User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree251Likes

Thread: It's Crazy to me...

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have the same experience as you Poohbah, the cashiers all have told me that I'm the only real Couponer in the area which is bizarre to me and several of them have asked for lessons, cracks me up - and yes, it's very nice to always have a pleasant, stress-free check out!

you're right about us being good advertising, I've gotten quite a few folks I to the programme and they are very proud of their points but none of them gets the concept of trying to always earn more points than you spend so they are happily generating cash for SDM

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Poobah View Post
    Ahah...

Yes, In fact I have paused to consider such a thing... I've definitely been warm and friendly to the cashier's, but I don't think my wife would approve of going to the lengths of friendliness required to entice one of these fine ladies to entertain such an idea.

Hey, I've seen male cashiers before! There's also managers, stock guys, pharmacists, ... It doesn't have to be "fine ladies" all the time, you know.

Unfortunately, I'm one of the poor unfortunate souls who's never received an email from them. I have the box checked on my online Optimum account, I've called in and asked, checked spam folders, blocked senders, and I still have no idea why I've never had a single email.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

About Gift cards... Many cashiers don't know this, but they can be topped up. So I use the same trust giftcard all the time. You can load up to 200 dollars in one shot... not sure a card can hold more then that though. So usually the one card is all you will need, unless buying PS4 and other big ticket items.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I totally agree! I only wish I got hooked on Shoppers sooner (when they had $250 Christmas redemptions!)

Last year I earned over 1.2 million optimum points! (I do all the shopping for my family of 5 (including babies), my brothers family of 6 (3 teenage boys) and a fair bit for my parents). This year I'm over 430 000 already. In 2014 I spent almost $4000 (which includes tax and lots of Alberta deposit), but I had over $2300 in redemptions (plus some gift card perks along the way). I save almost 40% overall on everything I walk out of the store with (on top of their excellent sale prices). I often wonder as well if they actually make any money off me. I did my first big Shoppers trip on June 16, 2012 (first redemption Dec 1, 2012) and have loved it ever since!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by nalaric View Post
    I totally agree! I only wish I got hooked on Shoppers sooner (when they had $250 Christmas redemptions!)

Last year I earned over 1.2 million optimum points! (I do all the shopping for my family of 5 (including babies), my brothers family of 6 (3 teenage boys) and a fair bit for my parents). This year I'm over 430 000 already. In 2014 I spent almost $4000 (which includes tax and lots of Alberta deposit), but I had over $2300 in redemptions (plus some gift card perks along the way). I save almost 40% overall on everything I walk out of the store with (on top of their excellent sale prices). I often wonder as well if they actually make any money off me. I did my first big Shoppers trip on June 16, 2012 (first redemption Dec 1, 2012) and have loved it ever since!!
    You sound like you could be me? Dates and everything.. Minus Baby. lol

Great Post!
    nalaric and terry2144 like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I agree with all you mighty sdm shoppers. Fortunately my sdm cashiers know that we get base points on gift card.

My only regret is that i started collecting optimum points last year, they stopped sending "spend points, get points back" event last year, they stopped offering mega redemption like $250 etc. I wish someone would've told me about this awesome program as soon as i came to Canada.

I am very scared that they are going to change optimum program, but i see a little bit of hope when i read that optimum program is the biggest loyalty program in Canada and one in every three Canadians use this program(although not to the extent where we go.......hats off to our greed of collecting optimum points). Lol

Trading Score
    169 (100%)

My DH used to think "how could just shopping there add up to free stuff?", now he knows better!!
    Anna Michele and terry2144 like this.

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Be very grateful for all the people who like to pay full price at SDM and do not take full advantage of the program lol. If everyone shopped like we do the optimum program could not sustain itself.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by annedougherty View Post
    Be very grateful for all the people who like to pay full price at SDM and do not take full advantage of the program lol. If everyone shopped like we do the optimum program could not sustain itself.

Soooo true. Lol.
    annedougherty and terry2144 like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm one of two shoppers according to one cashier that takes advantage of all the programs. I'm the second highest in points with the SDM accountant having the highest. I also wonder why they even let me shop there since they couldn't possibly be making money off of me. I'm always asked where I find coupons because the staff do use coupons. However SDM staff can't get personalized coupons and no discounts on sales or clearance items.
    A few of my neighbours do coupon but they don't factor in gas/bus tickets for travelling, membership fees, postage when trading or other costs.
    I factor in all costs and all programs before deciding what to purchase. Lately all sales seem to be exactly the same price or within a few cents of each other. The coupons and other incentives are the big difference between the stores.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Please tell my why the gift cards? I really have never read the booklet so the trick is? Thanks
    terry2144 likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

About Gift cards... Many cashiers don't know this, but they can be topped up. So I use the same trust giftcard all the time. You can load up to 200 dollars in one shot...
    But do you still get the points when you top it up? (I was going to do that once and the cashier told me I wouldn't get the points, that I would only get points if I bought a new card. So I did 'cause I wanted to be sure. But I'd rather just reload! )
    Anna Michele and terry2144 like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Nina1 View Post
    Please tell my why the gift cards? I really have never read the booklet so the trick is? Thanks
    Nina1, when you buy SDM gift cards you get base points on the purchase. (You don't get any points when you buy any other gift cards).

So the trick is to buy SDM gift cards, then use them for your own purchases. That way you double dip by getting points when you buy the GC, then getting points when you spend it to buy things you would have bought anyway.

And there is usually a bonus offer every fall (November I think?) for buying gift cards. Last year it was something like 8,000 bonus points when you bought at least 3 different gift cards totaling $200. You could do this twice. So it's a chance to triple dip!

And I always use my airmiles points Visa to buy the Gift Cards, so I get those points as well (quadruple dip!). (And if the cashier tells you that you can't use a credit card to buy gift cards, like my store does, they are wrong...but rather than argue I just to go to a different SDM to buy my gift cards.)

Lots of points to be had!
    Last edited by lorken; Wed, Mar 18th, 2015 at 02:18 PM.
    walkonby, Nina1, amira84 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by lorken View Post
    But do you still get the points when you top it up? (I was going to do that once and the cashier told me I wouldn't get the points, that I would only get points if I bought a new card. So I did 'cause I wanted to be sure. But I'd rather just reload! )
    You defintely get the points.
    lorken and terry2144 like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You defintely get the points.
    Yessss! Next trip I'll be topping up my gift cards! Thanks Poobah!
    amira84 and terry2144 like this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information