User Tag List

Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree4146Likes

Thread: May Busy Beavers - May 2015 Frugal Chatter Thread

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Welcome and/or welcome back frugal friends,

menu planning, tips & tricks for saving money, encouragement and financial chitter chatter.

Wishing everyone a very frugal May.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by jasperandchar; Thu, Apr 30th, 2015 at 10:59 AM.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

reserved for goals/challenges
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

I'm trying very hard to keep an eye out on my food budget and avoid eating out at all costs. One great way I'm doing that is by making more meatless meals. You see, we only purchase our meat from a place that only sell hormone free, free range, etc meat and therefore costs more. My newest addiction is lentils. They are so good and they happen to be good for you,great source of protein and best of all......cheap!

My MIL has been introducing me to a few ways to prepare them and I'm loving them. I adore Indian food and have an amazingly easy and tasty recipe. I will make a huge batch and it will last in the fridge for days and then dinners are lentils with a side of rice for carbs and a salad for greens. Well balanced meals.

ETA: I will have paid off in full a CC by next week that we've been fighting with for a while. What a load off!
    Last edited by harbie; Thu, Apr 30th, 2015 at 04:57 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Do you want to share your amazing recipe Harbie? Sounds like a nice recipe for us all to consider trying.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I second that Harbie, I love lentils and Indian food, and make a few dishes but I always want to try new things!!

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

May goal...recalibrate budget including getting rid of deficit. Now that LOC is paid off (one my goals since Jan!) I will explain. At present we are using current pay for fixed expenses. Variable expenses have been going on the credit card and are paid back with next pay. There was a time this happened for all expenses and we got out of it. I would like to get back to current pay = money budgeted for ALL expenses. We have a budget and all costs are covered, but there is a lag. I don't like spending tomorrow's money and want to get back to freedom.

We have money in savings we could use to get ahead. I would rather keep that money there and "struggle" (be frugal, go on a spending diet...etc) to get back in check. All of this was due to under budgeting heating in the new home and unexpected pay shortfall in January. Months of work to correct.

Anyway, have to get course work down. DD#1 has thrown up twice tonight. I am stressed (and queasy) at the thought of illness going through the whole house again with everything on my plate. Good news is that laundry, dishes, routine chores are all caught up and ready for disaster if necessary. Both girls bathed, hair pulled back tightly with towels on the beds and buckets ready to go...as ready as one can be.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Granger View Post
    May goal...recalibrate budget including getting rid of deficit. Now that LOC is paid off (one my goals since Jan!) I will explain. At present we are using current pay for fixed expenses. Variable expenses have been going on the credit card and are paid back with next pay. There was a time this happened for all expenses and we got out of it. I would like to get back to current pay = money budgeted for ALL expenses. We have a budget and all costs are covered, but there is a lag. I don't like spending tomorrow's money and want to get back to freedom.

We have money in savings we could use to get ahead. I would rather keep that money there and "struggle" (be frugal, go on a spending diet...etc) to get back in check. All of this was due to under budgeting heating in the new home and unexpected pay shortfall in January. Months of work to correct.

Anyway, have to get course work down. DD#1 has thrown up twice tonight. I am stressed (and queasy) at the thought of illness going through the whole house again with everything on my plate. Good news is that laundry, dishes, routine chores are all caught up and ready for disaster if necessary. Both girls bathed, hair pulled back tightly with towels on the beds and buckets ready to go...as ready as one can be.

Oh, goodness, Granger, I sure hope everyone stays healthy and nothing runs through your home. I'm pretty sure when I was a young Mom that I was just as busy, but from this angle, I can't begin to fathom that pace of life anymore! Stay well, Sweetie!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Oh Granger I feel for you, hoping the flu stays contained. On the upside it is the weekend tomorrow so if you do all partake it will be over the weekend.......

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Course assignments are now done for the week. I will have to comment on others' work over the weekend (low maintenance with only one other participant). I do still have to write up a lesson plan for tomorrow that is part of the practicum portion of the course. I will do that as soon as I am done this post. Then hitting the hay and hoping for wellness. DD#1 has not been sick since she went to bed.

I came back to post a link about the student in my class who died in January. There was an article about her in the paper today and I thought I would share her goodness to help me keep things in perspective.

RIP Zoe: http://www.thespec.com/news-story/55...CYw30.facebook

I will be seeing her dad and mom again with a few colleagues next week or the following to provide them continued support as they grieve. Dad came to visit me on the 3 month anniversary at school. 5 month anniversary is report card day and I plan to give him a report card of memories (one for each subject from last year!).
    Last edited by Granger; Thu, Apr 30th, 2015 at 10:56 PM.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Granger, thanks for sharing that - what a wonderful young woman she was, and it's just so sad she passed...

---------

Love the name of the May thread! I may not always be a busy beaver, but sure used to be when I was younger and healthy!

My biggest goal this month is the kitchen. We are in a teeny, tiny house with a teeny, tiny kitchen. Even though we downsized, there is just no room there to put anything, it seems. We are maxxed out on shelving, but I really have to figure out something better because it's just not working as it is. I don't stockpile much, but we need to have SOME non-perishables, and space is just at a premium.
    Let alone I just miss having 'nice' stuff out, if anyone knows what I mean. There is absolutely nothing decorative... and that doesn't make me happy.

April disappeared SO quickly, hoping May doesn't zoom by as fast!

Hope everyone has a great start to the month - a great Friday, and a wonderful weekend!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

TGIF!! And May already wow! I need to stop and smell the roses because I don't want to let Spring and Summer pass by me. Going to a school event tonight for DS. Then NOTHING tomorrow but hang around the house! Woohoooo! So happy about that. Sunday youngest has 2 sport practices lol. He will be a tired boy Sunday evening which means bath and bed early I left the house with a clean kitchen and DS and I even emptied the dishwasher this morning. Had a pick up yesterday for $7 (it was $6 but she left $7 ) Re-posted a bunch of stuff this morning so hopefully get a sale or 2 arranged today. Will keep at it tomorrow morning and clean up the "stuff for sale" room. Looking forward to this beautiful weekend we are suppose to have. Oh and for sure a bike ride tomorrow. Told DS we would go to DQ and the park (his brother is busy with a school event all day) Good thing my wonderful man brought my bike in to get fixed and its ready for pick up (oldest DS took it "jumping" at the end of last season and ruined my tire But good as new now Have a great day everyone and enjoy the sunshine!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Granger, thanks for sharing that - what a wonderful young woman she was, and it's just so sad she passed...

---------

Love the name of the May thread! I may not always be a busy beaver, but sure used to be when I was younger and healthy!

My biggest goal this month is the kitchen. We are in a teeny, tiny house with a teeny, tiny kitchen. Even though we downsized, there is just no room there to put anything, it seems. We are maxxed out on shelving, but I really have to figure out something better because it's just not working as it is. I don't stockpile much, but we need to have SOME non-perishables, and space is just at a premium.
    Let alone I just miss having 'nice' stuff out, if anyone knows what I mean. There is absolutely nothing decorative... and that doesn't make me happy.

April disappeared SO quickly, hoping May doesn't zoom by as fast!

Hope everyone has a great start to the month - a great Friday, and a wonderful weekend!

Ugh, Nat, isn't downsizing a b#tch!? We sold our 3300 sq ft home to our DD and bought her semi and even after 5 years I still don't feel organized! My spice shelf, in particular, attacks me every time I reach in there! Our 3rd bedroom, our dressing room, seems to be the "toss in" room that absorbs everything that enters the house, and is the "temporary" deposit points for stuff that's waiting to find a home! I'm only semi-mobile, and can't demolish a room and start over, but that spice shelf? It's days are numbered!!
    Good luck finding more space, Nat.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Thanks for sharing Granger, what a sad story. Her poor parents, I am sure they appreciate the contact they have with you to help with the healing process.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Good morning, everyone.

Had an interesting couple of days with my Mom (she had jury duty, so stayed with me so she wouldn't have to commute 1+hrs each way). Brats are annoyed they are no longer being spoiled & fed non-stop.

Better get back to consoling the brats.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi ladies. I've been a lurker on this thread for a long time and I hope you don't mind if I join in every once in a while.
    @Granger - the article you posted was absolutely beautiful. How heartbreaking for those parents. I can't even imagine. What a beautiful young lady @Natalka - I too have a little kitchen and you're right, it appears there is not enough counter space nor shelf space. Had DH build me shelves in the basement so that's where I keep my stockpile/pantry. Not convenient but there's really not much I can do. I DO KNOW what you mean about putting some pretty stuff on display, however it just simply cannot be done in our kitchen. The layout is also not that great.

Have a good day ladies.

Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information