User Tag List

Page 12 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast
Like Tree5718Likes

Thread: August 2015 Frugal Chatter thread

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Good morning, everyone.

Had fun at Mackenzie House (home of Toronto's first Mayor and grandfather of one of our, er, more colourful Prime Ministers ). It's a cute little row house (the neighbour houses were torn down, luckily this little gem was saved) with period furnishings. In addition to a tour of the home, there is a fully operational printing press that visitors are allowed to try after playing with type (an addition was built onto the side of the home to house the printshop which had originally been located several blocks away).

Name:  P1100181.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  212.0 KB

I still can't believe this little gem is just around the corner from Dundas Square (and I never realized where it was!). Foolish me had energy, so we ended up walking back to the condo where we passed by Toronto's first Post Office (it was closed and again I didn't realize how close by it was), which will be the next little tour. Coming home would have been an easy walk for someone healthy, but it managed to knock me for a loop and most of yesterday was spent resting & recovering & trying to find energy for last night.

Last night, I went to see Obeah Opera (http://tickets.youngcentre.ca/single....aspx?psn=8461). Think Crucible told from the perspective of Tituba, but as a musical (Afro-Caribbean-Jazz beats). Amazing show, incredibly talented actors. Here's hoping someone takes notice and it does well.

Today will be spent resting and storing up energy - bff is involved in some events related to ParaPanAm and I get to tag along. Oh, just remembered, today the Opening Ceremonies are on. So much for lazy summer days (guess that's only for dogs...& cats).

Better get some cuddles in, they're so hard-done by now that I have a mini semblance of a life these days.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@SassyAshley - it's good to reward yourself after many months of giving and doing but not getting the perks! Would your Mom have a better work market if she relocated to another area? I think I missed any update if your Mom had managed to end the storage rental after selling/donating/giving away the items in the unit. If the rental is a going concern, your Mom might need to have a sale soon-someone could buy furniture for back to school rental or home or where needed.
    @saundyl - new vehicle just makes a commute fun again!
    @Andit -I have not visited many of the downtown Toronto attractions including Mackenzie House or the first Post office. Still needing to do the Textile Museum (not in cold months though) and the ROM and AGO need current visits (been over 10 years since I visited either one). Great to read of your adventures in the capital of Toronto! And the upcoming ParaPan fun!

Re: the freezer question-80s chest freezer has not been in use in over 20 years. I thought it have been scrapped last decade but logic does not work with other family members. Currently have a top freezer section to the fridge. A small upright freezer (need to find contest for one) would be ideal for all the frozen meat or boxed pizzas that don't fit too well on the shelf/floor when two or more are parked there. I have learned not to risk buying big frozen items in case someone else has done a shop and claimed the big spaces. So I tend to buy small items for the door shelves or for immediate/short term use.

Re: that pair of pants purchased-have removed stitching from hems for length. Realized what I thought had been dirt or dust marks on pants did not wash out so slight mottled effect is on the lower legs. The pant waistband is actually just below the natural waist (not my fave look at all) so I will have to pull a sewing MacGvyer attempt to make it work. I definitely will be taking in the side seams from the waist and maybe in the hips to fit the pants to me.
    Last edited by Ciel; Fri, Aug 7th, 2015 at 12:23 PM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    That can happen? I'm paranoid now because we have a lot of tinned soups.... and no dog.
    I suspect the can was a wee bit old (I have a thing about being prepared - I swear I could feed pretty much everyone in my building just on the canned goods I have on hand ). Who really knows. And it was actually Quincy cat who was the more enthusiastic of the 2 - yes, only I would have a cat who thinks peas are a special treat, even more yummy than liver.

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    I love your posts! What on earth made the peas explode? I remember my dad made a whole bunch of beer one year when there was a beer strike. One night during supper, the bottles started to explode - all over the back porch! Boy did it stink! I don't think he ever tried that again.
    My grandfather apparently tried that once. Only his beer exploded in the middle of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    QOTD: Do you have a freezer and what size did you need to feed your family of how many?
    I bought a little freezer 2 yrs ago, cause I didn't have room for ice cream (Lily dog's food was taking over - I make her dinners in large batches to save on cooking, yes, she is spoiled ). I have a Haier 5 cubic ft freezer (it doubles as an end table in my livingroom, cause I have limited space and zero room in the kitchen). Here's the one I bought: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Haier-5.0-...White/42490120. Right now, it contains chicken broth popsicles (no, not for me ), 6 servings of chicken/rice/veggies for Lily dog, 3 frozen pizzas (for me, well, for all of us ), about 10 individually wrapped beef/pork burger patties (for whomever) and a steak (saving it to share with the brats for a special occasion - likely Lily dog's b-day in 2 weeks). And there is still a bit of room left.

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Trying to budget some renos for my room and needless to say not going well.
    I've learned over the years the importance of spending on myself. I know you like to have a cushion (been there, done that, to the point of depriving myself of having fun when I realized I had to rethink things), which is admirable, but sometimes you just have to splurge. I'm on a tight budget, but I allow myself a certain amount every week that can only be used for fun things. Even if there is debt that has to be paid off. Sometimes I spend the $, sometimes I save it for something extra special (like the trip I took in the spring). My father's attitude was always that life is meant to be lived and enjoyed, otherwise what's the point.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

@SassyAshley : I do agree that you have to be kind to yourself sometimes. You seem to be fixing things for others, taking care of others, and it's impossible to do it forever. Even if you put a little money aside per month, just for yourself, at least you would have something to reward yourself and look forward to later. I know there are such things as mortgages, unexpected costs, etc., but we only get one life and money is a tool to enjoy things once in awhile.

And you have permission to say that back at me tomorrow.

Thanks, everyone, for all your responses on a freezer. I think an upright would make me feel more comfortable. My parents had three giant ones when I was growing up and they would always make me reach into the bottom to get things. I think I developed a weird phobia of falling in, hitting my head, and getting trapped inside. I honestly don't know how I think of these bizarre things.

Another QOTD to keep the chatter going:

With the soaring meat prices, would there ever become a point when you would consider becoming vegetarian? Or would you always save up for meat, even if only for special occasions?

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

congrats @saundyl on your new vehicle
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

QOTD- We like meat. Even now with the high prices I seem to still shop well and stay way under budget. There always seems to be a sale. Sometimes I just have to make due with what I have and wait for the sale. I'm not a fan of beans so I think it would be hard for me to live healthy as a vegetarian since I follow a veggie/lots of protein plan.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@sweet sparrow my guys would never go for being vegetarians (lol) but with the high costs of meats I cook smaller portions and have a starch for dh & I, we both love rice and so does ds2 so that stretches the meat. Instead of cooking enough for leftovers on purpose I make enough for the meal, if we do have meat leftovers my teen will go back and eat it before bed which is not a savings as he has a hollow leg (smile). I love veggies myself but DO LOVE a good STEAK more but haven't had a real beef steak in about 6 months so craving a good one...drool

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Yes, stretching meat out helps too. Last night I pan cooked 2 BLSL chicken breasts (I cut into strips) DS and I each had a quesidia for dinner, sent DS with a chicken ceaser wrap for his lunch today. And there is still lots of chicken left for more wraps for his lunch on the weekend since he loves them. Tonight we are having ribs (my honey bought on sale awhile ago for a summer treat, we have another package for another time still in the freezer) I think the package was around $9 ($2LB) But will do us 4 for dinner (with corn, salad etc) and there will be leftovers. I look at the price of one rack of ribs in a restaurant and feel we are way ahead of the game

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    @sweet sparrow my guys would never go for being vegetarians (lol) but with the high costs of meats I cook smaller portions and have a starch for dh & I, we both love rice and so does ds2 so that stretches the meat. Instead of cooking enough for leftovers on purpose I make enough for the meal, if we do have meat leftovers my teen will go back and eat it before bed which is not a savings as he has a hollow leg (smile). I love veggies myself but DO LOVE a good STEAK more but haven't had a real beef steak in about 6 months so craving a good one...drool
    @jasperandchar - We need to find you a fantastic steak sale!!! You need a treat

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I called Bell a couple days ago for a credit for the last 1.5 month of phone not working properly paid off $55 credit, got my new bill yesterday and was charged network fee which is to be waived credit of $6.95 and also mentioned 3 charges for the same movie (which never worked) about movie rental charges when our satellite receiver was not working credit of $33. so it paid off this week. Our truck is in the shop, dropped off yesterday waiting to hear back from the garage as he was supposed to call once they had a peek, I've left a message and now waiting to hear what's wrong and the dreaded costs. We are having chicken drumsticks for supper a new modified recipe, frozen corn and sidekicks so cost for meal $5 chicken, $1 sidekicks and .30 corn = $6.30 and there will be leftovers so that's reasonable not my $5 budget but you win some you lose some (smile).

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Crochetlady View Post
    One thing to consider if you`re short like me. I can`t reach anywhere near the bottom of the chest freezer. I put some things in plastic shopping bags but they get brittle and tear very easily. One reason why I prefer the upright.
    +1...me too. We've had a small square shaped chest freezer for close to 30 years now and I have cursed many times trying to get anything out of the bottom of it. ( 5'3" and a bit ) This year I purchased an upright ( looks like a fridge ) freezer with the intentions of ditching the other one, but both are full! ha ha

Today I had a very good shop at NF, PM'd 4 x Driscolls raspberries for .99 each, used 4 x .75 off coupons from the surveys and then PC points offer was 300 points on each raspberry! So I MADE money!! Also got 1 bottle of Palmolive 739 ml @ $2.47 minus $1.00 coupon and minus CO51 $1.00 off. Still had to pay tax ( so total OOP was .79 ) and I am sure somewhere there was a sale on that size and type of dish soap but I just grabbed the first one I saw, wanted to get the cold foods home that I had in the vehicle.
    Found a 3 lb bag of perfectly good carrots on the reduced cart at NF for a buck, splurged on a watermelon, but refused to pay what they want for fresh beef! ( I mean steaks, stewing beef, not ground ) so i suppose we will be eating fish and chicken again. DS is stocked up on his Nestea now ( PM .99 from FB )

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    @jasperandchar - We need to find you a fantastic steak sale!!! You need a treat
    Yes I remember rib steak going on sale for $4.99 a pound a few years ago and now we're lucky if we get it on sale for under $7...I know FB has the rib steak on sale this week so we'll see....I do need a treat (smile)

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I have quite a bit of overgrown garden peas, from when I was on the hospital having the twins. I'm not sure how to use them up. I could dry them all and use them for next year's garden, but I'm sure some people might have suggestions for a meal. The only thing I can think of is pea soup, but I'm not a big fan. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@walkonby great deals with your coupons, pts etc

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@Angela I love peas in my rice, do you mean overgrown as in overripe or just a lot of them. Perhaps consider freezing and making baby food just a thought

Page 12 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread Information