User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By tjthemanto
  • 1 Post By anastasia1009
  • 1 Post By Ciel

Thread: Tax Question Ontario Tuition carryover to Saskatchewan

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I have $1188 Provincial Tuition, Education and Textbook Amounts carry forward for when I went to school in Ontario. Now I live in Saskatchewan can I use that amount in Schedule 11 for Saskatchewan or do I have to save it until I move back to Ontario.

I was reading the internet and I found this as an example.. works for all provinces except PEI and QC

The Ontario Tuition carryover is accepted on the Alberta return at the same value as the transferred Federal credit.

For example, if your credit carryovers are $15000 federal and $10000 Ontario,
    Then what you enter for AB is $15000 federal and $15000 Alberta.

You actually do ok.because the amount is being credited @ 5.05% In ON but at 10% in AB due to different tax rates.
    So would have received $505.50 tax reduction in ON but will now get $1500 in AB.

This particular carryover arrangement between Provinces is the most common, but there are variations.
    For example ON would accept a tuition carryover from AB at the same amount as the Alberta credit.

**** so I have $5200 as a federal credit and $1188 as a Ontario carry over - so instead of putting $1189 to Sask Schedule 11 I put the federal amount as $5200.

I called the CRA and they told me to add the two credit together and put it in federal - I think she new cause that didn't sound right
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anastasia1009 View Post

**** so I have $5200 as a federal credit and $1188 as a Ontario carry over - so instead of putting $1189 to Sask Schedule 11 I put the federal amount as $5200.

I called the CRA and they told me to add the two credit together and put it in federal - I think she new cause that didn't sound right
    Not sure if this is what the CRA agent meant..( See Below )..so I guess you get lucky and get to claim $ 5,200 twice , as oppossed to $ 5,200 as Federal , & $ 1,189 as provincial . I might be wrong but that's my interpretation of what the CRA agent is saying & What's written below. But double check again

But apparently if you use a Tax software , they automatically know how to do these things..I guess.

http://www.taxtips.ca/filing/student...rryforward.htm
    Moving to another province

If you moved to another province after carrying forward tuition and education amounts, then you will use the federal unused tuition and education amounts from your notice of assessment as a carry-forward when completing the provincial Schedule 11 for your new province of residence, unless you moved to Ontario, Prince Edward Island, or Québec.

If you moved to ON from QC, use the federal amount, otherwise use the provincial amount
    If you moved to PE from QC, use the federal amount, otherwise use the lower of the provincial or federal amount.
    If you moved to QC from any other province, when completing Schedule T, use the tuition amounts shown on your prior year T2202A, as long as they do not exceed the carried forward amount shown on your notice of assessment. In Québec, the education and textbook amounts from previous years cannot be utilized for the provincial tax credit.
    The above will be done automatically if a software package is used to file your return, using the amounts that you enter as federal and provincial carried forward amounts. If you are using manual forms, the above information is found on the bottom of each provincial Schedule 11 form, except for the Québec form. The Québec reference for this is Québec Taxation Act s. 752.0.18.10 and 752.0.18.13.
    Last edited by tjthemanto; Wed, Mar 4th, 2015 at 08:39 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Call them again & confirm that . Note the time , name of the agent , Reference # etc if you can. If possible record the call..they are recording it anyways..ha ha. Then you can say ..Hey ! You told me , not me !

Just go ahead and put $ 5,200 at both Federal & Provincial forms ..doesn't make sense to me , but CRA often doesn't make sense..ha ha ..& have weird and complicated/complex rules when it comes to rebates, taxes, credits, refunds etc
    anastasia1009 likes this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Call them again & confirm that . Note the time , name of the agent , Reference # etc if you can. If possible record the call..they are recording it anyways..ha ha. Then you can say ..Hey ! You told me , not me !

Just go ahead and put $ 5,200 at both Federal & Provincial forms ..doesn't make sense to me , but CRA often doesn't make sense..ha ha ..& have weird and complicated/complex rules when it comes to rebates, taxes, credits, refunds etc
    thank you.
    I used Studio tax and Genutax I think - I put both numbers in both places and its a difference of $121 - If I put 1180 in the SK 11 provincial or $5200 = the difference isn't much - I will put the $5200 amount is SK 11 - all they can is fix my return. I have read every thing on the internet and it all says put the federal amount in the Provincial one as long as I don't fall in that except.
    Why does the Government do this to us people Now I must understand the T2125 Statement of Business since we lived in Ontario he had contract then got employed in Saskatchewan . I know I have to fill out tax forms for each province but OMG I can't find a program that will do it. sigh
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Multiple jurisdiction fun, @anastasia1009 !
    anastasia1009 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Finally after talking to a few people and being transferred to someone who knows about the carryover - she said that the amount I have in the federal goes in the schedule 11 for Sask. woohoo

going to efile it - then start fresh with hubbys tax return as the dual tax but he gets to claim the moving cost so he should be ok.

Thread Information