User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Please don't buy those "green bags"!!! Use the free ones in your home now!!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I was ing channels and noticed that the shopping channel and noticed those ridiculous Debbie Meyer green bags! PLEASE don't waste your money on them!
    You have FREE bags in your homes now with the same preservatives in them: CEREAL BAGS!!

I use empty cereal bags for our greens, deli meats, bacon, and they keep foods fresh for a very long time!

Rinse your lettuce and any veggies, place in cereal bags....remove bacon from new packages and place in cereal bags: no goody bacon, ever!...remove deli meats from those plastic bags and place them all in cereal bags...fresh and dry for a long time!..marinate meats in them!.....it just makes me so angry that people are buying what they already gave free in their homes!!!
    This thread is currently associated with: The Shopping Channel

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Oh my heavens!! Measuring cups that are separate?!?! Why not cut the loop they're on! Mine came separate and not for $20 and I don't "lose" them in my drawer!
    Imagine that?!
    Debbie sure can sell things no one needs for ridiculous prices!!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

LOL, I thought watching the shopping channel was supposed to relax people!

I use bread bags, grocery bags - for repackaging foods, etc. and am fine with them.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Lynn!! I cannot believe that I almost never watch infomercials BUT I watched THAT one last night and I was giggling at all the silliness. The pots and pans in racks, and those plastic food savers she was flogging! Like you I always snag DH and DS cereal bags from them after they are empty. They know not to toss them out now.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    Lynn!! I cannot believe that I almost never watch infomercials BUT I watched THAT one last night and I was giggling at all the silliness. The pots and pans in racks, and those plastic food savers she was flogging! Like you I always snag DH and DS cereal bags from them after they are empty. They know not to toss them out now.
    l

Lol! How ridiculous, eh?! The same preservatives that are in those stupid green bags comes free IN cereal bags and they're free! Unlike other plastic bags, they actually keep foods dry and fresh.....well, you know what they say about a fool and his money!
    I can just see you jumping on anyone at your house who would dare trash a cereal bag, lol! I'm pretty sure they're too frightened to attempt that anymore!
    macw1960, walkonby, ticul and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Wow thanks. This is the first I've heard about cereal bags. Love it!
    Lynn49 and ticul like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by terry2144 View Post
    Wow thanks. This is the first I've heard about cereal bags. Love it!
    they are just perfect terry! I've used and reused them many times over, they are that durable.
    Lynn49, macw1960 and ticul like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

thanks for the tip! i would never have bought those bags but i never knew about cereal bags! of course! it makes sense now that i think about it.
    Name:  doh-smiley.gif
Views: 493
Size:  2.7 KB
    Lynn49, macw1960, walkonby and 1 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Thank you for the tip. Like Heartgirl said " of course! it makes sense now that I think about it.".............................
    Lynn49 and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

You're welcome, Ladies.....I just started using them because they were 'free', then realized that foods were staying WAY longer in them, so I'm not sure which came first, whether I googled "preservatives in cereal bags" or asked my chemist hubby, but one way or another realized the answer to keeping foods fresher longer was the preservative in those bags!

Honestly...the best one for us is taking the bacon out of that gooey package it comes in, giving the bunch a full rinse (not separating the strips), wrapping it in a paper towel and putting the whole thing into a cereal bag...omg, fresh, dry bacon almost for ever! Of course the same holds true for deli meats..just shove them all into the bag, and of course, lettuce!!!

Enjoy!!

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Like Lynn said "A fool and their money soon part" which was exactly what I was thinking.
    Lynn49 likes this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    183 (100%)

News for me too! never thought about reusing cereal bags to keep food fresh -- but will definitely start.

Question for you though .... here in Victoria (as probably in many other places in Canada) ... we now have to separate out our garbage so that any kitchen/food waste goes into a separate bucket. Well the small bags for the kitchen waste containers costs a fortune ... about $3-$5 for a pack of 20 ..... For us that holds about 3-4 days of kitchen waste.

The bags have to be compostable - so that's either the specialty ones or paper bags. Paper bags just become a soggy mess. Do cereal bags break down? Any other options that you know of?
    macw1960 and Durham Couponer like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I never knew that those green bags had the same preservative as a cereal bag does. I thought that the green bag has natural preservative not the BHA that is used in cereal bags.

Personally, now that I know that BHA is used for both the cereal and green bag, I think I will pass.........

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dahliagrower View Post
    News for me too! never thought about reusing cereal bags to keep food fresh -- but will definitely start.

Question for you though .... here in Victoria (as probably in many other places in Canada) ... we now have to separate out our garbage so that any kitchen/food waste goes into a separate bucket. Well the small bags for the kitchen waste containers costs a fortune ... about $3-$5 for a pack of 20 ..... For us that holds about 3-4 days of kitchen waste.

The bags have to be compostable - so that's either the specialty ones or paper bags. Paper bags just become a soggy mess. Do cereal bags break down? Any other options that you know of?
    @dahliagrower

City Hall and Crystal Pool sell rolls of 90 for $10 plus tax
    macw1960 and dahliagrower like this.
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Thanks for the tip Lynn49 interested in continuing reading (and contributing) to this conversation.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information