User Tag List

Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast
Like Tree2308Likes

Thread: Gardening Photos - feel free to post yours!

Trading Score
    471 (100%)

I love this thread!

We have a large veggie garden. It has taken over most of our back yard. I have a decision to make though because we have decided that we would like to build a deck this year. My options are to build raised beds and move the garden to the side of my house which means much less veggies, move my garden to the family farm which means driving there every couple of days, or renting a spot in a community garden.

I only have a few weeks to decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

I'd build raised beds, move what don't fit (ie the runners or maybe the ones that need less tending or bloom later in the season) to family farm. I'm not a fan of community gardens if you don't NEED it. I've heard of things going missing mind u I've nevr had one myself not sure of cost etc.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jody22002 View Post
    I love this thread!

We have a large veggie garden. It has taken over most of our back yard. I have a decision to make though because we have decided that we would like to build a deck this year. My options are to build raised beds and move the garden to the side of my house which means much less veggies, move my garden to the family farm which means driving there every couple of days, or renting a spot in a community garden.

I only have a few weeks to decide.

I'd do exactly what Anna suggested

Trading Score
    471 (100%)

We are thinking of doing a 4 x 8 raised bed on the side of our house. What's the least expensive materials to build it with?

Anybody done lots of container gardening? What has worked really well for you? Since I have to downsize my garden and I am really not willing to give up some of my flower garden space, I think I will also grow some of my veggies in containers.

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

We are thinking of doing a 4 x 8 raised bed on the side of our house. What's the least expensive materials to build it with?

Anybody done lots of container gardening? What has worked really well for you? Since I have to downsize my garden and I am really not willing to give up some of my flower garden space, I think I will also grow some of my veggies in containers.

I don't know how much it will cost to build a raised bed but I recently ordered this one from amazon.ca. It is probably a lot less expensive if you can build one yourself but just an option if you can't or don't want the hassle.

Name:  Snap2.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  12.8 KB
    https://www.amazon.ca/Algreen-Produc...ed+garden+beds

It is 4 x 4 so you will need two. I haven't assembled it yet so I can't say for sure what it is like. Hoping to do that this weekend.

I was also looking at this one from Giant Tiger but decided to go with the one from Amazon:
    http://www.gianttiger.com/product/69...20garden%20box

Trading Score
    471 (100%)

Thanks, Ladybug! We have a nursery that carries them but they are much more expensive than that.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I used spf boards that are 6 inches and stacked them 2 high. Spf boards have no chemicals unlike pressure treated wood and cedar was 4 x the cost.
    ROMEO and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I built a 4x4 planter last year using 4x4x8 cedar fence posts. I bought 4 posts so it's about 8 inches deep. They were at Lowe's B1G1 sale so it was about $70 and I can walk along the edge. I built one for my mom from these special strips of wood that Lowe's carries for garden beds. They were about $8 each and are also 8 feet long but they are kind of like 3x4s that have the edges tapered. Her bed was I think 12x3 and cost $50ish

But I will warn you not to plant anything in the dead centre of your 4x4 as its hard to access. I actually upped my game and I have a 5 gallon food grade bucket planted in the middle. It's about 4-5 inches into the ground with holes drilled along the perimeter about 1 cm up from the bottom on the inside and 4 holes in the bottom. I fill it with water and food once or twice a week and it waters the whole bed for me. No plant rot from watering the leaves (I killed my cucumbers the first year watering them from above). I did notice the outer corners got a lil dry so this year I will use 2l bottles upside down in the ground to compensate.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We did lots on the long weekend and I am still planting my seedlings and will post some photos soon. My fruit orchard trees have lots of flowers so I will see many apples, plums and such.
    macw1960 and Lavender Lady like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by missmaggs View Post
    I built a 4x4 planter last year using 4x4x8 cedar fence posts. I bought 4 posts so it's about 8 inches deep. They were at Lowe's B1G1 sale so it was about $70 and I can walk along the edge. I built one for my mom from these special strips of wood that Lowe's carries for garden beds. They were about $8 each and are also 8 feet long but they are kind of like 3x4s that have the edges tapered. Her bed was I think 12x3 and cost $50ish

But I will warn you not to plant anything in the dead centre of your 4x4 as its hard to access. I actually upped my game and I have a 5 gallon food grade bucket planted in the middle. It's about 4-5 inches into the ground with holes drilled along the perimeter about 1 cm up from the bottom on the inside and 4 holes in the bottom. I fill it with water and food once or twice a week and it waters the whole bed for me. No plant rot from watering the leaves (I killed my cucumbers the first year watering them from above). I did notice the outer corners got a lil dry so this year I will use 2l bottles upside down in the ground to compensate.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    I have some worm composting towers in place...I was interested in quick composting directly in the garden so I will be sure to report back....now to just find red wiggler worms to purchase!
    macw1960 likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

2016 Garden Season. Potato boxes, worm composting towers and raised beds.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

More 1. Raspberry raised beds with trellis system and strawberry beds
    2. Next is one of my fruit trees in the 16 tree orchard
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Angela273, N@t@, samm07 and 9 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    199 (100%)

Love, love your garden. I think I would have to quit my job and just work in my garden if that was mine. "Get those hands dirty" was the slogan of a garden show some years back.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

@kidsteph I love seeing your photos. I started a balcony garden this year and it looks completely pathetic next to your set up lol
    CADDLE APP REFERRAL LINK: http://dev.caddle.ca/signup/referral/565f84b25049b

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

speaking of gardens....i have a strawberry plant & to keep the birds away i put one of those food nets that u can buy at dollarama on top...im wondering if im smothering it? ;-(

i have a more "open" netting i may need to think of a hack ...
    kidsteph likes this.

Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread Information