User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Advice for plus size clothing

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

So here it goes: it has gotten to a point that xl clothing no longer fits me comfortable. I have gained enough weight that I am now considered plus size. I need to find clothing that fits and is comfortable.. I could use suggestions onto where i can shop for plus size stuff.... also I am a bit disabled and going through racks for long times to find that win then try it on is hard for me.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Ciel and padyofurniture like this.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Try online sites like Walmart, Mark's and Land's End. I like Walmart clearance section. I have only shopped for men's clothing so not sure if they have lots of choices for women.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Penningtons has size 14 up to 5x. The clothes are proportionate to your size rather than what you'd get at some other shops in the 1x or 2x range. Some sweaters at Marks were what I'd consider an L but were marked 2x.

Reitmans have plus size clothing. It's been awhile since I've stopped in, but their Contrast jeans were very comfortable. Just the right amount of spandex.

Winners have a small section of brand name plus sized clothing. It's really hit or miss.

If you get to the US, Lane Bryant, Catherines, Walmart & Kmart.
    ROMEO, Ciel and idonovan like this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

if price point isn't a real issue penningtons/additionelle is a great option, friendly staff that know their products(can pull stuff for you or direct you to exactly what you are looking for, quiet store and often you can get help if need be.. unfortuantely they are the highest price point (expect to pay $50-70 for a pair of jeans, $25 for a T shirt... nicer shirts will be easily $40+... non sale prices ofcourse)

Reitmans has a plus sized section a bit cheaper but not as much of a selection.. and not all stores carry plus size

oldnavy.ca they have plus size but ONLY online (makes no sense to me when it comes to plus size fit is very important)

forever 21 has a plus section but you won't get quality there

winners is touch and go.. sometimes great stock sometimes complete crap plus you gotta dig through the racks

walmart has plus size though you do have to dig a bit through racks of very ugly clothing to find a gem or two...

i find the XXL at old navy in stores fits about a size 18ish... similar with Marks

Ricki's also goes up to a size 18 (what could be comparable to a 1-2X)
    Ciel, idonovan and padyofurniture like this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I miss Cotton Ginny. And in the US, the Fashion Bug.
    ROMEO, Ciel and Durham Couponer like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I've just gotten into XL, sizes 16-18 from...well...2x+, so I basically was forced to shop at Penningtons or Addition-Elle here. I hated most if their too short, glitter-strewn, foil animal printed crap, but every so often nice PLAIN blouses and t-shirts would show up. I do like their slacks, esp the ones with a little spandex even tho I don't wear them tight, but they have a nice fit. Jeans are fine if you can find them without spangles.. you'll be an X or 1X there. The one nice top I buy there is the V-neck plain white and plain black t-shirt with 5% spandex...love the fit! washes like a rag! always looks smart. Don't buy any 100% cotton, they all shrink weird and look cheap after a wash.

Reitmans has some very nice styles, LOVE their white jeans! Grab a pair when you can. Nice, feminine tops, blouses, in the same styles as the smaller sizes. But not many pieces in each size so keep popping in and buy when you find something you like, they go quickly. Great prices right now on slacks...
    I found a pair of light grey slacks today, slight stretch, $12.99. Other nice tops on sale, also.

I bought lots of t-shirts, white plain blouses from Lands End...buy a size up to be certain they fit, great quality! Shipping was reasonable.

Hope that helps, Hon!
    Last edited by Lynn49; Tue, Mar 24th, 2015 at 09:36 PM.
    Ciel, walkonby, idonovan and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Walmart has a lot of clothing that should fit you good. It depends on your shape though. Like what bits are making you not fit into an XL. A lot of brands run super large while others run super small.
    Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

For comfort shopping, definitely Pennington's or Addition Elle - stores have racks spread out, there are places to sit, large dressing rooms (Pennington's have a bench inside), and VERY awesome staff.
    You can always check online just to see what they have - though the sales aren't always the same online/instore.

If shopping online, you can return Pennington's items instore.
    Sign up for their email, they let you know when they have sales, free shipping offers, etc.
    They are only occasional, you don't get many.

Sears also has some nice clothing. The Bay used to, I haven't shopped there for a while, so not sure now.

Google stores in Calgary, I found some, but I don't know the city -
    http://www.fashionaddition14plus.com/

Here's a consignment store, their prices should be decent

http://www.fullfigurefashions.ca/

http://www.penningtons.com/on/demand...FUiEfgodoUgASA

http://www.additionelle.com/en/plus-size-clothing-plus-size-apparel

Last edited by Natalka; Tue, Mar 24th, 2015 at 10:31 PM.
    ROMEO, Ciel, idonovan and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I would recommend old navy, it is online however it is free returns (shipping) this way you don't have to worry about going through the racks. They have affordable plus size wear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm a fan of Penningtons. The staff at my local store are absolutely fantastic and they won't let you leave with something that doesn't look good or you don't feel comfortable with. Sometimes I question the styles that they have, but I'm not a pattern person. Yet, I'll see that item on someone similar in size and shape and it looks awesome. They also sell petite sizes for people like me who are plus, but also short. P.S. I love that they sell Skechers in wide widths. Their prices can be high, but I don't find them unreasonable. They're just not Old Navy prices.

I'm not so much a fan of Reitmans since they seemed to have pared down their plus size collections and many stores have gotten rid of the plus size altogether. The one thing about Reitmans though is if you're on the smaller end (1X or 2X), you may be able to fit their XXL sizes in the non-plus collections.

I also would suggest Ricki's depending on what size category you fit into. Ricki's has free shipping to store, inexpensive shipping to home and no dates on returns as long as the tags are on. If you have your receipt, you can get it back for what you paid, if not, you'll get the latest selling price. I actually saw someone returning something from 2012.

I usually only shop at Old Navy for their basics, like tanks and layering items. I haven't had much luck with quality of recent purchases here. I do like Walmart's plus size section, but the good finds that I've had there are me browsing the clearance rack, which from your post, seems like something you'd want to avoid.
    Natalka, ROMEO, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My sister in law has found some good things at Alia here in our mall. There a little expensive but have good quality clothing. They seem to run good savings online.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

totally went to target today. was gonna go to old navy then I'm like hey target will close soon theres one next to old navy may as well... got an actual cart full of not just clothing but house stuff.. like 7 bags of cat food for like 20 bucks, purex for 3 bucks, shoes, pants for the bf, a video game, bath matt, smelly stuff, bedding all for... 120!!!!! so great!!!!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

That's great; glad you found clothing, and other stuff!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

for tops, you can get some great options at Joe Fresh, if you are in the X-1X range. They also carry some XXL here and there, but you see that size very rarely. The pants there are low rise, for women with no hips, avoid them if you have some curves.

Joe Fresh tshirts tend to be a teenie bit longer, which is nice, and the heavier weight Tshirt washes and wears amazingly! The Athletic and Yoga tshirts are even longer, so you get a really nice tummy and butt covering ft!

I have bought other tops and blouses from there and love them.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

The Bay clearance rack can be sort of decent as well. You can usually get some good deals twice a year when they are really clearing out winter and summer clothes.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information