User Tag List

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree626Likes

Thread: What's in your Herb / Vegetable garden?

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

My Arugula is about to flower,my Komatsuna and Mizuna already have (saving seeds from these) and my Kale is growing a central leader,so it won't be far behind.I have been trying to dig up some of the weeds that have grown over the winter so they won't set seed,too. I should have put in peas,lettuce and spinach by now,but work and weather have conspired against me.I'm working all through the coming week,and it's going to be MAY out there if the forecast is right http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-3_metric_e.html . I might just give in and pay to have my little Mantis tiller repaired-it has a carburetor problem of some sort and won't start.I feel like I'm falling behind fast.
    Ciel and GoJays like this.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Our 'salad' garden by the back porch is starting to look a little filled in now. Spent a good part of the morning working in the gorgeous (now 20 degrees) sunshine. Transplanted lettuce from starter pots to the garden, thinned out the kale, planted spinach and planted the bok choy (first was on the counter growing roots and then planted into a pot and now planted into the garden.

Planted marigolds into a pot on the patio. The tomato and pepper plants I started indoors are growing nicely. I do take them indoors but otherwise they are loving the sunshine.

I still have trouble with neighbourhood cats digging in the garden. I bought four long plastic snakes - wow, do they look real - lets see if this will scare the cats....so far so good
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    Our 'salad' garden by the back porch is starting to look a little filled in now. Spent a good part of the morning working in the gorgeous (now 20 degrees) sunshine. Transplanted lettuce from starter pots to the garden, thinned out the kale, planted spinach and planted the bok choy (first was on the counter growing roots and then planted into a pot and now planted into the garden.

Planted marigolds into a pot on the patio. The tomato and pepper plants I started indoors are growing nicely. I do take them indoors but otherwise they are loving the sunshine.

I still have trouble with neighbourhood cats digging in the garden. I bought four long plastic snakes - wow, do they look real - lets see if this will scare the cats....so far so good
    My mother has a problem with pigeons lol She has fake owls all over the place.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post

Mirrors and chicken wire under soil are other ideas that might help you to keep the local cats out of your spaces.

Mark Cullen's recent column suggests possible superfoods one can plant this year:
    http://www.thestar.com/life/homes/20...grow-them.html
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Name:  IMG_0344.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  105.6 KB
    Stuck 6 more green onion roots in the dirt.
    The ice and snow is starting to melt, keeping them well watered!
    I'm set for awhile.
    Ciel likes this.
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Some open scilla clumps of flowers are on the lawn and yesterday I saw several more clusters sprouted but not yet open.
    Sadly the crocus clusters came up during the past two weeks and wilted quite quickly in the snow/rain spwinter weather, so no long shows of blooms for them in 2016.
    Still waiting on the tulips to show bulbs. This might be the week to see them!
    GoJays likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

The onions and garlic are coming up now. I also got my parsley, rosemary, and leek transplants put in a few days ago, and the things I started in "milk jugs greenhouses" outdoors in late March are doing well. I wish I'd known about this sooner! I have Swiss chard and kale transplants on the go already in raised beds that I started in the milk jugs. That's a month and a half earlier than I would normally have those things growing. The radish, pansies, second batch of parsley are going strong in the jugs. My cabbage was doing really well, too, until about two weeks ago, when some sort of little bug got at them and ate the seedlings!

Name:  garlic and greenhouses.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  89.0 KB
    Angela273 likes this.

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

Planted some basil, cilantro and chives the other day.....and planning on planting my fave carrot seeds (Aimers Organics Nantes Coreless) in a big pot on my balcony.
    Given up on tomatoes after about 5 unsuccessful years of trying various methods.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Trying a new tomato, "Sugary" which is a grape style.

If you have a cat/squirrel problem go to the Dollarama and buy about 300 bamboo skewers (long ones) and put them pointy side up through the soil. This will make it hard for them to dig and they will give up. We have 4 walnut trees that attract squirrels (and they gotta bury those walnuts somewhere) so it is a constant battle, and aside from BBQ grates over the soil allowing your plants to go through, it's the only sure-fire way to get them to stop. (lol sometimes the squirrels try to chew the bamboo skewers down but there's always more where they came from...YOU'LL NEVER WIN.)

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

I have onions, garlic and tomatoes planted in my flower-bed turned garden. Next weekend I hope to get potatoes, carrots, radishes and peppers plants done

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I'm looking forward to planting my garden. I finished cleaning up my raised vegetable garden plots yesterday. I then picked up a half to truck loan of beautifully composted sheep manure from a sheep farmer that I met earlier this month. He loaded me up for free and invited us back again to get more and bring our children out to see their various animals. I'm excited to see how my garden responds to all this nutrients. My brother is going to rotator till it for me this week.

I currently have green onions and red rhubarb thriving in the yard. I am going to plant red potatoes, tomatoes ($1 each at the Farmer's Market), Swiss chard, lettuce, radishes (small amounts in rotation), lots of peas (planted a couple weeks apart to lengthen the harvest), yellow wax beans, zucchini, cucumbers, dill. Our 3.5yr old son wants to grow some red flowers in his own section of the garden this year. He also wants to grow a giant bean stock so that he can get a giant. We will buy the flowers started. Any suggestions? They will likely be planted by the green onions where there is a good amount of sun.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Angela I would make a tall teepee out of some straight branches and plant scarlet runner beans. They grow really tall and have beautiful red flowers that attract humming birds. Your little guy will get his giant bean stock and red flowers and you will get beans!!
    Last edited by thriftygranny; Tue, May 17th, 2016 at 12:45 AM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    Angela I would make a tall teepee out of some straight branches and plant scarlet runner beans. They grow really tall and have beautiful red flowers that attract humming birds. Your little guy will get his giant bean stock and red flowers and you will get beans!!
    Oh wow, I'll have to try to find some seeds. I have tall bamboo steaks that should work for support. I'll add it to my list and see if I can find these breans where we live.

edit: I just looked them up on Amazon.ca in case I can't find any in town.

I bought 2 package at from WM for 1.89 each.
    Last edited by Angela273; Thu, May 19th, 2016 at 09:09 PM.
    ROMEO and thriftygranny like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I have never had a problem finding them at Walmart or Canadian tire, just picked up some last night!!
    ROMEO and Angela273 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Can't wait to dig in the garden this weekend So happy my muscles are off all weekend to help
    We are switching vehicles Friday so he can load up recycling bins with free dirt and mulch from the town in mine. (Bigger)
    Can't wait to see all the pictures!
    Momof3girlies and Angela273 like this.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information