User Tag List

Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree4723Likes

Thread: June 2015 Frugal Chatter

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    We made the difficult decision to post an advertisement on a busy local garage sale Facebook page in an attempt to find a good new home for one of our cats. He is a good animal, but would do better with older children. Today I was shocked and dismayed to get two nasty posts in reply to my advertisement.

"I had a 2 year old and newborn twins and never felt the need to get rid of other family members to make room! Just more to love"
    This was promptly followed by another member.
    "Maby if her twins don't get along she will try to get rid of one to poor excuse for getting rid of your pet"

My husband adopted this cat 7yrs ago. There is a chance that we might still keep the cat, but our son is over 2.5yrs old and just got scratched in the face beside his eye on the weekend. We also know that our cats will not be getting the attention that they deserve once the twins arrive. Some people can be so nasty. These people brought me to tears.
    Angela I am so sorry about the self righteous face book comments. People like this shouldn't be given a second thought. Personally only you know what the cats and kids can handle, and I think if you can find a home for the cat it is probably best. You are being far more fair to the cat if you know you are not going to have he time for it. What is wrong with the human race, so judgemental.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Angela - LET ME AT 'EM!!!

I am soooooo annoyed right now.

We keep pets around for OURSELVES. That is like saying to someone making the difficult decision to put a sick pet down that they are selfish. We don't always know what life is going to hand us. As someone who adopted a pet from a similar situation, a woman who got into breeding dogs and wanted her Himalayan to have the attention he deserved. I am sickened. It was a privilege to love and adopt that pet and I was HONOURED to be chosen, because she would not have given him to just anyone.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Seriously what the hell is wrong with people. We adopted out 1st beagle from a family much like yours, toddler and baby on the way. They worked long hours in the city and the pup was lonely. I know it broke their hearts to give her up. DH and I had kids several years later but she was older and calmer and we did not have the long days in the city so she thrived with the boys. It was a long time after she passed before I would even think about another dog.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

@ angela Some people don`t know what they`re talking about. I adopted a dog from a woman who was moving from a house into an apartment. She made it very clear to me that it would be Mandy`s choice. If she didn`t like me she wouldn`t be going home with me. Fortunately we liked each other on sight. Sometimes we have to make difficult decisions to do what is best for our pets.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    @avoncallingu how's hubby doing these days my friend. Enjoy your wedding ceremony preparations it much be such a wonderful and fulfilling job
    Thanks for asking, J&C! Our trip north was a little hard on him. Just from a fatigue point of view. I think we'll chop trips up into smaller chunks next time or fly.

I LOVE my job that Lynn introduced me to! She is no longer an officiant, but I'm still enjoying doing this.

Oh, speaking of Lynn49 - her daughter dropped a board on HER foot this weekend while she was at camp - almost a year to the day that her mum had broken her leg - and so she (daughter) has a broken foot! Not a family tradition to start, for sure!
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    June is Parks and Recreation Month. Check your municipality for deals or freebies.
    I saw that a local municipality is having a sale on their fitness passes. Regular $80.00 for a 10 pass for the fitness center, is on for $60.00 for a 10 pass at the fitness center, expires at the end of September.
    But they also have a freebie. You can walk indoors at a few recreation centers in the morning for free. Free walking with a group. Good deal and bad weather doesn't matter
    Thanks for the info, Shwa!

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    We made the difficult decision to post an advertisement on a busy local garage sale Facebook page in an attempt to find a good new home for one of our cats. He is a good animal, but would do better with older children. Today I was shocked and dismayed to get two nasty posts in reply to my advertisement.

"I had a 2 year old and newborn twins and never felt the need to get rid of other family members to make room! Just more to love"
    This was promptly followed by another member.
    "Maby if her twins don't get along she will try to get rid of one to poor excuse for getting rid of your pet"

My husband adopted this cat 7yrs ago. There is a chance that we might still keep the cat, but our son is over 2.5yrs old and just got scratched in the face beside his eye on the weekend. We also know that our cats will not be getting the attention that they deserve once the twins arrive. Some people can be so nasty. These people brought me to tears.
    Oh, Angela, how awful of them!
    I see ads at our vet for re-homing cats and dogs.
    There might be an animal rescue group in your area who would put your cats on their website to help you.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

I need help trying to come up with new ways to advertise my daycare business. I have a contract with the county to provide childcare for subsidy clients but they currently do not have any families in my area looking for care (and I am the only licensed provider in my town). If I have vacant spots then I am free to advertise and look for families privately.

So I have been advertising for 2 months now with no luck I have an ad on kijiji, on 2 different local FB mom swap pages, the local Early Years Centre and at the local grocery store bulletin board. (the school and local county run daycare centre do not give out names and phone numbers of childcare providers). So I am at a loss of what else I can do to get my name out. I am thinking maybe I should make up a banner sign for my yard....

I have had a home daycare for 4 years and I always have difficulty filling daycare spots. There are a lot of daycare providers in this small town so the competition is high. I'm also "new to town" (lived here 5 years - not my whole life) so I'm not as well known as other providers.

Does anyone else have any ideas??!!

PS: I do not advertise my rates (my ad just says "reasonable rates".) Instead my ad focuses on what services I provide. Families that are interested can contact me for my rates. IMO publishing your rates just gives other providers opportunity to undercut you.
    Last edited by bobbiegirl2010; Thu, Jun 4th, 2015 at 09:36 AM.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

bobbie girl-maybe undercut the other guys out there(daycare providers) with a promo for the first month -as an incentive to come to you (maybe a cheaper rate or an outing with the kids)just for the first month
    cant wait til weekend -daughter/hubby are coming sat at 300 for sleepover as we have wedding shower on sunday (plus they want to buy us supper cause they cant celebrate fathers day with us )she asked her bother/wife to come over to my house with ashlyn" I love having both my kids together
    -gotta go take my brother to appt

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Morning! @bobbiegirl - The sign on the front yard is a great idea! Do it!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Another beautiful sunny day here! And of course I am stuck in the office. oh well, at least I don't feel stressed at the moment! Trying to keep on top of stuff so I can take a few days vacation soon.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Good morn!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Bobbie Girl- I notice when I walk in our neighbourhood, one dayhome has a permanent sign in the window advertising that it is a dayhome with a phone number to call. This person is with an agency so they have an agency sign but you could easily make your own window sign or lawn banner. I like coupon girls suggestion too. Good luck.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Splurged at Costco last night and bought 2 new pillows and a new purse!! I never buy myself anything but wanted a new summer purse. (I've been using an old "teen" purse that was my niece's or a reuseable shopping bag lol) I did buy myself an authentic coach purse off the mom swap but it is a "fall" purse lol.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Good morning, everyone.

Finally back downtown. My Mom wanted to keep us a few more days, but I was worried about her catching this blechness I have. Sheesh, today will be the first day in nearly 2 weeks that I actually have to do something for myself (ok, so I only have to nuke the chicken soup my Mom made me, but still). Quincy cat still hasn't quite forgiven me, even tho he was perfectly willing to crush me with his expanded girth while we napped on the couch. Apparently, he decided that 6 meals a day would be just about enough to console him. In addition to several treats, of course. I really can't criticize, given the amount of food I ate on the ship (what can I say - the walk from the fancy dining room to the buffet made me hungry ). Lily dog was overjoyed to see...bff. She ran right past me to make a fuss over D. It would appear my party girl figured she could check on me later.

So, the things I learned from this vacation:
    - this particular route was exhausting - if I didn't have to deal with hills or stairs or cobblestones, the rain made the pavement slick
    - D & I travel (mostly) well together, only issue was the terrain (see above) - D is like a mountain goat scampering up endless flights of stairs, I looked more like a walrus trying to climb onto an ice floe
    - no matter how much you've eaten, there is always room for ice cream, especially pineapple ice cream in a waffle cone (trust me, this is a little piece of heaven)
    - it pays to hang out with smokers (we got to know half the ship's crew by hanging out on the back deck)
    - even if you have good reason to complain about something, be nice about it (we had a minor issue with a leak that we were worried about, so reported it & got several calls and notes thanking us for our patience - we also got a tray of chocolate-covered strawberries and then a bottle of wine the next day when we made a point of going to the front desk to thank them for the gesture and insist that all was well and that their service was exceptional)
    - leave all preconceived notions behind - I finally convinced D to go see one of the nightly shows, guess who insisted we go to the others cause they were all Broadway quality
    - anyone can dance - if I can learn how to do a simple waltz, anyone can

To say we had an amazing time is an understatement. Still have to finish downloading & sorting the pictures from the camera (we won't mention just how many shots I took - let's just say that if this were the old days of film needing to be processed, I could go on another vacation for the price of getting film developed ).

Off to try to find my voice - hoping it's at the bottom of the bowl of chicken soup.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information