User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Head Lice

Trading Score
    44 (98%)

Feeling itchy yet?

About a month ago we found lice We treated everyone in the house (no easy feat with 12 people) and retreated in a week...just as the pharmasist said to. We washed all the linen, the stuffies, steam cleaned the couch... Last week we found some again on one of the boys...so again we re treated. Last night I felt itchy, hubby checks...found a nit. So off to SDM this morning.

I know where theyre coming from. My son has a friend. We ll call him Jimmy for now. While we only found one or 2 lice on our kids, poor Jimmy had a head full. He has a horrible home life. Hes 12, his mother works, but shes always too stoned and caught up in her own love life drama to be bothered much with either of her kids (theres 2) so Jimmy more or less lives here. I wont call cps, so please dont suggest that. When we treat the family, Jimmy is included. Ive personally told Jimmys mother about the lice so she could do something about it, but I dont think she is.

Our family is probably the one thing in Jimmys life right now that he can count on. He has clothes here (that were sent over by other friends that their kids had outgrown) he usually eats his meals here, and during the week its a 50-50 guess on weither he spends the night or goes home. During the weekends hes always here. According to Jimmy at home he has to buy all his treats, a lot of basics for food and his own clothes. He gets the $ by babysitting, walking dogs or helping his elderly neighbour clean her house.

I assume the lice are being brought back by Jimmy when he spends the nights at his house.

Im frustrated. What can I do to get these things gone? Is there something I can try thats maybe a lil less expensive than these shampoos? Ive heard of tea tree oil, but I dont know where to get it or what to do with it. Is there any tips anyone can offer up that might help?
    This thread is currently associated with: Canada Post, Shoppers Drug Mart, Guess, Pharmaprix

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

the most inexpensive thing to do is to shave all heads....and putting the hair in plastic bags sealing them properly.

Then all linen, towels, pillowcases and such, should be put them in the dryer for over 30 mins, then put in plastic bags sealed and leave them for 14 days if i'm not mistaken.

soak brushes, cumbs in javel

It's a lot of work....but worth it because it can be very difficult to get rid of them. If the procedure is not done properly or if the kids your kids hang out with ... are not treated.

Make your kids wear hats as it's more difficult to catch them if hair is contained.

the treatment that is sold at pharmacies is excellent but you should read up on the side effect it can have as it's a VERY potent product and not good to used often.
    www.couponfaerie.com
    Subscribe to my Blog, you might just get a Faerie Surprise

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

wow 12 people are alot to treat...poor Jimmy, it would be easy to tell your kids to stay away from him....but if you're the only NORMAL he has then that would be awful too.....and you could always treat him but then he goes home to his lousy bed and furniture....i'm afraid i'm not much help....good luck
    ....just be happy

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Since you know you have been keeping up with checking and cleaning your house and family I would just get into the habit of checking "Jimmy" each time he comes over. If is mom isn't doing much to look after things at her place then I assume it is only a matter of time until she gets lice too and then she may finally do something.
    In the mean time get tea tree oil or shampoo. It doesn't remove lice but it can prevent them from coming back.
    Good luck.
    Earn Gift Cards With Me Click the link below
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/erin9mmm

Trading Score
    50 (100%)

When I was a kid, I caught lice every time anybody at school had it. This went on for years until my mother started buying tea tree oil shampoo. It works, repells the lice I do believe you have to treat before you start using it though!

Trading Score
    44 (98%)

Does anyone know where I can get tea tree oil shampoo? Is it an actual shampoo or is it drops I put in our current shampoo? I looked all thru SDM when we first found the lice but couldnt find anything with tea tree oil for shampoo

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It comes in both forms. You usually find it in the pharmacy area, rarely in the shampoo area (at least that's been my experience). Talk to someone in that department they'll guide you.

Trading Score
    50 (100%)

I get mine at Shoppers... there is a seperate section for it, near the pharmacy. There's also a spray form (we use that on our dog for fleas)

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The worst experience that I ever had with it was a couple years ago. I was 8 1/2 months pregnant with my 3rd daughter and both my older two girls came home with it. To top it off our cat (who only just sits on the deck) got fleas!!!

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

Very frustrating problem! The lice shampoos (Nix etc) are very harsh and should only be used twice, approx one wk apart as you did. I think you can find tea tree oil/shampoo at health food stores. Also get a "nit" comb. They are finer and get to the hair root to remove the nits (a slow process but apparently the only real way to ensure they are all gone). Here's a link to a public health site that includes a natural "recipe" from a doctor at Sickkids Hospital Toronto.

http://www.publichealthgreybruce.on..../Head-Lice.htm

Not sure if this one works, but the theory behind it makes sense. Best of luck!

Trading Score
    44 (98%)

Thanks for all the suggestions!! I'm going to go thru the kids hair...yet again...to see if they're showing any signs of them returning...tho I assume because a nit was found in my hair...we all have them again.

I picked up the tea tree oil stuff at Sobey's pharmacy. For $12.99 I got a good size bottle of the tea tree oil shampoo, a small bottle of the actual oil & a nit "like" comb ...I think we have a collection of those now. 2 of the larger size bottles of the life brand lice treatment (which is what it took to do us all) came to $75 (but at least that was during the gift card promo when you spent so much so I got a $10 gc from that).

We're keeping all our combs & brushes in the freezer to try & keep them at bay as well. This has been my first ever experience with head lice...I never had them as a kid. I'm not overly impressed...what a PITA!! I'll be going thru the house yet again and throwing everything in the washer.

Trading Score
    44 (98%)

URGHHHHHHHHHHH.

We just got a call from the school to pick the kids up... they have nits

Boys are now shaved bald... going thru the house...again

Its going to be a loooong day

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Oh no . Those little buggers. Never had them. Son started school this year for the first time. Got a letter today saying there have been cases . Going to get the tea tree shampoo for sure. What are nits??
    Hope your lice problem goes away soon

Trading Score
    44 (98%)

they're lil brown spots the size of a grain of salt. You need to go thru the hair strand by strand and pull it out. My girls all have long hair. I'm only half way thru checking the first one, and its taken about 2 hours

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Tantum,
    You don't have anything better to do with your time...do you? lol

Good luck! It seems every year, we get a newsletter from the school informing us to check our children for lice....

Have you tried the Cetaphil Cleanser treatment? Look it up...apparently it smothers the lice and nits, and is non-toxic.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information