• 7 Post By walkonby
  • 3 Post By SnowFlakey
  • 3 Post By Cake
  • 2 Post By dededi
  • 1 Post By Frugalbigmama

Thread: Question about Letting kids play outside unsupervised

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm just wondering at what age you have let your kids play outside unsupervised. Is it different if they are in your yard compared to riding a bike on the sidewalk? Do you let them go to a friends yard? I'm trying to gage people's perspectives.

My youngest ds is 5 and has 2 friends down the street 4 houses down and 7 houses down. Currently we (the parents) will all be outside in our own yards as the kids go between or we all end up in front of the middle house chatting.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

not an easy answer since so many variables today - busy street with people speeding in their cars, scary strangers -- you've heard all the stories in the news...
    easiest answer is to have the other children come to your home and all the children play in the backyard
    Candini and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

I struggle with this everyday I like to be outside with them especially if they are in the front. When riding bikes I like them to stay corner to corner where I can see them. The older ones want to go around the block but I panic from one min thr turn til they pop out the other end so I d rather they didn't
    Im no help lol
    I try to take them.out and anout walk when we can and to the park often especially now the weather is nice again
    Last edited by Anna Michele; Sat, Apr 18th, 2015 at 11:01 PM.
    Shwa Girl and dededi like this.
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

To my recollection, I don't think I let my DS out of my sight until he was at least 16!!! LOLOLOL! Kidding! Seriously, I never was comfortable if I could not see him when he was playing outside as a youngster. I think I started to give a little more freedom when he hit maybe 8- 9 ish or so. I have to admit was the very overprotective type.
    Shwa Girl, Anna Michele and dededi like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by maggiespice View Post
    To my recollection, I don't think I let my DS out of my sight until he was at least 16!!! LOLOLOL! Kidding! Seriously, I never was comfortable if I could not see him when he was playing outside as a youngster. I think I started to give a little more freedom when he hit maybe 8- 9 ish or so. I have to admit was the very overprotective type.
    thanks, I needed to hear that! ( until he was at least 16!! ) I was kind of a hovering parent as well with my 3, but you know what? They are precious and it was my job to protect them so they never strayed too far out of my sight.

OP whatever you feel comfortable with should be the guide. Other parents rules and practices just may be either too strict or too relaxed. Good luck.

babies teach us acceptance

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Hard question to answer. You need to consider what kind of street you live on. If it is a quiet street with only the résidents using it, then i would say let your child go to their friends place only if you are there to Watch them leave and arrive. Make sure the other child`s parents do the same.

Ifyou live on a busy street, definitely do not let your child go alone until about 8-9 years old and watch them arrive.

At which age should we start to grant them freedoms? Tough question, but im a believer that minor freedoms should be granted early, one freedom at a time. Yes, you will worry and be a pack of nerve but children need to learn and gain confidence.
    Shwa Girl, Anna Michele and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

We live on the river. I think he was 12 before he was allowed in the backyard alone...LOL

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Really tough one. My DDS were always supervised until about 10, and then only allowed to go to friends houses if they called me when they got there. We lived near a park and always worried if they wanted to take that as a short cut to a friends house. I was so bad when my oldest got her license at 19 i couldn't sleep until she got home.
    SnowFlakey and Anna Michele like this.

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Above all, it would be at the parent`s discretion. They know their children best. There are no set rules.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Cake View Post
    We live on the river. I think he was 12 before he was allowed in the backyard alone...LOL
    When we lived on the river we had a 2-tiered yard. DS was not allowed on the river tier without an adult and his lifejacket. He wasn't allowed outside alone regardless but the lifejacket was a must. I wasn't taking any chances. ( he was 5 when we moved but I'm sure I would have never let him on the river tier alone till he was 16 either lol)
    Last edited by Frugalbigmama; Thu, Apr 23rd, 2015 at 10:47 AM.
    SnowFlakey likes this.

Thread Information