User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Your advice please on choosing an angel memorial marker

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Hey, I couldn't find a really suitable place to post this as I was just looking for some idle chit chat and opinions from my SC friends. And well this could fit into a gardeny topic.

My Grandmother and my Great Grandmother are buried side by side with about 5ft between them and they both have your typical granite headstones.
    My mom has always wanted to get an angel to be placed between the two, but seeing as we lost them between 5-10 years ago. I think this idea has long been put on the back burner. My mom has just finished her masters and had to relocate temporarily to do an unpaid practicum and really traveled light and purged a lot of stuff before it went into storage. She is now "between places" as she applies for jobs all over Canada. So, she really doesn't need or want anything more to pack around with here. So with Mothers Day approaching, I have decided to get the angel on her behalf and have it shipped directly to my Auntie (her sister) who is local to the cemetery as I don't know when mom will be making a trip there. Then I will present her with pictures and maybe a gift certificate to have a plaque made with her words. This will honour 3 mothers on mothers day and I am really impressed with my plan. (If I can give my self a pat on the back!)

So these are the angels I most like, but I am concerned they might not be appropriate for a cemetery seeing as they are nude.

1: http://www.amazon.ca/Design-Toscano-...+Toscano+angel

2: http://www.amazon.ca/Design-Toscano-...+Toscano+angel

3: http://www.amazon.ca/Design-Toscano-...+Toscano+angel

But I really love them as the art and detail in the wings will be appreciated by my mom who is now an art therapist with her masters degree!! The others I was looking at would be less offensive, but too cherib like or too religious with crosses or bibles in their hands.

What does everyone think?
    This thread is currently associated with: Amazon.ca & Amazon.com
    Opening a fee-free Tangerine account using my Orange key: 43034602S1 You will receive a $50 bonus from Tangerine. Get another $25 bonus when opening a Savings account and making automatic deposits for 6 months AND get another $25 from me! PM me for details.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Our DD has a Toscano Angel (not an original, lol) on her fireplace mantel and it's beautiful!
    Either the first or second are lovely...the third...um...perhaps "revealing" too much?

What a beautiful thing you're doing....!!!!
    Let us know what you decide, please?
    vw_girl likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Thank you for the feedback, especially about your daughters angel! I am so glad to hear that the beauty and quality is there. These are resin copies which I think will be light to ship and will withstand the elements well. My uncle is very handy and could rig up something to keep them semi-permanent or from "flying off".

The first and the second are my favorites as well. I believe these come in a larger size which would fill the gap between the graves better. Or perhaps I will get one of each and place beside each headstone. I've also got my Aunt contacting the cemetery caretaker to see if there are any restrictions but this is a very small parcel of land out in the middle of farms in Weyburn, Sask so I doubt that it gets many visitors or has too many "rules".
    Lynn49 likes this.
    Opening a fee-free Tangerine account using my Orange key: 43034602S1 You will receive a $50 bonus from Tangerine. Get another $25 bonus when opening a Savings account and making automatic deposits for 6 months AND get another $25 from me! PM me for details.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

congrats to your Mum on her master's
    your grandmother and great grandmother would be proud
    and good on ya for your Mother's day idea --it's a good one
    Lynn49 and vw_girl like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Very proud of her! Especially Great grandma as she was her biggest fan. And so am I! She has been studying and writing papers for so long as she completed this as a part time student while working full/time up North for a very small community. Thanks for your feedback Shwa Girl. So you dont think the first 2 would be offensive to others?
    Lynn49 and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vw_girl View Post
    Very proud of her! Especially Great grandma as she was her biggest fan. And so am I! She has been studying and writing papers for so long as she completed this as a part time student while working full/time up North for a very small community. Thanks for your feedback Shwa Girl. So you dont think the first 2 would be offensive to others?
    I have seen Angel#2 and Angel#3 before. Any one you choose will be fine.
    Your Mum may want to try the federal government website for jobs or the provincial government website where she is.
    federal government: http://jobs-emplois.gc.ca/index-eng.htm
    even if she can't get full time, she can look at the graduates tab and apply for a contract
    they can observe her during the contract and either extend the contract or hire her full time
    due to increased retirements coming up in the next few years (baby boomer retirements), it may be an awesome time for her finding jobs
    Lynn49 and terry2144 like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

What a thoughtful idea!

The ones you chose are beautiful and arty, but I'm wondering whether this would be more appropriate

http://www.amazon.ca/Divine-Guidance...A2LPT0EKY7H53F

I like this one as well

http://www.amazon.ca/Natures-Blessin...7F6M321XJNPWCG
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    I have seen Angel#2 and Angel#3 before. Any one you choose will be fine.
    Your Mum may want to try the federal government website for jobs or the provincial government website where she is.
    federal government: http://jobs-emplois.gc.ca/index-eng.htm
    even if she can't get full time, she can look at the graduates tab and apply for a contract
    they can observe her during the contract and either extend the contract or hire her full time
    due to increased retirements coming up in the next few years (baby boomer retirements), it may be an awesome time for her finding jobs
    Thank you for your thoughtful link and info. She has been working for the federal government for the last 10-12 years in isolated communities doing suicide counselling, drug and alcohol counselling and art workshops (which she does and gets paid in art supplies hahaha It works for her!) I know that is where she would prefer to be but her last job would not give her a 9 month leave to complete the practicum she needed. So she had to resign, I know she is hoping or a similar listing soon and will be watching those sites. It is also very expensive to relocate up there as depending on the time of year everything has to either be flown in or barged in. I keep telling her to look in Australia or Mexico
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Ohhhh I don't mind the 2nd link you posted at all Natalka! I am going to put it on my short list. I will eventually send the list to my aunt since she will be looking after the placement and also knows better what the community will bear. But knowing her I could see her saying, "Ti hell with what other people think he he he I love my family!

Plus, I just like having a good little discussion about something not shopping once in awhile too and hearing other people opinions.
    Natalka and Lynn49 like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

What a beautiful idea. I love number 2. Congrats to your Mom!
    Lynn49 and vw_girl like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@vw girl.....the second one Natalka posted is absolutely beautiful and out of your 3 choices, I preferred the 3rd one. Now I don't want to put a damper on your plan because your plan is absolutely beautiful however you may want to check with the cemetery before you do anything. I can only speak of the cemetery where my parents are buried and they do not permit anything on the lawn between stones because they need to do their yard work (mow the lawn, cut shrubs, etc.) and any statues would be in the way. Hope you don't have that issue because your plan is lovely.
    vw_girl likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by toronto166 View Post
    @vw girl.....the second one Natalka posted is absolutely beautiful and out of your 3 choices, I preferred the 3rd one. Now I don't want to put a damper on your plan because your plan is absolutely beautiful however you may want to check with the cemetery before you do anything. I can only speak of the cemetery where my parents are buried and they do not permit anything on the lawn between stones because they need to do their yard work (mow the lawn, cut shrubs, etc.) and any statues would be in the way. Hope you don't have that issue because your plan is lovely.
    Thanks for your choices! I am still sooo undecided. lol And yes the caretaker is involved. My Auntie is in the same town and is taking care of that part and will have the final choice approved, but so far we haven't had any restrictions with the initial plan that we requested, Its a very small parcel of land and does not have much to maintain and very few are buried there.
    toronto166 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by vw_girl View Post
    Thanks for your choices! I am still sooo undecided. lol And yes the caretaker is involved. My Auntie is in the same town and is taking care of that part and will have the final choice approved, but so far we haven't had any restrictions with the initial plan that we requested, Its a very small parcel of land and does not have much to maintain and very few are buried there.
    Perfect!!! Then you're all set. Good luck with whatever choice you make.
    vw_girl likes this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

What a thoughtful idea! Kudos to you! And to your mom as well.

I'm sure whatever Angel you decide will be perfect.

Personally I like the 2 Natalka posted for a grave site a bit better than the 3 originally listed, but out of those three I like #3 best. I'm not a big fan of "side boob" though so that may be why. lol.

However as I said before I'm sure which ever you pick will be perfect!
    Natalka and vw_girl like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Wow, what a great daugther you are. What ever you chose it will be very nice. As for my choice, I really like #3. Thank VW_Girl you for sharing a wonderful brag..........................................

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information