User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Serving alcohol to minors

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I was wondering if anyone knew where to find facts and possibly laws regarding serving Alcohol to minors? Specifically in Ontario and to children (ie, younger than a teen/pre-teen) if possible. I've read a bunch of sites but they seem to relate to teenagers and they contradict each other.

I was witness to someone serving their THREE year old child a sip of beer the other day. My husband said that he's seen the person do it on other occasions.

I'm wondering if there is somewhere I can find FACTS about serving Alcohol to children (preferably studies proving it's affects).

For myself it's a no brainer to never allow my kids to have Alcohol but some people have other opinions. I'm sure if I see this activity again it'll spark quite the conversation so I'd like to read as much research on the subject as possible.

Thanks in advance!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Andit, Crochetlady and walkonby like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I have no laws to quote for you lola, JUST the law of common sense ( which that person seems to be in short supply of ) .
    I'll bet they are of the opinion that it is cute to watch how the kid will react to a sip. Sh*t for brains, ya just can't fix stupid I guess. Sure hope you find the ammo you need to educate this parent, but more importantly I pray that what you say to them sinks in. Children should NOT be given alcohol.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    I have no laws to quote for you lola, JUST the law of common sense ( which that person seems to be in short supply of ) .
    I'll bet they are of the opinion that it is cute to watch how the kid will react to a sip. Sh*t for brains, ya just can't fix stupid I guess. Sure hope you find the ammo you need to educate this parent, but more importantly I pray that what you say to them sinks in. Children should NOT be given alcohol.
    Sadly I don't have a great relationship with this person so I'm not sure he'll listen to anything I have to say.

He's part of DH's family and I know if I start a "conversation" with him it'll stir things up in the family. I mean, NUMEROUS people have seen it and NO ONE has said anything.

I want to be able to give concrete facts rather than just say he's an idiot (which I think he is most of the time).

It's mind blowing to me. I grasp at trying to understand the logic in giving a child alcohol even once let alone on multiple occasions. It was exactly 1 week between when I saw it and when DH saw it (I wasn't there the 2nd time) so that's 2 times within a one week span. Who knows how often it actually happens as we don't see them often.

I'd just like to have some facts/stats/laws/etc. to support my argument if it comes up, which I'm assuming it will.
    Last edited by bargain_hunter_lola; Tue, Jul 7th, 2015 at 01:33 PM.
    Andit, Crochetlady and walkonby like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

oh it is family....nuff said. yes, supporting facts would be helpful. Is there any chance he WANTS someone to say something? Doing it to get attention? Like sort of " I dare anyone to say something to me! " Not an easy situation for you to be around.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Surprisingly it is not illegal to let your child have a sip of alcohol in your own home in Ontario or many other provinces in Canada. I did a bit of Googling and really the only thing I could come up with was the correlation between early drinking and teenage alcohol problems/alcoholism.

Hopefully you can convince him it is a bad idea. The last thing a child needs is an uphill battle in life with alcohol or anything else.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    oh it is family....nuff said. yes, supporting facts would be helpful. Is there any chance he WANTS someone to say something? Doing it to get attention? Like sort of " I dare anyone to say something to me! " Not an easy situation for you to be around.
    I kind of wondered the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by BC Gal View Post
    Surprisingly it is not illegal to let your child have a sip of alcohol in your own home in Ontario or many other provinces in Canada. I did a bit of Googling and really the only thing I could come up with was the correlation between early drinking and teenage alcohol problems/alcoholism.

Hopefully you can convince him it is a bad idea. The last thing a child needs is an uphill battle in life with alcohol or anything else.
    I agree. It seems to be legal for a parent to give their own child alcohol in their own home, although there does seem to be circumstances where they can be charged.

Thanks Natalka!

I had already read the first article you linked. It provided a lot of good information.

Most of what I could find using google was geared toward teens and pre-teens drinking.

I have found some fairly solid arguments so hopefully it's enough for him to at least think about, even if he doesn't fully agree with me at first.

Honestly I wouldn't be as worried if it was an older child (teen/pre-teen) or if it was very rarely, but from what I can understand it seems fairly common and the child is barely 3 (and small for his age).
    Andit, Natalka and Crochetlady like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

You can always make a call to the Children's Aid and mention your observations-it would then be up to them to determine if the child is in any danger and in need of any intervention.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bargain_hunter_lola View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knew where to find facts and possibly laws regarding serving Alcohol to minors? Specifically in Ontario and to children (ie, younger than a teen/pre-teen) if possible. I've read a bunch of sites but they seem to relate to teenagers and they contradict each other.

I was witness to someone serving their THREE year old child a sip of beer the other day. My husband said that he's seen the person do it on other occasions.

I'm wondering if there is somewhere I can find FACTS about serving Alcohol to children (preferably studies proving it's affects).

For myself it's a no brainer to never allow my kids to have Alcohol but some people have other opinions. I'm sure if I see this activity again it'll spark quite the conversation so I'd like to read as much research on the subject as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Ontario Liquor License Act
    related to persons under 19
    Rules, persons under 19

30. (1) No person shall knowingly sell or supply liquor to a person under nineteen years of age. R.S.O. 1990, c. L.19, s. 30 (1).
    Idem

(2) No person shall sell or supply liquor to a person who appears to be under nineteen years of age. R.S.O. 1990, c. L.19, s. 30 (2).
    Permitting possession or consumption

(3) No licensee or employee or agent of a licensee shall knowingly permit a person under nineteen years of age to have or consume liquor in the licensee’s licensed premises. R.S.O. 1990, c. L.19, s. 30 (3).
    Idem

(4) No licensee or employee or agent of a licensee shall permit a person who appears to be under nineteen years of age to have or consume liquor in the licensee’s licensed premises. R.S.O. 1990, c. L.19, s. 30 (4).
    Person under 19, use of ferment on premise facility

(4.1) No licensee of a ferment on premise facility or employee or agent of such a licensee shall,
    (a) knowingly permit a person under 19 years of age to use the facility for the making of beer or wine;
    (b) permit a person who appears to be under 19 years of age to use the facility for the making of beer or wine. 1998, c. 24, s. 12 (1); 2006, c. 34, s. 16 (42).
    source
    http://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90l19#BK34
    Andit and Crochetlady like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

^ The latter applies only to licensed premises.
    At home, it's not illegal in Ontario to give it to your children, if a parent is present.
    Andit and Crochetlady like this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

I respectfully disagree with some of the sentiment here regarding alcohol.

My parents are Eastern European and in that culture alcohol is not considered taboo. I think I was about that age (3) when I first started having a tiny bit of beer or wine with dinner (half a shot glass full). I always had access to alcohol (sips of whiskey or whatever cocktails my folks had - I often played bartender at parties and by 5 was proficient at mixing drinks). I never went through the desperation some of my classmates did wrt to trying to buy alcohol as a teen or overindulging. I'm in my 40s & have never been drunk once in my life. To this day, I can take or leave alcohol. Just thought I'd post a different perspective.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

when i grew up it wasn't uncommon for a father to let his son take a sip of beer *just a sip, as a special treat once and awhile* do i agree with it? not really.. would i let my child who is 7? oh heck no..though if it's to the point of intoxication then your dealing more with a child services issue and parents putting the child in a situation of child endangerment
    Last edited by Midnightly; Wed, Jul 8th, 2015 at 04:10 AM.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    You can always make a call to the Children's Aid and mention your observations-it would then be up to them to determine if the child is in any danger and in need of any intervention.
    I really don't believe it's a problem for Children's Aid. Overall I think they are good parents, and it's not like they are allowing extremely large amounts of Alcohol. If it does seem like the child is in danger I wouldn't hesitate to take the appropriate actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    I respectfully disagree with some of the sentiment here regarding alcohol.

My parents are Eastern European and in that culture alcohol is not considered taboo. I think I was about that age (3) when I first started having a tiny bit of beer or wine with dinner (half a shot glass full). I always had access to alcohol (sips of whiskey or whatever cocktails my folks had - I often played bartender at parties and by 5 was proficient at mixing drinks). I never went through the desperation some of my classmates did wrt to trying to buy alcohol as a teen or overindulging. I'm in my 40s & have never been drunk once in my life. To this day, I can take or leave alcohol. Just thought I'd post a different perspective.
    I think this *may* be his ideology, although he wasn't given alcohol until he has 11-12 and as I said before I wouldn't be as concerned if the child was a teen or pre-teen.

3 just seems way too young to be given alcohol in any amount. Again this is my opinion. I haven't seen anything stating it's illegal. I have been able to come up with a few good arguments why it's not a good idea. Other than that's what other generations have done, I haven't heard/seen any argument in defence of giving alcohol to kids. I hope he'll at least listen to my arguments and consider them.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightly View Post
    when i grew up it wasn't uncommon for a father to let his son take a sip of beer *just a sip, as a special treat once and awhile* do i agree with it? not really.. would i let my child who is 7? oh heck no..though if it's to the point of intoxication then your dealing more with a child services issue and parents putting the child in a situation of child endangerment
    I agree that older generations have different views on alcohol (and a lot of things) than our generation and as I said before if the child was older it would be different, I wouldn't have even been surprised.

I guess the fact the boy is 3 and small for his age (he was a premature twin so his size/weight is closer to a 2 year old) really made it even more shocking.

Again I don't think the child is in immediate danger. I think the parent is smart enough to only give him small amounts. I wanted to see if I could find out any facts/studies that show the affect of alcohol (even small doses) on kids in the long run. Just to give him so information to think about.

At the end of the day it's his child and his decision, but I feel I need to at least play devil's advocate and give him info why it's not a good idea and let him do what he wants with that info.
    Last edited by bargain_hunter_lola; Wed, Jul 8th, 2015 at 09:42 AM.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

This link is about alcohol and children using, plus pregnancy, plus combining with common medication
    https://nccd.cdc.gov/MCRC/Default/Login.aspx
    This link is from Region of Peel for students and teachers, grade 5
    https://www.peelregion.ca/health/alcohol-toolkit/

This one, from Australia, discusses damage to brain cells and delays in brain development when alcohol is used by children
    Impact of Alcohol on the Developing Brain
    Studies of adolescents show that heavy and extended alcohol use is associated with a 10% reduction in the size of the hippocampus. It also shows that the function of the hippocampus is uniquely sensitive to alcohol at this time and that alcohol may be poisonous to the nerve cells of the hippocampus causing them to be damaged or destroyed
    http://alcoholthinkagain.com.au/Pare...veloping-brain
    Crochetlady likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

At the end of the day it's his child and his decision, but I feel I need to at least play devil's advocate and give him info why it's not a good idea and let him do what he wants with that info.
    Maybe you can use Health Canada's guideline about what to give children to eat and drink. Health Canada says to limit the amout of fat given to children. Alcohol is high in fat
    tips on what to feed children

Check out these ideas on how to encourage kids to eat healthy foods:

• Offer whole fruit and vegetables more often than juice. They have more fibre.
    • Offer 500 mL (2 cups) of milk or fortified soy beverage every day. This will help kids meet their calcium and vitamin D needs and build strong bones.
    • Offer nutritious foods even if they have a higher fat content. Give children a variety of nutritious foods, including some choices that contain fat (like milk, peanut butter, and avocado).
    • Limit foods and drinks high in calories, fat, sugar, or salt, like cookies, chips, and soft drinks.
    • Drink water. Encourage your children to drink water to quench their thirst and replenish body fluids.
    http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/eating...ils-eng.php#a2
    Crochetlady likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information