User Tag List

Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree3914Likes

Thread: What small thing did you do today to save money?

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Great thread! Following
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun
    https://www.superpoints.com/join/E_V...HakUR2RSb3SXJk

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

the day has just begun however it is never too early to think about the savings that can be had.
    Got a nice surprise from the guys who said they did not need to pack a lunch for work ( Company paying for Pizza ) today.
    Still enough leftovers in the fridge for any meals eaten here ( no freezer rescue cooking needed today ) AND picked a big batch of lettuces yesterday from DH's garden boxes, washed, spun, rolled in paper towel, and placed in fridge ( salad is at the ready for today )

DD does not need a ride anywhere today which means no temptation for me to wander into a store.
    ROMEO, Momof3girlies, Silk and 6 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Savingloonies jenniferandcorban's Avatar
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

It is more than small but my insurance broker looked into switching my insurance and I am going to save 15% on my insurance this year!! Signing papers this morning
    ROMEO, Silk, avoncallingu and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jenniferandcorban View Post
    It is more than small but my insurance broker looked into switching my insurance and I am going to save 15% on my insurance this year!! Signing papers this morning
    Same with us. Our insurance broker found some savings on home insurance and car insurance. Our rate for the next year is LOWER than last year. Yay! Instead of spending the money, we are putting it in a Tangerine account we named Car/House Insurance.

Somebody said if you name the account, it's easier to keep up with your plan.

If you pay monthly, they charge an administrative fee of $21. We save the fee by taking a bit from each pay check and when our renewal is due, we have the money ready for the insurance company.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Thu, Jul 9th, 2015 at 11:16 AM.
    ROMEO, Silk, avoncallingu and 6 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I just switched my house and car insurance to and saved $630.00! I pay mine yearly as well and have a nice surplus so thinking what I should do it with it . So glad I finally took the time to do so.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Cut down on our 'food waste' this week by using up a bunch of things that were about to go bad in the fridge. Mozza and Parmesan Cheese became Italian bread wedges and a bunch of getting too ripe veggies were turned into chili this morning. Tomorrow will be greek chicken and salad to take care of a container of feta and the huge bag of lettuce we received from DB & DSIL garden

I also saved the seeds from a bunch of my farmers market bell and jalapeno peppers, so that I won't have to buy seeds for my own garden next year. I'm also wishing for these to become awesome plants since this particular farmer has his plants posted on Facebook and they are amazing. Makes my plants that are growing a single pepper each look pathetic LOL!
    ROMEO, Silk, avoncallingu and 7 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    74 (100%)

We did two things today. First, my DH checked around for insurance quotes because our present company is getting snippy...I think they are using a new underwriter and they're requiring a lot of hoops like "on-site inspections" that they want to schedule 24 hours in advance. So...CAA came up with the same insurance at $50 less a month and DH remembered to ask about the $50 GC they offered for getting insurance quotes. We did one better than just ask! We're actually taking advantage of the insurance quote. Second, I decided to pass on the Harvey's coupon for two original burgers for $6 for lunch. A good deal, no question. But I can make our lunch for about 1/2 that price, for better quality and no gas. Yep, I am one cheap, cheap frugalista.

I love smart canucks and I love smart canuckers.
    Giseledta, ROMEO, Silk and 6 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wendymac View Post
    We did two things today. First, my DH checked around for insurance quotes because our present company is getting snippy...I think they are using a new underwriter and they're requiring a lot of hoops like "on-site inspections" that they want to schedule 24 hours in advance. So...CAA came up with the same insurance at $50 less a month and DH remembered to ask about the $50 GC they offered for getting insurance quotes. We did one better than just ask! We're actually taking advantage of the insurance quote. Second, I decided to pass on the Harvey's coupon for two original burgers for $6 for lunch. A good deal, no question. But I can make our lunch for about 1/2 that price, for better quality and no gas. Yep, I am one cheap, cheap frugalista.

I love smart canucks and I love smart canuckers.
    Your DH saved you $50! Great.
    I agree about the burger deal and their "savings". Nope, you are not cheap -- just smart, like a canuck.

Was tired of cooking and wanted to buy dinner last week. Resisted. Went through the cupboards and fridge and found enough for "breakfast for dinner": eggs, bread, cereal, milk and even a breakfast bar thingy. Spent $0 since it was already there.
    wendymac, ROMEO, Silk and 5 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    I agree about the burger deal and their "savings". Nope, you are not cheap -- just smart, like a canuck.

Was tired of cooking and wanted to buy dinner last week. Resisted. Went through the cupboards and fridge and found enough for "breakfast for dinner": eggs, bread, cereal, milk and even a breakfast bar thingy. Spent $0 since it was already there.
    Way to go Shwa!!

This is what I keep trying to relate to everyone here. The foods ( gems! ) are in the cupboards, at the back and bottom of the fridge ( please lift and move things to look! ) there is more down deep in the freezers! Wonderful meals can be made in less than 1/2 hour with not one dime spent to buy any other ingredients.

babies teach us acceptance

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I just went home at lunch and made kids breakfast for lunch lol. With them home for the summer I am trying hard to use up what we have and get it out of the house

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    74 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post

Yeah, he is pretty great. When I first started frugaling, he was like a lot of guys..."I'll wait for you in the car while you use the coupons...ok, sweetie?" Then he saw how much money we were saving and he got progressively more aggressive. Now sometimes he embarrasses me. LOL. Oh well, I'll live, if past experience is any indication.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I recently got in contact with a lady who has 4month old twin boys. She was given a lot of diapers and her sons have outgrown them. She gave me 250 size newborn and size 1 diapers. Yesterday she contacted me to get the size 2 diapers that they outgrew, so this morning I picked up 270 size 2 diapers. All of these were free to me and will go to good use with our twins that will be born this summer. I feel very thankful for the help of a stranger.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

You are so right, WOB! I keep trying to remind myself of this - and it's slowly sinking in. Groceries are my main everyday expense and I have overflowing cupboards, and a full fridge and freezer. I have to admit it's not easy tho', esp since I discovered the joy of redeeming at sdm for groceries.

Silk

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    Way to go Shwa!!

This is what I keep trying to relate to everyone here. The foods ( gems! ) are in the cupboards, at the back and bottom of the fridge ( please lift and move things to look! ) there is more down deep in the freezers! Wonderful meals can be made in less than 1/2 hour with not one dime spent to buy any other ingredients.
    Have a great life!

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I came home from work and clean the fridge and snacked on a mango that was lost, cut up a pineapple on the verge of yuck. No one eats it if it's not ready. I agree on the dining out, out picky eater is away at grammas and so the oldest asked for dinner out, I explained how that was pretty much a weeks groceries. So instead we did chicken and shrimp and home made fries on the BBQ. We ate outside on the deck and he loved it.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    I recently got in contact with a lady who has 4month old twin boys. She was given a lot of diapers and her sons have outgrown them. She gave me 250 size newborn and size 1 diapers. Yesterday she contacted me to get the size 2 diapers that they outgrew, so this morning I picked up 270 size 2 diapers. All of these were free to me and will go to good use with our twins that will be born this summer. I feel very thankful for the help of a stranger.
    What an awesome act of kindness!
    I hope there is a twins group near you so you can get together with others, and do more trading of diapers and clothes.

Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information