User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ciel

Thread: Retirement Communtiies in Toronto

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hello everyone,

I need some Real estate/home buying tips discussion here. I'm currently looking into getting a place for my mom and dad (65 and 69 respectively) in the GTA region. I stumbled upon this 'Christian Condo in Scarborough' only because they are deeply religious but I have some skepticism about it. Has anyone actually known someone who lives or resides in these type of residences and if so, what are your thuoghts on it. I'm also open to hearing about retirement communities in general as I'm a total noob in this subject. Thanks in advance!

Mary
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I don't have actual experience with retirement communities beyond what I read. In Hamilton, Ontaroi there are at least three retirement communities (that are religious) that offer lifelong leases on units (townhouses/apartments) that when the owners pass away, the units revert to the community with 10% of the sale price going back to the community as a donation. So the units are used by the current occupants during their lives or while they are capable of independent living (not sure how the transition is made if an occupant has to move into nursing home if unable to live independently) but the buildings are actually owned outright by the religious community/foundation/non-profit. Or there could be a clause that if the occupants live so many years in the complex, ownership of the unit transfers to them. You have to read the agreement.

Be aware that chain retirement homes likely have boards that are also seeking to make profits for their shareholders. So read any annual reports to see if there are staff turnover issues, capital investments, changes in board/owners. Get some feedback from people living in communities that you are considering or their families (what have they heard from their parents living in communities)? If your parents have specific interests that they'd like to enjoy on-site or want a shuttle for shopping or off-site excursions, will the community under consideration have them? Also, what are the rules about meals/advance notice for visitors/personal care services etc? Will your parents have to see the community's doctor? Things like those can matter in the final decision.

https://www.sjv.on.ca/
    http://retirementnaturally.com/whychooseus.php
    http://www.wellingstone.ca/info.html

Some retirement communities may also have a nursing home supported facility on-site. I know that anyone in Ontario needing nursing homes have to apply through the CCAC in their area for that application process. I don't know if an on-site nursing facility allows direct transfers from their own retirement homes into their nursing facility.

In Toronto, there are some cultural groups that have retirement homes that provide their home language service to retirees or to nursing home residents living in those homes. Not sure of the process there either. If your parents might know other languages (I read of a non francophone elder who had a family member request a francophone placement for her as she did know French after her native language but not English), they could help with getting a place in a residence using languages others than French or English.

You might find it useful to examine listings or articles about communities mentioned in Forever Young News. http://foreveryoungnews.com/posts/6/category

As far as I know, retirement communities are not regulated by the Ministry of Health.
    beachdown likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

That link you provided indicates a new condo or apartment building. Do you know if your parents would be comfortable living in such a building? Some seniors like living in single storey or low storey buildings.

That said, you might find out which Toronto churches might have their own senior residence/apartment complex. The complex might be managed by property management firms that collect rent and the tenants have to find their own transportation/recreational opportunities. Maybe there are nearby senior centres with recreational activities for a modest annual membership.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Thread Information