• 2 Post By SassyAshley
  • 2 Post By crafter
  • 1 Post By Natalka
  • 1 Post By sweet sparrow
  • 2 Post By barbis9

Thread: Quality of groceries

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Last week, I bought the BOGO whole chicken at Metro at roughly $7.50 per chicken. I'm very disappointed by the quality. I cooked it the day I bought it, but smelled a bit old when it carved it. The texture was a bit mushy too. It's probably still safe to eat.

I think Metro's quality is lower. Well, I mean it is at the bargain level comparable to No Frills or Food Basics, but they market themselves as a mid-level store like Loblaws or Sobeys. Used to be so good when it was A&P. I really need to stop shopping there.

Kept hearing food prices has gone up 236% this year but I haven't noticed any changes in my grocery bill. I have a strong suspicion that it is because I'm actually buying lower quality food. I have had bitter (spoiled) broccoli twice this summer! I also noticed that Metro carries only AA or lower grade beef, while half of the beef at Sobeys are AAA grade. Since there aren't any system for chicken, pork or produce, there is no way to tell if I'm getting lower quality.

Here at SC we discuss a lot about prices and customer services, does anyone have opinion on quality? Which brands or stores offer good quality?
    This thread is currently associated with: Food Basics, Loblaws, Metro, No Frills, Sobeys

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I think it depends from store to store and the manager there. Canada has very lax restrictions on re-wrapping meat or treating the appearance so that it looks better. There was a CBC Marketplace report on it. I'm not sure there's a way to guarantee quality unless you know the department manager.

Newfiescreech, Purdee and barbis9 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I find the boneless/skinless chicken breasts at Atlantic Superstore look like products out of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.....the cuts are awful. I have since switched to buying my meats at Wal-Mart because I was told that if you don't like the meat/taste/etc, you can get a full refund by bringing back the container/packaging. COSTCO also has the same policy (even if you ate most of it).

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I have found the quality of chicken and pork to be awful sometimes at Food Basics which is owned by Metro. I buy all my meat (when it is on sale) at Fortinos and freeze it.
    Newfiescreech and dededi like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Last time (a year or two ago now) when Metro has Chicken Breast on sale they were horrible, they were not butchered properly and I was extremely disappointed. Although they cost more I am willing to pay a premium and only buy from Costco or RCSS if the blue menu ones are on sale to get a better quality.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mulock View Post
    I find the boneless/skinless chicken breasts at Atlantic Superstore look like products out of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.....the cuts are awful. I have since switched to buying my meats at Wal-Mart because I was told that if you don't like the meat/taste/etc, you can get a full refund by bringing back the container/packaging. COSTCO also has the same policy (even if you ate most of it).
    Good to know. Where did you see this refund policy? Would love to print it out.
    I returned unopened chicken breasts that had a really "bad stench" to Walmart. I did receive a refund but the customer service clerks appeared to have never encountered a return on meat/poultry. It would've been nice to have the policy handy.
    3.50 125.00 30.00

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I don't even think it's so much which chain it is, as much as the individual store sometimes. When we had two Safeway stores near us, one was great for meat, the other crap.

We pretty much only buy fresh meat either from Sobeys or the Co-op. I would never buy fresh meat from Superstore or Walmart.
    Newfiescreech likes this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

My friend had a bad experience at Fortinos and hasn't bought meat there since.

I purchased a package of chicken breasts from the meat counter at RCSS and when I took it home, DH said there were several pieces that were freezer burnt. The butcher packaged it in the brown paper and DH was finished cooking and tossing out the freezer burnt pieces in the compost by the time he told me. RCSS said if I brought it back with receipt, they would refund my money, but as we had already eaten it for dinner, that wasn't possible.

Quote Originally Posted by crafter View Post
    Good to know. Where did you see this refund policy? Would love to print it out.
    I returned unopened chicken breasts that had a really "bad stench" to Walmart. I did receive a refund but the customer service clerks appeared to have never encountered a return on meat/poultry. It would've been nice to have the policy handy.
    @crafter : It's posted in store. Look for a large blue sign that says Satisfaction Guarantee on it near or above the entrance doors. I'm sure you can snap a photo of it.
    Newfiescreech likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Wow! That video explains why I found mold on a birthday cake. Will think twice....scary video.

Thread Information