User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree307Likes

Thread: Cleaning out the Freezer!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I am on the mission to clean out the freezer (the chest and the one in kitchen below fridge)
    Really want to use up the odds and ends and stuff that has been hanging around too long.
    Anyone care to join me?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    walkonby, thriftygranny and dededi like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Yesterday I rescued a big chunk of peameal bacon (Lou's brand- Reg $8.99 but found for $1.49 on clearance since it was expiring soon, I had grabbed a bunch Cooked it in the slowcooker (I'm a working mama) and served with perogies, Canned corn (stash to use up) and salad. Tonight is leftovers with salad.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Great thread idea FBM!! I pulled moose steaks from the freezer and dh is barbecuing them now, steamed kale with lemon and I pulled some Europes'best sweet potatoes from the freezer and sauted 2 cans of mushrooms from the pantry stockpile!
    Tomorrow I will be using up some frozen pizza crusts I got for free from the bakery I work at and use up a pack of pizza pepperoni that I picked up on clearance I have in the freezer.
    I really need to keep up with this so I can free up some space!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Luckily for me I only have the small fridge top freezer but I am doing the same thing. I fear if I had a big freezer i would lose things for years!-lol

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

It is so easy to forget about things in the freezer. I keep an inventory sheet taped to the top ad cross things off as I take them out.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Last night I pulled 2 cookies for DS's lunch today lol (hey it's a start haha) and a can of minute maid juice that I made up and it was perfect timing as my teen needed something. My kids drink water most of the time (and choc milk) but sometimes want a change)

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Tonight we are going out to dinner for a double date so youngest is eating at Grandma's and the oldest will pull a delissio pizza from the freezer

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Frugalbigmama I am sure many of the members here have the same freezer issues. We are so very good at finding awesome deals and placing them in the deep freeze......tick tock, before we know it the thing is full. This is something I need to join in on.
    I am not really cooking for the guys anymore, BUT I have been dropping many hints to them about all the awesome cuts of meat that are in the freezer just waiting for them to thaw and cook. Slowly I have been forcing myself to use up all the gluten free tortilla, pizza crusts , and English Muffins I had taking up precious space.
    Great thread!!

babies teach us acceptance

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Great action item. If only I could stop buying groceries, this would be easier.
    Good luck.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It is so surprising what you find when you clean it out. I found stuff i don't even remember buying.

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

LOL!!!!! We have 2 freezers plus the fridge freezer! Image the treasures! I started looking yesterday and this morning will be making some cabbage soup. This is what in found in the freezer: Chicken bones with some meat attached, 2 margarine containers of crushed tomatoes that i froze last fall, 1 small container of salsa that i froze, 1/2 head of parboiled cabbage, opened bag of arctic gardens spaghetti vegetables. So i guess im making soup this morning!

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Made a huge pot of chicken stock, cleaned the bones and then added everything. My vegie cabbage soup turned out fantastic. The whole house smelled great, added all the above in previous post plus 1 large onion, 1 diced carrot, lots of whole peppercorns, 2 cloves garlic, salt to taste. Yummy!!!!!!!!!!! I have so much soup, i need to freeze some! lol. There goes the freezer clean up! Going to call s-i-l to come and get some soup. He loves homemade soups.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Last night I used some frozen sauerkraut , rye bread and some Swatrzies Montreal smoked meat from the freezer and made Reuben sandwiches. I also used some hasbrowns from the freezer for the boys for breakfast!!
    WWill use up some bacon tonight as we are having breakfast for supper.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I pulled ground pork and Turkey last night from freezer and made burger patties today for lunch on the bbq. Then cleaned out the garage so guess what we are having for dinner. Leftover burgers! So glad I cooked them all a lunch! Cook once eat twice! Will make salad and KD for whoever wants what. I'm pooped lol. Hope to get 2nd wind to take a look at deep freeze and plan the week!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Since we cleaned out the garage yesterday I could take a peek in the freezer in there last night since I could get to it without moving crap! So it is really going down which I am happy about because I want to empty it and unplug it and give it away. It's old and probably sucking up hydro! I can store stuff in my mom's when I find deals so that is the plan. I want to start really shopping/meal planning better and find sometimes I enjoy the shopping part and not the cooking part of it lol.
    So the deep freezer has about 10 bags of frozen fruit (smoothies) 2 are blueberries for the plan to make muffins
    1 Peameal chunk, 2 packages bacon, large beef roast, bag of freezer burnt chicken breast, 10 cans minute maid juice and 6 large containers of cottage cheese and 1 frozen pizza for oldest DS.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information