Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Dream24
  • 1 Post By brunt
  • 1 Post By Poirot
  • 1 Post By Shwa Girl

Thread: Travel Insurance for International Travels

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Question about international travel insurance. I am travelling to two Asian countries next year for about 3 weeks altogether. It is my first solo international travel and I want to make sure I have travel insurance but don't know who I should get it through or what to look for in policies.

Is it better to get cancellation with medical travel insurance through places like Expedia/Travelocity/airlines (when I book my flight) or else where (like TD/any bank insurance groups, CAA, TIC Travel Insurance, Kanetix, etc)? Right now I'm looking at booking my flights through Expedia and they offer Cancellation and Medical coverage for $138. The policy seems reasonable and fairly straightforward, but so does so many other policies offered by other companies.
    This thread is currently associated with: Canadian Automobile Association CAA

tightwad and proud of it! brunt's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I can't speak to cancellation insurance, but I always buy my travel medical insurance through CAA. We have no major health issues, and we purchase a year's worth of coverage for an unlimited number of 15 day trips throughout the year (no notice required) for a very reasonable price. Living close to the US border, it is very convenient to be able to hop in the van on a moment's notice to go.

You don't need to be a member (I'm not, it is not really worth it, but that's another story). As a non-member, I think that we pay about 5% more than members would.
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You could check out Blue Cross too.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Dream24 View Post
    Question about international travel insurance. I am travelling to two Asian countries next year for about 3 weeks altogether. It is my first solo international travel and I want to make sure I have travel insurance but don't know who I should get it through or what to look for in policies.

Is it better to get cancellation with medical travel insurance through places like Expedia/Travelocity/airlines (when I book my flight) or else where (like TD/any bank insurance groups, CAA, TIC Travel Insurance, Kanetix, etc)? Right now I'm looking at booking my flights through Expedia and they offer Cancellation and Medical coverage for $138. The policy seems reasonable and fairly straightforward, but so does so many other policies offered by other companies.
    Does your work place offer any travel insurance as part of your benefits?
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    47 (100%)

What about your credit cards? Alot of credit cards have medical insurance. I just decided on getting an AMEX Gold which has Emergency Medical Travel Insurance.
    Just joined Kiva.org, an organization that funds micro-loans to people in developing countries. I love the idea that the $25 I saved in groceries can be given to a fish woman with 5 children in the Philippines to help grow her business.

Thread Information