User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Update: Strike at Loblaws, Zehrs & RCSS (ON)? No = Resolved

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

The union has rejected talks. Strike plans are being made.
    Unionized workers at Loblaws Great Food and Superstore in much of Ontario seem headed for a strike after rejecting a tentative deal with the company.

During meetings held from June 14 to June 20, members of United Food and Commercial Workers Local 1000A — representing workers from Ottawa to Greater Toronto — rejected the tentative agreement between the union and Loblaws.

The agreement reached earlier this month on June 1 affected 28,000 grocery workers in Ontario.

Strike preparations are in order, with picket captains being trained this week, according the union local’s website.
    Toronto Star

The locals say the main issues are wages, work schedules, benefits and they're seeking improvements and limits on third party providers.
    CTV News
    This thread is currently associated with: Loblaws, Real Canadian Superstore RCSS
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Thu, Jul 9th, 2015 at 09:34 PM.
    amira84 likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

From the union's website
    Sunday, 21 June 2015 10:18 Loblaws Great Food & Superstore Negotiations Update

At ratification meetings held around the province from June 14 to June 20, 2015, UFCW Canada Local 1000A members working at Loblaws Great Food and Superstore voted to reject the tentative memorandum of agreement recently reached between the union negotiating committee and the company.
    The final percentages will be provided early this week once all segregated ballots have been considered, but the fact the tentative agreement was rejected won’t change.
    Your union is ramping up strike preparations.
    As part of the preparations, picket captains have been called upon for training which will be conducted this week.

Your union will also be informing UFCW Canada's National Office, the International Union and the National Defense Fund Administrator of the results of the vote and that we have commenced strike preparations.
    Your union will be reaching out to the company to advise of the membership’s rejection of the tentative agreement and to seek a return to the negotiations table.
    Please continue to monitor the union website for further details.
    Your union will also endeavour to continue with phone call updates when possible and email blasts.
    If you have not provided your union with your cell number, home number and email address, please ensure you do so in order to receive information in a timely fashion.

UFCW1000a
    amira84 likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Ummm..... Shwa girl, can you please explain in simple words what is this all about? Why are they going on a strike? Because of low wages or something else? I don't have enough brains to understand this commercial language.
    abbasgirl and walkonby like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by amira84 View Post
    Ummm..... Shwa girl, can you please explain in simple words what is this all about? Why are they going on a strike? Because of low wages or something else? I don't have enough brains to understand this commercial language.
    amira, the only ones that know all the details of what the workers are negotiating for are them and the employers. You can bet it is the usual things like pay, benefits and working conditions.
    This paragraph was taken from general info from a newspaper ( online )

The main issues are wages, work schedules and benefits, and the union said it will be reaching out to the company to seek a return to the negotiating table.
    amira84 likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    amira, the only ones that know all the details of what the workers are negotiating for are them and the employers. You can bet it is the usual things like pay, benefits and working conditions.
    This paragraph was taken from general info from a newspaper ( online )

The main issues are wages, work schedules and benefits, and the union said it will be reaching out to the company to seek a return to the negotiating table.
    Thanks walkonby.

First post updated. Now includes RCSS Ontario in the strike action.
    amira84 likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I heard it mentioned a few times on the 680 driving around this a.m.
    Looks like strike IS a real possibility but I ask myself how much clout do the grocery store employees think they have when CP employees, teachers, basically any union jobs that have flexed their union/strike muscle have lost ( ordered back to work ) or just basically ignored. I know Loblaws is NOT an essential service, but will be interesting to see how striking affects them.
    Shwa Girl and amira84 like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks walkonby for explaining. I had readd some yahoo news that some loblaws employees were overpaid by mistakd and now loblaws wants them to pay back the money. One employee said that this money was like her one year's pay and she/he can't afford to pay it back. Some employees used that money to pay down their debts and student loans etc.

I thought this strike was the result of loblaws' demand.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    I heard it mentioned a few times on the 680 driving around this a.m.
    Looks like strike IS a real possibility but I ask myself how much clout do the grocery store employees think they have when CP employees, teachers, basically any union jobs that have flexed their union/strike muscle have lost ( ordered back to work ) or just basically ignored. I know Loblaws is NOT an essential service, but will be interesting to see how striking affects them.
    If they do go on strike, it probably will be short. The other grocery stores unions/employees/management are watching this one. Picketers would get strike pay for every shift they work on the picket line.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Thanks walkonby for explaining. I had readd some yahoo news that some loblaws employees were overpaid by mistakd and now loblaws wants them to pay back the money. One employee said that this money was like her one year's pay and she/he can't afford to pay it back. Some employees used that money to pay down their debts and student loans etc.

Was this through one payment, multiple pays, or what....? If it was all of a sudden, one lump sum, I could understand Loblaws asking for it back. Especially if the recipients were notified within a timely manner (say, 30 days). If it was a mistake, they shouldn't have even spent it, so paying it back would be a non-issue. Though, I would suggest Loblaws eat *some* of it (I'm talking..maybe, $100 a person) as a bonus.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    If they do go on strike, it probably will be short. The other grocery stores unions/employees/management are watching this one. Picketers would get strike pay for every shift they work on the picket line.
    that is true but as we all know strike pay is minimal at best, survival money, I hope they reach a settlement that works for both parties before the real hardship begins
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Update - June 24 : 61% vote to strike
    UFCW Canada Local 1000A members working at Loblaws Great Food and Superstore voted 61% to reject the tentative memorandum of agreement for your contract.
    Your union is ramping up strike preparations and will be training strike picket captains from across the province this week.
    We will be setting a strike deadline date soon.
    Members will be notified of the exact date and time when strike action will start.
    "Our members have spoken and we stand shoulder to shoulder with them as we prepare for strike action," said Pearl Sawyer, President of UFCW Canada Local 1000A.
    Please continue to closely monitor your union website for when strike action will begin and further updates.
    from union website

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

61% is not that high, that tells me many of them cannot afford to go out on strike.
    abbasgirl likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

They dropped their demands for repayment:
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/loblaws-dr...200509028.html
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by abbasgirl View Post
    They dropped their demands for repayment:
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/loblaws-dr...200509028.html
    that is interesting. I am very curious when they say " thousands of dollars " were overpaid. I'll bet it was not that much money paid out PER individual employee but rather there were many employees. Good they dropped their plea for the return of the funds, maybe they know they can get more money back from the employees through lost wages when they strike.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

About the overpayment, I don't understand how a large company with so many in their accounting and human resources department, can make such a mistake

Strike may start July 5
    A strike deadline has been set for Sunday, July 5 at 12.01 a.m., which means we will begin strike action against your employer on this date. Picket lines will be set up at all Local 1000A Loblaws Great Food and Superstore stores across Ontario.
    Through the strong strike mandate you provided your negotiating committee in mid-May – you sent a clear message to the company that you demanded a fair contract and were prepared to fight for it. The same message was sent when 61% of those who voted rejected the tentative agreement at ratifications meetings held from June 14 to 20. Through your vote, you have told us the tentative agreement was not good enough and – you’re extremely frustrated at being undervalued and that the company isn’t listening.
    Following the vote, we informed the company of the membership’s rejection of the tentative agreement and advised we were seeking to return to the negotiating table. This morning, the company advised that they are not prepared to return to the bargaining table.
    Our goal has always been to reach a fair agreement for our members and we stand prepared to continue negotiating in good faith with the company.
    The bottom line is we need each and every one of you to stand up for each other and become a part of the picket lines starting Sunday July 5th.
    Our members are coming together for what they believe in— that they deserve to be valued for the work they do and be treated with dignity and respect. When we stand together and fight together we become stronger! Your union will be with you and fight by your side every step of the way.
    Extensive strike preparations are now well underway. Before setting the strike deadline, your leadership consulted this week with rank and file members of your negotiating committee, picket captains and others on the issues our members have raised through their vote. Picket captain training is in progress today. All strike supplies will be distributed back to the stores by your picket captains.
    Your union has also alerted UFCW Canada, our International Union and the National Defense Fund Administrator of the pending strike.
    Your union will be holding a telephone town hall on Sunday, June 28 at 5:45 p.m. about the strike. It’s important you participate--- Just answer your phone when you get a call from a 289 number on Sunday, June 28, 2015 at 5:45 p.m. Please let your co-workers know about these important updates.
    Any questions should be directed to your staff representative or the designated picket captains for your store.
    Please continue to monitor your union website and union bulletin board at work, for further updates and information on the strike.
    walkonby likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information