, it said free small cone but I was quite impressed with the size to be honest it really filled the spot and the price was right.
    @lizzie bargain , I tried looking back at the coupon that was emailed to me and i cannot access it now as it has been past the date (kinda of weird if you ask me) as it could only be used on the 4th anyways.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

went to dq for free cone and it was a rather large cone, it said free small cone but I was quite impressed with the size to be honest it really filled the spot and the price was right.
    @lizzie bargain , I tried looking back at the coupon that was emailed to me and i cannot access it now as it has been past the date (kinda of weird if you ask me) as it could only be used on the 4th anyways.
    lizzie bargain likes this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

sounds like you are getting alot of assistance/course Mrs. S. great job on using resources available to you.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

@saundyl sorry to hear that the guys were not giving you the restpect you deserve.

Perhaps some button pushing and seeing how far they could go before you said something was in the cards.

Hopefully going forward everyone can be kind and sensitive to what they say, how they say it and learn to think twice before acting or saying things. hugs

PS we all need a good meltdown once in a while to reset the clocks & boundaries, i had one 2 weeks ago when I made pork carnitas and well things have changed in a good way
    Im glad its gotten better for you.
    The button pushingwas happening. Bf and i chatted a bit about thjngs last night as well they ve been doing it to him but not quite as badly.

The oldest refused to clean hus roo. Yesterday. Figures i should do it for him before family arrives. I told him today since he didn't do it I'd be boxing the stuff he left out up taking a pic and when people leave put it back just the way it was. He tried to tell me that was more work and i told him it saves me from having to hear about how i hid or lost his stuff. His dad told him we'll just box it up and he can deal with it himself then

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Oh man SS I missed the part about 3 things-I practically wrote a novel!! Lol. Anyway I am away next week so had to do extra posting this week. Free cone day today at DQ but suddenly after 2 weeks of nice weather we have 2 or 3 inches of snow-oh well I guess it is our turn. Today I have been catching up on paperwork etc and have started to pack-working a few hours this aft with my little buddy who needs some work on his speech etc.
    Lol i did too!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Today was the first day with the most recent new girl. took cookies to one of our lawyers. Left themon his desk when he got back just before 5 all i heardfrom his office was ooo cookies yum thannk you!

Leftovers tonight for supper were yum bf put our cheese sauce and cauliflower into the delicious pasta n sauce from Friday which combined was just as yum.

I wish dq was closer id so be all over that free cone lol.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saundyl View Post
    Im glad its gotten better for you.
    The button pushingwas happening. Bf and i chatted a bit about thjngs last night as well they ve been doing it to him but not quite as badly.

The oldest refused to clean hus roo. Yesterday. Figures i should do it for him before family arrives. I told him today since he didn't do it I'd be boxing the stuff he left out up taking a pic and when people leave put it back just the way it was. He tried to tell me that was more work and i told him it saves me from having to hear about how i hid or lost his stuff. His dad told him we'll just box it up and he can deal with it himself then
    I like the boxing up his stuff, sometimes things backfire and sounds like the youngman's plan did just that, lessons we all learn but it will give him something to think about the next time, I would keep that box handy

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Question for you smart folks, I used a personalized coupon on March 4th which was spend $25.00 get 20x the points, I have not gotten the points yet and I'm wondering normally how long it takes, the coupon was scanned and shows on my receipt (coupon) with the code but no points yet, AND I stupidly didn't write down when the points should be awarded by . I now have made a mental note to send myself a reply email to myself when I use these coupons going forward so i will know by when the points should be awarded.

Other than the pc points coupons for use when you get a pcf mastercard I've never used personalized coupons. The pc points took weeks

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I like the boxing up his stuff, sometimes things backfire and sounds like the youngman's plan did just that, lessons we all learn but it will give him something to think about the next time, I would keep that box handy
    Oh i will be keepin it handy.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

off to babysit "ashlyn" had fun yesterday (we took her out on her bike has a handle we push)got a tiny bit nice yesterday
    -then she walked up and down the sidewalk squelling with joy
    -may take her to the mall today

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saundyl View Post
    I had a bit of a melt down last night - finally told bf and the boys exactly how unwelcome the oldest one (and bf a couple times this week too) has been managing to make me feel the past couple months. what makes me furious is anytime i say anything WITHOUT a meltdown i get brushed off as over exaggerating how i feel. I'm sorry but how i feel is how i feel no one else can tell me how i'm being made to feel but ME.

It did result in BF telling him that he has to make an effort to im not the only one who has to try to make this work.
    @saundyl : I'm glad you spoke up for yourself. It's hard to know sometimes with all the noise of life that someone feels run over and that just builds up to a meltdown. Hopefully the boys will be more understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    I also make jewelry, not sure how frugal it is, unless you consider how much I'd spend if I were paying for bracelets and necklaces. It's also my version of physio (arthritis in my hands, found using the tools helpful) & it's far cheaper than going to physio. And I get pretty shiny things to distract me.

3) Frugal snacks
    Not so much for me (unless you count the veggie crisper full of cheap chocolate I buy after holidays). I make my own dog/cat treats. PB cookies, veggie cookies, liver treats (today's job is dehydrating liver). I do bake for humans on occasion, but rarely for myself (cakes/cookies I consider more of a social treat, they'd go stale by the time I polished them off). My downfall really is chocolate (I can easily polish off a chocolate bar (or several!) a day if I'm not careful. Then again, life is short, and since I have no other real vices, I overindulge every so often.
    @Andit : The jewelery making is therapy, so it's a healthcare necessary expense and fulfills your giving side too. As for the chocolate, I don't know how you do it because there's an amazing chocolate shop in the Distillery District. Lovely shops too. I once picked up a letter opener that I saw in Copenhagen for less than the price there and it was on sale.

Congratulations on the surgery going well!

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Oh man SS I missed the part about 3 things-I practically wrote a novel!! Lol.
    @lizzie bargain : Can't you tell we like novels?

Each week that the flyers come out and I see nothing we really need, I always think "phew!" We just had a major car repair totalling four figures. All the sensors decided to go so the ABS would randomly turn on. Our old car (same year, same model) never had any issues like that.

Now we're trying to get our windows and doors replaced. A few storm doors are more than four figures. Gracious! We need it and there's a 25% off promotion currently, so I'm just trying to brace myself for what feels like the cost of buying a new car all over again.

DH tells me the roof needs doing and there's a brown spot appearing over the ceiling of our bedroom that's worrying.

Page 32 of 58 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast

Thread Information