User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree296Likes

Thread: No perfume allowed! Perfume free zone!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

So yesterday we were in our watercolour painting class, gathered around a fella's painting with our teacher who was pointing things out, when this one gal pipes out, "Is anyone wearing perfume here?", and another gal says, "Oh. It might be me...I have a scented moisturizer on..."...."I'm having trouble breathing.....but (sighs), it's fine.......(sighs)..."

You know? I'm getting so tired of people complaining about scents!!! Yes, yes, I know, as an asthmatic I can understand how it can affect some people, but what's going on in the world, exactly?! I remember going to church and functions as a kid and this woman was reeking of roses, another of lilacs, yet another of something exotic, and no one ever complained!

So my question is.....how did this all start and why is it an issue these days? I love my perfumes yet can only wear them when I'm with family or other functions? Or shopping?!

I noticed that the gal with the scented moisturizer just smiled when she "confessed" to her crime, but didn't apologize; I'm guessing she's as fed up with it all as I am........
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Lynn, it all came about as with all the other things like this - about some people just being too 'precious' and them just wanting the world their way.
    Andit, Tweets77, Lynn49 and 4 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Lynn I know the feeling of being on both sides of that. For many years when I was young I felt choked out when ever I hugged any Aunties, or other relatives ( I was convinced they doused themselves in their favourite scents ) and truly I just never wore any perfume till I was in my very late 20's.
    Then I found a few I LOVED! They were unique, I swore by them. I used them with no issues until all this " no scents in the workplace " rule came about, then sadly I was restricted to only spritzing on the weekends, and I had to be sure I was not going anywhere I'd bother anyone. ( btw, I DO NOT use a lot either, so that part bugs me )

I wonder if this has affected sales of high end fragrances?

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    So yesterday we were in our watercolour painting class, gathered around a fella's painting with our teacher who was pointing things out, when this one gal pipes out, "Is anyone wearing perfume here?", and another gal says, "Oh. It might be me...I have a scented moisturizer on..."...."I'm having trouble breathing.....but (sighs), it's fine.......(sighs)..."

You know? I'm getting so tired of people complaining about scents!!! Yes, yes, I know, as an asthmatic I can understand how it can affect some people, but what's going on in the world, exactly?! I remember going to church and functions as a kid and this woman was reeking of roses, another of lilacs, yet another of something exotic, and no one ever complained!

So my question is.....how did this all start and why is it an issue these days? I love my perfumes yet can only wear them when I'm with family or other functions? Or shopping?!

I noticed that the gal with the scented moisturizer just smiled when she "confessed" to her crime, but didn't apologize; I'm guessing she's as fed up with it all as I am........
    I don't understand how the paint fumes were o.k. for that person but perfume was not.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Wow...thank you Natalka, Walks...I thought I'd get slammed for being "insensitive"!! LOL!!! Nat, this gal was only slightly older than me, but looks like she weighs about 80lbs! EAT!!! Was my thought!!!! For heaven's sake....!

ShwaGirl, watercolour has no scent, so I guess that's her chosen medium...

Walks, yes, some gals back then did tend to douse themselves in the stuff, but like you, I have a few high-end perfumes I just adore and I wear them for MY benefit because I love the scent, and like you I certainly don't douse myself in it.

I still wear it shopping or going out for dinner and if anyone tells me not to, I swear someone's going to get hurt!!!!

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Perfumes and scents do not only effect breathing. I personally have a number of allergies that are set off by certain scents it is so bad I cannot even walk in front of The Body Shop or Bath Works without sneezing and an instant headache which if left in the situations with the scent it very quickly becomes a migraine. It can be horrible to the point that I have had to ask to be moved in restaurants or even leave as I can barely keep my eyes open and it feels like my check bones are about to pop out of my face.

No one wants to be the person to tell someone else they cannot do something but I have had to bring it up to family members that if they continue to wear certain scents I will have to stop attending family functions as by the time dinner is done I cannot even drive myself home.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

As well I forgot to add I have even had physical allergic reactions. I once tried on a jacket in store someone else had the moment I got it on I realized there was perfume on and took it off immediately but still everywhere part of skin that jacket touched I broke out Hives and a Rash due to something in the perfume.

By no means are we trying to be mean but it is something we cannot control. I wish I could it would make things so much easier at times, do I enjoy leaving a store because someone's perfume is setting off my allergies no, do I enjoy having to leave a restaurant and making the rest of my party leave before we done because it is crowded and they can't move us no.

I believe most places have gone scent free out of common courtesy. Not to sound rude but does not being able to wear perfume ruin your experience dinning out? For me someone wearing the wrong scent does ruin my experience as it may force me to leave without even having our meal.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I can see both sides.

I have higher end perfumes that I love and wear for special occasions. I don't wear very much and not often because I suffer horrible allergies and severe asthma. I have the same reaction to heavy perfume as I do with smoke - I start wheezing, my eyes water and itch, and I develop a head ache. It's awful. Luckily my symptoms aren't as severe as some people and it's only if the scent is really strong in a very close proximity.

I think the key is MODERATION. Unfortunately it isn't always common sense for people. You grow accustom to your own scent so some people add more even though others can smell it perfectly. I think that's where the problem occurs. So for me, as annoying as it is I can understand why some environments have the no scent rule.

DH used to douse himself in cologne. I hated it. Now if he knows we're going somewhere nice/special he'll put a few sprays of cologne on the shirt he's planning to wear that morning then hangs it up in the downstairs bathroom (in his man cave). By the time the event comes most of the scent is gone and what's left is a nice subtle scent. I love that! He smells so nice when it's just a small amount. No need to bathe in the stuff.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have allergies to something in perfumes, I get migraines and hives. I don't have a problem with cleaners or any other scents. I work at a school so sometimes I have to hold my breathe as I walk through the hallways. I ask the kids not to spray in the hall if I see them do it because most of the time they spray way too much and they try to spray each other for fun. (a real shower works better that a perfume shower) I've also asked my coworkers in my office not to spray in there only. I do like the smell of some perfumes but I never wear any. I use scented talc. It mainly just bothers me while it's in the air or if I have to sit next to someone heavily sprayed.
    Andit, avoncallingu, ticul and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

I was written up in a WSIB report at work with a scent complaint. It was minus 10 degrees in January, I was outside wearing my winter coat standing 20 feet from the person who reacted. I was not wearing any scented sprays or lotions (as I know it is scent free workplace). I was wearing antiperspirant.

My thoughts:
    -there are people out there with severe allergies to scents (including this person)
    -there are people who take things too far for attention, especially if they are suffering (including this person)
    -just as we need to be sensitive to allergies of others, so do those with the allergies need to be sensitive to others without them
    -people with extreme scent allergies can be set off by shampoo, detergents, hand soap that others use in their homes (it is a battle of rights!)
    -I felt unfairly attacked and went to my union for advice...they gave me good advice...reach out to this person...I did...and I am one of the few people on staff they are friendly too...they also advised me to write a letter saying "I was not wearing scent on January __, 2014" to be filed with the report and I did.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

I see your point lynn -I have a few nice scents and only spray a little
    -I do have a lot of allergies and if someone heavily douses themselves I can start to cough around that person-its very annoying and I use to work with the public and the extreme scents or too much do get to me

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Granger View Post
    I was written up in a WSIB report at work with a scent complaint. It was minus 10 degrees in January, I was outside wearing my winter coat standing 20 feet from the person who reacted. I was not wearing any scented sprays or lotions (as I know it is scent free workplace). I was wearing antiperspirant.

My thoughts:
    -there are people out there with severe allergies to scents (including this person)
    -there are people who take things too far for attention, especially if they are suffering (including this person)
    -just as we need to be sensitive to allergies of others, so do those with the allergies need to be sensitive to others without them
    -people with extreme scent allergies can be set off by shampoo, detergents, hand soap that others use in their homes (it is a battle of rights!)
    -I felt unfairly attacked and went to my union for advice...they gave me good advice...reach out to this person...I did...and I am one of the few people on staff they are friendly too...they also advised me to write a letter saying "I was not wearing scent on January __, 2014" to be filed with the report and I did.
    What a crummy experience, Granger...I agree, anything can set some people off but I won't be bullied into wearing unscented body lotions....where is this going to stop?! I love my perfumes and don't douse myself in it and if someone with extreme allergies passes by me in a mall then they should be wearing a mask in public! I've seen 2 gals who are in the malls shopping who are doing just that each time I see them. They're protecting themselves, not asking the world to comply with their demands for a scent-free world!
    strew, Andit, avoncallingu and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    I see your point lynn -I have a few nice scents and only spray a little
    -I do have a lot of allergies and if someone heavily douses themselves I can start to cough around that person-its very annoying and I use to work with the public and the extreme scents or too much do get to me
    Like you, I also have allergies and if someone has doused themselves in perfume (teenage boys with Axe! Wow!!), I put my hand over my nose and mouth and walk by...you can smell them a mile away! But a little perfume? I won't stop wearing it in public. I won't wear it in watercolour class now that I know she's allergic because we share a classroom together, but in public? I'll continue to wear my perfume.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    183 (100%)

Here's my two cents .... never had allergies until age 30 .... initially it was specific drugs - penicillan and then antibiotics; then some plants - specific trees (for me they were trees in the birch family) then later foods (including raw carrots and celery) ...and later still allergens related to scents ..... I've had people at work use a hand lotion from bath and body works that makes me start vibrating and feeling like there's a truck on my chest Where I've had to take an antihistamine and then being tired for the rest of the day.

The perfumes don't put me over the top necessarily but the "cheaper" (god knows what they exactly put in them?) scents from B&B works just wreck my day (same with the car scent stuff - I've tried them and had to stop the car and throw them out as I get an automatic migraine from them) ..... It's not in my head - and there are many scents that don't cause a problem at all.. Apart from certain scents I am also incredibly sensitive to "lillies" .... I basically have to leave my job if someone receives a bouquet with lilies .... I have some in my garden but because they are outside I'm not so sensitive to them - but can't have a lily inside Okay I admit I'm a PITA .... but wouldn't have chosen to be this way

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

I`d much rather choke on perfume than a generous mix of body odor and whatever you were cooking the night before.
    Andit, Tweets77, Lynn49 and 5 others like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information