User Tag List

Page 14 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast
Like Tree5718Likes

Thread: August 2015 Frugal Chatter thread

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saundyl View Post
    Why not Blanche them off and freeze them for later?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    I was thinking that, saundyl. We just got a new freezer as the old one was pooched. It's a 7 cu.ft. chest freezer. We just threw the frozen stuff in it, as it was a very hot day. We house it in the garage and I'm thinking of putting up a white board so I can keep track of what's in there. I like cauliflower and so does my brother who comes for supper on Sundays. It's hard to pick something he likes. He has admitted that the only time he eats veggies is when he eats with us.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Once we were unloading the truck and I set a turkey on the step to open the door stepped in the house and took a few min to pee...got back and a fox had pilfered my turkey.

Oh, you made me laugh AND my dH and it takes a lot for him to laugh right out loud. I can just see that sucker dragging the turkey across the snow yelling, "FREE, I got it for FREE!"

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Angela-welcome back. I am sure your babies are keeping you busy. Hope your family is all doing well.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Once we were unloading the truck and I set a turkey on the step to open the door stepped in the house and took a few min to pee...got back and a fox had pilfered my turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    Oh, you made me laugh AND my dH and it takes a lot for him to laugh right out loud. I can just see that sucker dragging the turkey across the snow yelling, "FREE, I got it for FREE!"
    Well I laughed when I read saudyl's post, but avon, reading yours made me

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Alright - all of you who are quite sick of hearing me complain about our water/electrical problem/fix - you can relax! It's almost over. They came today with a HUGE truck called "The SUPER SUCKER!" We had the cement removed yesterday and today they sucked out two GIANT HOLES - one to find the problem with the electricity and one to find the problem with the water.

It turned out that the BRICKS that the stupid builder had used as fill under our front lawn and sidewalk had worn away at the electrical line. You should have seen the hole it made!

And the sh!$$ty building technique in installing the downspout from the eavestrough by totally surrounding it in cement when they put in the sidewalk meant that when the frost heaved and melted over the years, the connection to the sewer line had totally broken and gotten clogged up.

So, a cooperative effort has meant that now the front part of the sidewalk hole has been totally filled in and gravel put on it. The other hole is filled half-way with fill and waiting for the gravel. Then we have to wait a month (at least) before we can re-pour the cement.

Also the whole front lawn (which is, yes, small) is torn up - as is our garden. And the fibreglass and vapour barrier in the basement has to be replaced after we suck out the silt that made it in there after the second leak. Also, we fried the freezer, printer and the toaster oven when we had the electrical surge. Since these were 2 separate incidents, we would have to make 2 claims which would increase our insurance costs.

BUT -it's now fixed and we should NOT (touch wood) have any more water in the basement !

Yay, yippy yay!!!! DH and I actually took 1/2 hr to sit on our nice chairs on the back patio and look over the lovely field and back yard.

Tomorrow we are taking a little trip to a nearby town to a festival with my db and have a little - dare I say it - FUN!

The dog is apparently feeling better but we run out of pain pills this weekend. We'll see how it goes.

Have a good weekend!

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning All,
    Looks like I missed a few questions Yes we have two freezers 1 chest and 1 stand up. I swear I inherited this frugal living/stockpiling. Growing up my Mom's family had a farm so we were used to putting everything down for the winter not to mention we did beef farming and 2 of the worlds biggest chest freezers to store whatever we did not sell when the cows became meat (ok that was odd to come up with a nice way to say that). Then on my Dad's side my Oma grew up during the war in Germany where even if you had the money you just could not get it. I cannot even remember how many fridges and freezers they had in their garage plus she had cold storage. Even before I got into couponing we were always stocked up on things. To be honest we probably freeze things most would never think of freezing, since there are only two of us and I do a lot of shopping at Costco when they have sales everything comes home and gets broken down. Right now I have meat, cheese, bread, fruits & veggies in the freezer (just what I can think of off the top of my head) and now I need more food saver bags and we will be adding flour and chocolate chips to the freezer (I got 5 x 1 kg bags of whole wheat flour for $0.99/bag and I think it was 20 bags of chocolate chips for $0.49/bag so we will freeze them to extend their lives, I measure how much fits in the jar we store them in and then freeze in those increments).

As for meat prices, I do not think we could ever go vegetarian, Mom always complains those type of meals are not filling. Plus even though I am not a huge meat eater I do enjoy a little here and there. Like others stretching out meat has become a must. Instead of having a protein, starch and veg I find making them all into one dish really helps use less meat as no one notices the lack of meat when it is all mixed together. Example last weekend I made Mom and a Chicken and Quinoa Fajita dish to take to work I only used one chicken breast cut into small pieces and mixed it in and Mom actually told me next time we could use less chicken and she is the big meat eat and this gave us dinner for both of us plus lunch for me. We rarely ever use a full pound of ground beef now everything is done with a half a pound and this is how we freeze it. Plus we add other things to bulk up the dishes, luckily both of us eat mushrooms so we are constantly add button mushrooms or portabellos to meals to bulk up the dish without the cost of adding more meat. So far we have been able to make it work.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

good morning everyone! @avoncallingu I say thank goodness your flood nightmare is over!! ( and no I personally never got sick of hearing about it, I live for updates! ha ha ) @Angela273 , if it were me I would cook those extra peas up, mash/blend and fill the ice cube trays for baby food ( most of my baby foods I made myself like that ) @saundyl well now I've heard it all! A fox with sticky fingers!! We always knew them as the sly animal, but how incredibly nervy and resourceful!!

I am STILL glued to every Jays game, this is the most exciting time to be a fan I'd say. Decided to make a " compromise " of sorts regarding the games. Both DH and I wanted to attend more games after that one we attended for our anniversary but that is obviously not in the budget, so I called Bell to inquire how much it would be to add High Definition feature to some of the channels?
    As it is now we have HD on some of them ( and the hockey games are 100% more enjoyable on the big screen downstairs because of that.....so crisp/clear ) but the channels that air the Jays games we can only view in regular. So it took less than 10 minutes to change it and we will pay $5.00 more a month for that.

I know for some that might seem a frivolous spend but we are both into watching most sports ( but phooey! to the golf channel, lol ) and DH suffers greatly with his shifts in many ways, so it is nice to have an escape that does not break the bank.

Happy Caturday everyone!!

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

That turkey story was funny( although probably not at the time!). One night a couple of months ago my DH was BBQing a whole flattenend chicken as my sis was over for dinner too. He had set aside the two wings to cook last as they cook so quickly and when he went back out there was only one left. Perhaps a hawk or another bird grabbed it-we have no idea but learned not to leave meat out there uncovered!

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

Avon glad your basement problems are solved.

JnC thanks for the kind words some days are better than other

Well off to have an early lunch and then to strip some wallpaper in my kitchen
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Good morning! DS had a sleepover last night. Hope we get payback tonight lol. Made pancakes and now DS says he loves them (he would never eat them before) So yeah, something I can make Sunday night for school morning breakfast! Overcast day here, was thinking of going to Alliston for the potato festival but not sure now. Really need to clean the garage and start posting stuff for sale. So may do that today and skip out to RCSS for shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Ok I am off to finish the laundry I started last night. Will fold/hang and put away. Then I am off to the garage 60 percent chance of rain today for us so a good day to get the garage done. Tomorrow can be a fun day.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

@avon Happy to hear your problems are almost over.
    @saundyl I`ve heard of foxes in the hen house but never one that steals turkeys.

On Monday the Spinrite tent sale starts. Will check it out but not the first day. It`s sheer madness then. Lineups are so long they only let a certain number of people in at a time. In years gone by this is what the trunk of my car used to look like.

Last year I didn`t find anything I needed so my CC thanked me. lol

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Guess it is a rainy day today! Oh well, giving my washing machine a good work out. I'm cleaning as go along, have the teen's bedding in the dryer and his couch blankets from basement in washer. Pulled 15 shirts from youngests closet and posted for sale. He has grown lol. Just doing this and that today as I move around the house. Skipping the garage today since I wanted to be able to move stuff out to the driveway and can't when its raining. House needs my attention anyway so it works out.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

A side idea- The rainbow coleslaw is on for .99 at Food basics this week ( I will add onion to it next time) but we have had it 2x and still have lots left. Mixed with coleslaw dressing but for Sunday dinner with roast I will mix with miracle whip. Love this simple coleslaw!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-well cleaning today (did 3 loads already)need to vacuum-sort of in between doing my puzzle
    -daughter/hubby are coming to take us out for our birthdays hubby is in july and mine in sept -a treat for sure -plus I haven't seen her in a month (love seeing my daughter )
    -well saved just over 85.00 from checkout51 /snapsaves the past month was gonna put it towards wedding -nope now I will pay my brother-in-law for the brakes /pads he did on my car
    -went to get my car but they are not home -maybe tonight or sunday

Page 14 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread Information