• 2 Post By Anna Michele
  • 1 Post By frugallegemom
  • 1 Post By walkonby
  • 1 Post By frugallegemom
  • 4 Post By annedougherty
  • 3 Post By sweetmomma
  • 2 Post By lilo0003
  • 2 Post By frugallegemom

Thread: Changes to No Frill's Won't Be Beat Competitors to Price Matching Coming August 1st

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    14 (100%)

August 1st will be a sad day for Price Matching in Oshawa, Ontario... at least as far as No Frills is concerned.

The No Frill's on Ritson and Adelaide in Oshawa are removing a lot of stores from their list of competitors. They are also limiting the # of items you may price match to 4. These signs are posted by the cash registers. I am not sure how/if other stores in Oshawa are affected but this one is for sure. They also reminded me today while I was PMing Canadian Tire and Shoppers.

Name:  August 1st PM No Frills.jpg
Views: 5724
Size:  531.9 KB

As you can see, they will no longer be accepting price matches from:

Shopper's Drug Mart
    Food 4 Less
    Food Basics
    Canadian Tire
    Loblaws, or
    Rexall

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! This sucks lol.
    walkonby and Anna Michele like this.
    Get your F-R-E-E gift cards just by browsing online with Swagbucks. Click here to register now!

ghu
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The no frills outside my house has never PMed Canadian tire or rexall, only sdm. So you were luckier than me in the past! I hope they don't take sdm off their list but it looks like they will. Ymmv I guess! Thanks for the heads up!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I live a few minutes away from that no frills and have stopped going there shortly after they opened. Their produce seemed to be frozen and thawed and you would buy something and it would be bad by morning. I also found them to be very rude at times and they were constantly changing their minds about who a competitor was from one week to the next.

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

They will lose alot of business. These days everyone pms.

Sent from my SM-G730W8 using Tapatalk
    frugallegemom and walkonby like this.
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    14 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ghu View Post
    The no frills outside my house has never PMed Canadian tire or rexall, only sdm. So you were luckier than me in the past! I hope they don't take sdm off their list but it looks like they will. Ymmv I guess! Thanks for the heads up!
    Yeah, I am really sad to see SDM taken off of the list. They often have eggs, cheese, butter, Wonderbread, and other groceries at a cheaper sale price and more frequently than No Frills. Being able to PM those was a big bonus to me.

I won't really miss Rexall PMs but Canadian Tire was nice for household items. For instance, all of the 50 load bottles of Arm & Hammer laundry detergent I got for $2 each this weekend.

I will really miss Food 4 Less (their flyer is printed right in the This Week paper. They often have at least one really great deal. I'll miss Foos Basics as well - when I was able to get my hands on their flyer.

Quote Originally Posted by missmaggs View Post
    I live a few minutes away from that no frills and have stopped going there shortly after they opened. Their produce seemed to be frozen and thawed and you would buy something and it would be bad by morning. I also found them to be very rude at times and they were constantly changing their minds about who a competitor was from one week to the next.
    Sorry to hear about your experience. I haven't noticed poor quality produce. But I have noticed a lack of good deals on produce which is why I like to PM. As for service, sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I think it could be because they had just opened.

If you ever go again, I'd suggest going directly to checkout 2 to pay. There is always a supervisor who can do overrides on that checkout. Knowing this has made my couponing/PMs much less of a hassle. By now, I recognize them/they recognize me and since I do it so often, they don't scrutinize my flyers/coupons so much. The regular cashiers are often much slower at processing coupons or price matches so I prefer to only deal with supervisors. Three of them in particular are very nice. One even congratulates me on my shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Michele View Post
    They will lose alot of business. These days everyone pms.

Sent from my SM-G730W8 using Tapatalk
    I think some people will just suck it up and pay whatever price No Frills is selling at but not me - especially not in the Spring through Fall months where I don't mind running around town so much. They will be losing money from me because I will be going to wherever has the best deal. Looks like I'll be earning more Optimum points and Canadian Tire money. I know Walmart PMs a lot but I've found they don't often have the right size/quantity of items and also, there's no "other money" to be earned via a rewards program.
    walkonby likes this.
    Get your F-R-E-E gift cards just by browsing online with Swagbucks. Click here to register now!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I agree with you @frugallegemom , vote with your feet! I too would no longer give that NF any of my business if they want to play that way. Thanks for posting, I hope this policy does not trickle down to Scarborough stores!! lol
    frugallegemom likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    14 (100%)

Yeah, I am super disappointed... think I'm going to write a letter - not that it will make a difference lol.

Unfortunately, this will only be a partial-boycott for me. I'll still shop there for many of my items since it's only a five minute walk for me. But I really won't be purchasing the things I know I can get a better deal on at other stores from them. That will put a dent in their profits from me as I was doing my main shopping there and spending hundreds per month since they opened. SDM just got a whole lot more attractive to me, as did Giant Tiger, even if I don't tend to get good service there.

Hoping for really good deals in the circulars in the next two weeks and I will take advantage of PMs as a final F-you lol.

Hope these changes don't reach Scarborough. I'm not sure but it seems the franchisers set their competitor's lists because when I was PMing SDM one lady was surprised - said her No Frills didn't allow it.
    Anna Michele likes this.

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

I don't blame stores for putting restrictions on pming. People try to get away with price matching anything. Most stores taken off the list often have smaller sizes of things like dish soap for $1. I think it was dawn that I saw all over the place that people were pming the wrong size, knowingly, and getting it free with coupons. There are always repercussions for crap like that but people get p*ssed off when they are called on it. I don't live near no frills but this would suck if I shopped there. Once again those who play by the rules have to suffer thanks to a dishonest few who insist on going overboard.
    Last edited by annedougherty; Mon, Jul 20th, 2015 at 11:37 AM.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    459 (100%)

I have to say the sign makes it clear who they will PM which is nice. Was told at one location they will only PM stores in the same city.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
    Want to keep fit while earning incentives like Scene Points? Join Carrot Rewards using my personal code: rosaw3424

Easy Free Online Rewards--Paypal, Amazon, Etc.

http://swagbucks.com/refer/BlingPink

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

It's a shame, but at least they gave you a warning. My no frills just put the limit of 4 no warning. But since I live the same distance to RCSS I just go there if I need more than 4. I pass by most major grocery store so I will often just go to the store with the sale to avoid the hassle and give them my business.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    14 (100%)

repost
    Last edited by frugallegemom; Tue, Jul 28th, 2015 at 11:45 AM.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    14 (100%)

I don't mind the limit of four so much as I will miss the competitors I was able to PM. I was spoiled these last few months, especially since it's just as close, if not closer than convenience stores near me so I go several times a week just to do quick milk and bread runs.

It's not the end of the world, especially since I posted this, I have been learning more and more about how to shop at SDM. I almost never shopped there on purpose before! (Thought it was too expensive and didn't imagine how I'd earn Optimum points). So I will just frequent the other stores around my SDM shops. The north end SDM is really close to GT and Canadian Tire if they have deals.

ETA: I think I'm going through the stages of grief: Anger, Sadness, Denial, Acceptance (or something like that) over this PM change.

Could it be I'm reaching acceptance? LOL!

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Most NF stores are independent and set the stores, one of the ones here will PM SDM but the other won't.
    They have all had a limit for some time, but better than FreshCo's limit of 2
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    14 (100%)

I am less and less bummed about the changes. I like going to SDM and PMing isn't everything since there are unadvertised in-store deals to be found when you actually visit the other stores.

Thread Information