User Tag List

Page 48 of 58 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
Like Tree5978Likes

Thread: Marching Forward with Frugality & with Savings 2015 frugal chatter

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Good morning, everyone.

I finally started to feel a bit more human yesterday afternoon. I got so excited, I started vacuuming (well, it had been 4 days and my grey carpet was turning a weird shade of brown thanks to all 3 of us shedding ). That pretty much did me in for the rest of the day. But at least the carpet is relatively clean. For now.

I'm supposed to help out at the theatre (it's complicated to get folks to their seats, so they need all the bodies they can get) later today, we'll see if I end up staying for the show (knowing me, now that I'm not feeling as yucky, I won't be able to resist ). Darn these temptations that make life fun.

Will have to get in a few naps before I go out.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    I would call the pharmacy and ask if there is a generic brand of the Restasis and get them to check if it's covered and if so get them to send a request to your doctor explaining the switch from Restasis to generic, maybe leave a message at the doctor's office too, just a thought.
    I think that's a great idea to ask a pharmacist. Often they or the doctor will know of another option.

QOTD: Is there anything you're looking to stock up for in March? Cleaners and frozen foods are typically on sale this season, along with winter clothing.

IMWTK: Do you have any tips/tricks that you do to curb your spending on items that you're prone to buy?

I have a tendency to buy a new winter coat in each year's boxing day sales. The last time I purchased a coat (maybe four years ago now), I left the tag on to remind myself that I don't wear coats out fast enough to warrant purchasing a new one. Now I've worn that coat several times with the tag on, but only on short trips to visit friends and family. I'll be mortified when someone finally sees the tag. Keeping the tag on and waiting until someone notices is also an experiment to show myself that no one really notices little details so I can wear a top twice in a row or the same dress to many occasions, etc.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

QOTD: Is there anything you're looking to stock up for in March? Cleaners and frozen foods are typically on sale this season, along with winter clothing.

I think I missed the clearance for winter clothing as I couldn't find anything at Walmart. I did find kids running shoes for $3 in a few larger sizes but still looking for sizes for youngest DD. Found some tank tops and shorts on clearance for $1 for oldest DD. As for groceries I'm planning on stocking up on hams as No Frills has them for $0.97/lb starting Friday which is the lowest price all year. Baking supplies are also on sale this month for Easter so I stocked up on sugar, flour and choc chips.
    So far I've found kids running shoes on clearance for $3. I've found several larger sizes for oldest DD but still on the lookout for smaller size for youngest DD. Also scored some summer clothes on clearance for $1. No luck on winter clearance. Iur only shopping option around here) puts winter coats etc... on clearance after Christmas so I missed out.

IMWTK: Do you have any tips/tricks that you do to curb your spending on items that you're prone to buy?

Basically if I don't have the cash I don't buy it and also stay out of stores. I have separate budgets for clothing etc and I try to only go to shopping once a month for all of our non-food purchases. I keep a list going all month long of non-food things we need and shop at the beginning of the month for what we need and can afford. Grocery spending is a bigger problem for me so I've been trying to limit my shopping to only 1 store (instead of going to 3 or 4 to get all the deals) and trying to stretch out our shopping to 1.5 - 2 weeks instead of every week.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-I would love to stock up on a few frozen foods -lasagna ,fish etc -I find the sales not great lately -so trying to use up the stuff in freezer, I could use a few more winter tops but only wish to buy thrift)
    -my tips or tricks to curb spending is not gong out-I love to spend always have -other than that I dont curb my spending (no thats not right I have curbed it this month a bit -bought fruit and veggies at the market when we were out of town -didnt go into frotinos right now as I came home from dentist
    -well just made banana bead
    -just came from my dentist -she said to see my family doctor -it might be auto-immune i have been sick of and on since nov
    -I showed her the pills am currently on for sinus infection and she went wow -she is more into herbal stuff-she said these pills make my mouth a bit more dry-so I will see him on thursday -closed today

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

QOTH: Stocking up. I have been trying to be really good the past few years and stock up on items we use (not like years before where I would spend so much time getting a "deal" and it be a waste of time/space etc) At the moment we have extra of everything but I haven't bought shampoo/conditioner in years and we are our last few bottles. So that is one thing I would like to stock up on. Foodwise- I have been really trying to shop smart and when I find a deal I stock up. Now with BBQ season ahead of us I will grab extra bbq food even the stuff that I don't feed the kids often (hot dogs lol yuck!) But its good to have on hand when you have extra friends around. We live near a park so DS is always bringing someone back home for a drink etc so I want to be super prepared mom this summer and let the kids know they can pop over etc so I can keep my boy safe. I will make sure to have extra food so if I tell him lunch is at this time I can let him know he can bring friends back home. I can't wait for summer!!! So after that long winded sentence I really want to stock up on summer bbqing food etc * I make my own burger patties and am stocked on lean pork after the Metro sale and I see Lean beef is on at RCSS this weekend so will grab some so I'm ready for the next batch of burger patties I make (I have pork/turkey burgers in the freezer right now and they were really good!!)
    Last edited by Frugalbigmama; Wed, Mar 25th, 2015 at 11:11 AM.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@Natalka thanks for sharing the video, wow he really is smart and talented
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

For April I really need some awesome sales on meats especially Italian sausage, ground beef, ham, chicken breast, pork loin and whatever else. March was a really trying month with a smaller budget and everything being depleted from the dog food, stuff from the freezer and everything else so I'm really hoping to fill my freezer as much as possible.

I absolutely hate shopping so I can't get out of the stores quick enough so no lurking for us, however, I am fortunate enough to be able to shop for free at the re-use it centre for clothing for my family, household items such as glass wares, small appliances, etc...so curbing my spending on miscellaneous stuff is not a problem, however, I would suggest staying out of stores when it's not necessary and if it's not affordable. Also eat before going shopping so you're not tempted to buy a coffee or extra foods, snacks.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Well, I'm crocheting full steam ahead and have graduated to making adult slippers The slippers I made for a young lady's birthday turned out great and she was pleased. Now my sister wants a pair as well so I'm busy on those at the moment - also for her birthday. So, not making any money crocheting but having a ton of fun!

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Glad to hear you`re enjoying your new hobby. It`s great isn`t it?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I asked a hockey mom from last years team if she could teach me when the new season starts if we are on the same team. She said yes and even if we aren't she would teach me! We are hoping to crochet team scarves for all the mama's to wear while cheering our boys on

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@momof5boys glad you are enjoying your new hobbies, handmade gifts are one of a kind and you'll be a pro by the time Christmas comes
    @Frugalbigmama sounds like a plan, you never seem to surprise us with your determination

Perhaps someone should start a chrocheting thread if there is not already one atleast there would be 4 members @Crochetlady @MrsSunshine @momof5boys @Frugalbigmama sorry if I'm missing someone from this thread

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

It's amazing what you get done when you don't go on the pc/laptop until after lunch

Meal plan this week has been 1 day at time as it's slim pickings unless we eat moose everyday (which would not be well rec'd by all)

Monday - Roast pork ended up having broccoli instead as the bag was almost empty and decided on fries as a filler as pork roast is not usually a huge hit and go figure it was my last one and they all enjoyed (new seasonings etc) is what did it, so I'm pleased and will put pork roast back on my list of things to buy while on sale

Tuesday - bbq chicken breast w/ sweet peas and rice

Wednesday - pepperoni & marinated moose steak cut into thin strips on a bun w/ fries for the guys

Thursday - chicken wings

Friday - grocery day...... CAN you tell I'm excited????

Now to make my climbing grocery list and match up with flyers....

Wishing everyone a wonderful evening.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    I would call the pharmacy and ask if there is a generic brand of the Restasis and get them to check if it's covered and if so get them to send a request to your doctor explaining the switch from Restasis to generic, maybe leave a message at the doctor's office too, just a thought.
    I just talked to the pharmacist and she said there is no generic brand. I`ve been reading a bit about it and it looks like the insurance companies aren`t covering it.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Third day in a row of no spending!

I was running late this morning, and couldn't find my thermos to take my tea with me. My first thought was, oh I'll just grab a Timmies on the way. But then I said NOPE! I brought a tea bag with me and boiled the kettle when I got to work.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by monkeydoodle View Post
    Third day in a row of no spending!

I was running late this morning, and couldn't find my thermos to take my tea with me. My first thought was, oh I'll just grab a Timmies on the way. But then I said NOPE! I brought a tea bag with me and boiled the kettle when I got to work.
    Great job , it's so much easier when you have the proper mindset and a routine with bringing your own beverages (hot or cold) and lunches/snacks, keep up the great work

Page 48 of 58 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast

Thread Information